Member Array

ENERGY BOOSTING MEDJOOL DATE SHAKE

The Ultimate Energy Drink for Ramadan. Serves Two
    Ingredients

1 Cup pitted dates
    1 cup milk
    6 scoops yogurt or ice cream
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg.

Directions: Combine milk and dates in a blender and puree. Add ice cream or yogurt and grate the fresh nutmeg into blender. Mix until smooth. Serve immediately.

Kitchen Safety Tips

The kitchen is a dangerous place. Not only are you working with hot surfaces, and boiling liquid, but you're handling sharp knives and utensils that can injure you in a second. So let's learn how to stay safe in the kitchen.

1. Keep Kids and Pets Out!
    Children and pets do not belong in the kitchen. Unless the kids are helping you or learning how to cook, keep them out of the area. Not only can kids and pets be a distraction, but they can easily hurt themselves by getting into raw food, pulling hot pots down, and tripping you while you're carrying something heavy.

When you want to teach your kids about cooking be sure to start with simple recipes that don't involve a lot of cutting, heat, or appliances. Don't hold a baby or child while you are cooking. And remember to teach children to respect the kitchen. It's not a place for horseplay or fighting.

2. Wear Shoes and Safe Clothing
    Like Chandler in Friends, I once dropped a knife on my foot. I did need stitches, although I didn't actually sever my toe. From that day on, I learned that wearing shoes, good sturdy shoes, is essential to kitchen safety.

Make sure you are wearing safe clothes too. Sleeves should not be long and flowy. Do not wear loose clothing or anything flammable, and avoid synthetic clothing, which can melt onto your skin if it catches on fire.

3. Don't Rush
    Rushing around the kitchen will almost guarantee accidents. Unless you're a pro, cut food slowly, do not run from station to station, and take your time when moving hot pots and pans. Saving a few minutes here and there will be negated if you need to make a trip to the doctor's office.

Also never try to bake or cook if you are under the influence of alcohol or medications, or are very sleepy.

4. Always Use Hot Pads
    Keep a good selection of hot pads and oven mitts on hand. Always use them for any bowl, pot, or pan that has been in an appliance. It's especially important to use these items on bowls you are pulling out of the microwave oven. Even microwave-safe bowls can get quite hot, and it's easy to burn yourself. And if a hot pad or oven mitt gets wet, don't use it until it dries. A wet pad or cloth will easily transmit heat.

5. Stir Away From Your Body
    Last year, I got a severe burn on my arm when I was stirring some pasta boiling away on the stove. Some of the water bubbled up and hit my hand, which jerked, sending a spoonful of boiling water onto my arm. This caused a second-degree burn.

Now, when I stir pasta, I use a slotted spoon, and I position the spoon so the bowl is facing away from me. This way, if my hand does jerk again, I won't scoop boiling water toward myself. So, even though it's counter intuitive, hold the bowl of the spoon away from yourself when stirring something hot and boiling.

6. Learn how to Use Knives
    Learn how to use a knife and treat them with respect. Knives should always be sharp. A dull knife can slip and cut. Learn how to chop and slice as chefs do, holding the food with your non-dominant hand, fingers curled under. Go slow until you are confident, and always pay attention.

7. Know Your Equipment and Handle it Properly
    Read instructions that come with appliances and understand how to use them. Never use an appliance that has a frayed cord, and keep small appliances dry and away from water. And never use your fingers to release something caught in food processor blades or mixers.

Be careful with the blades on food processors and blenders; they can be very sharp and can cut you if you just brush against them.

Let appliances cool down before cleaning them. And don't use an appliance for a purpose for which it wasn't created.

8. Clean Up Spills Promptly
    Cleaning up spills as you go not only helps save time when cleaning the kitchen, but will help prevent accidents. Water, food, and grease on the floor will almost guarantee a fall.

Watch out for cooking sprays too. If they are sprayed on the floor, the surface will become very slippery. I always hold the pan I'm spraying over the sink so any over spray will not land on the floor.

9. Know Your Limits when Lifting
    Lifting a hot pot of boiling pasta is one of the most dangerous of kitchen techniques. Think about getting a pasta cooker that consists of a strainer inserted into a larger pot. You just lift the pasta out of the water to drain it, instead of moving a heavy pot of boiling water from the stove to sink.

Lift using your knees and back, and know your limits. Ask for help if you need to move or transfer something heavy.

10. Watch Out for Steam
    Steam can burn just as easily as boiling liquid or a hot burner. Be especially careful around covered microwaved foods, and foods that have been cooked in packets. Open these packages away from your face, and remember to use hot pads. And when you lift a cover off a boiling pot, pull the cover toward you so you don't burn your hand with steam.

11. Learn how to Extinguish Fires
    Always have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen, and be sure that you know how to use it before you need it.

Know a little bit about different fires. Never try to extinguish grease and electric fires with water; baking soda or a pan cover work best. Smothering a fire by removing air is the best way to put most out. Use a pot cover, baking soda, or salt, not water.

A fire in the microwave can be put out just by turning the appliance off and keeping the door closed. A fire in the oven should be extinguished with baking soda or a fire extinguisher.

If you can't douse the fire in a few seconds, call the fire department. Fires can spread so quickly and can get out of control in minutes.

12. Be Careful Around Stove Burners
    Always keep pot handles turned away from the front of the stove; it's too easy to accidentally brush against them and spill hot food on yourself.

Never reach over a hot burner to another pan. Push back your sleeves when cooking food on the stove top. And keep pot covers handy to smother flames.

13. Don't Leave Food Unattended
    Never leave the house when food is cooking or baking, except for a slow cooker. I put my slow cooker on my cool stove top just so it's on a heatproof surface. Food can quickly go from browning to burning to bursting into flame.

If there are children or pets in your household, make sure an adult is in the kitchen at all times. Accidents happen in seconds.

14. Stop, Drop and Roll
    Learn personal safety and fire safety. Teach your children about 'stop, drop, and roll' if their clothing catches on fire. In fact, teach your kids to respect the kitchen, fire, and heat. Nothing in the kitchen is a toy.

15. Keep a First Aid Kit in the Kitchen
    Most people keep a first aid kit in the bathroom. One belongs in the kitchen as well. Make sure it's stocked with up-to-date equipment, including gauze, burn salve, scissors, and the phone number for your doctors and nearby hospitals.
    Last edited by islamirama; May-13-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Administrator Array

Sounds yummy.

“Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (39:53)

Member Array

Default Recipes

Welcome to Manjula's Kitchen

Manjula is here to teach you simple and practical recipes that carry out the authenticity of Indian vegetarian cooking.

For new cooks and cooks new to Indian vegetarian cooking, the combination of video tutorials and written recipes will make it easier for you to understand the fundamentals in cooking Indian dishes. And even experienced chefs will pick up new techniques that will make cooking easier and more flavorful. Indian cooking is not complicated and I will show you creative variations that you can experiment with. Half the fun of cooking is experimenting, so give it a try and make these vegetarian dishes uniquely your own!

Videos and Recipes:

Copyright © 2008 Manjula's Kitchen, All Rights Reserved.
    Last edited by islamirama; Jan-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Moderator Array

Those look like some very tastie recipes, I'm going to try some.

Administrator Array

Wow, masha Allah. You made a great deal of effort for posting these.

Muslim 4 Life! Array

JazakAllaah bro, manjula,lol
    ان الله لا ينظر الى صوركم و اموالكم و لكن ينظر الى قلو بكم واعمالكم

Allah does not look at your faces nor your wealth, but looks at your hearts and your actions!!!

Member Array

Sherbet Recipes

Karışık Komposto - Fruit Compote Sherbet

3 large pomegranates
    ð cup sugar, divided
    4 cups water, divided
    2 large quinces
    3 cloves
    1 stick cinnamon
    2 large tart apples

Break the pomegranates into halves, then divide them into small sections. Remove the seeds into a bowl, working with fingertips and separating them from the skin and membrane. Reserve half of the seeds. Put the remaining ones in a non-corroding bowl, place it in the kitchen sink, and crush the seeds with one hand. Put the mixture through a sieve and let stand at least 2 hours for the sediment to settle. Then strain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve and chill.

Dissolve 1ß4 cup sugar in 2 cups water in a saucepan. Peel the quinces and quarter them, cutting each piece into 3 or 4 slices. Remove the cores and hard centers, put them in the syrup with quince seeds, cloves and cinnamon, cover and cook slowly until the fruit is tender. Remove the quinces from the syrup and reduce the syrup to 1 cup. Remove from heat and strain. Put the quinces in the reduced syrup in a bowl, cover and chill.

Peel the apples, quarter them, then cut each piece into 3 or 4 slices and remove the cores. Cook them in a syrup made with

2 cups water and 1ß4 cup sugar until they are tender and translucent. Remove the apples from the syrup and reduce the syrup to 1 cup. Put the apples in the syrup, cover and chill in a bowl. When you are ready to serve, remove the pieces of fruit from the syrup and arrange them in serving bowls. Mix in the pomegranate seeds. Pour over the fruit a little of the apple and quince syrup and all of the pomegranate juice.
    Serve sprinkled with shaved ice.

Visne şerbeti - Sour Cherry Sherbet

(From The Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook by Ozcan Ozan)

2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 pounds fresh sour cherries
    5 cups water

Combine the sugar with water in a medium-size saucepan and stir the mixture over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add cherries and simmer for about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherries from the pan. Pass them through a strainer, pressing them to extract all the juice. Discard the cherries. Chill the juice for at least 30 minutes and serve over crushed ice.

Finjan Erfeh - "Welcome Cup"

(From Muslim World Cookbook by The Muslim Student Association of the United States and Canada)

4 cups water
    1 tablespoon whole anise seeds
    2 pieces ginger root, bruised 2 whole cloves
    2 cinnamon sticks
    4 tsp. sugar, or more
    4 walnuts or almonds

Boil spices in water until it is dark colored.
    Put sugar and one nut in each cup. Serves 4.

Sharab Loomi ma Ward - Lemon and Rose Sherbet

(From The Complete United Arab Emirates Cookbook by Celia Ann Brock-Al Ansari)

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 cups water
    sugar to taste
    3 teaspoons rose water
    a drop of pink food coloring
    mint leaves for garnish

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend for 30 to 60 seconds. Taste for sugar. Leave in fridge and serve with ice cubes, garnished with the mint leaves. This cold drink is served in tall glasses with ice cubes; more lemon may be added if a stronger flavor is required. Made and served every evening during Ramadan.

Sekanjebin - Sugar-Vinegar Sherbet

(From Persian Cuisine by M. R. Ghanoonparvar)

2 cups water
    6 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups vinegar
    mint stalks or mint flavoring

Put the water in a pan, add sugar and let boil over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add vinegar and boil 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, add mint, let cool. The consistency should be like syrup. If using fresh mint, remove stalks after syrup has cooled. Serve with romaine lettuce. Dip leaves of romaine in a bowl of sekanjebin.

Member Array

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum,

Halloween is a holiday of the non-Muslims and it is not allowed in Islam to celebrate or take any part in it. The purpose of these recipes is not to celebrate Halloween, but to make something interesting for entertainment.

wa'l salaamu alaykum
    Attached Files

Member Array

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Perfect pumpkin pie in half the time of your average back-of-the-can recipe.

Serves 6

1 3/4 cups canned or fresh cooked pumpkin puree

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

2 eggs

1 cup cream

1/2 cup milk

Unbaked, unpricked, chilled 9-inch pie shell (we like lapadia's simple Himalayan Blackberry Pie crust, also on FOOD52)

---

Turn pumpkin into saucepan and stir over direct heat for 10 minutes until somewhat dry and slightly caramelized, stirring frequently. Remove from heat but keep hot.

Mix thoroughly together the sugar, salt, and spices, and stir into hot pumpkin.

Beat eggs, add cream and milk, and beat into pumpkin mixture until smooth.

Pour immediately into unpricked pastry-lined pie pan and bake in a moderately hot oven (400° F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and only an inch circle in the center of the filling remains liquid. Cool thoroughly on cake rack before cutting.

Note: Perfectly baked pumpkin pie has no cracks on its surface. Baking hot filling in a chilled crust at 400° F for 25 to 30 minutes produces a smooth, shiny good textured custard and a well-baked crust free from soaking. But if your crust is rolled especially thick, or your pie dish is thicker glass instead of tin, or you loathe underdone bottom crust, you might still want to blind bake it a little. Here's what we'd recommend: Blind bake at 350 for 7 minutes with baking beans/weights, then 5 minutes without, then cool thoroughly. Then just watch the pie closely as it bakes -- it might be done early, since the cold raw crust isn't there to protect it. And if the edges are starting to look wrinkled while the middle is very jiggly, turn the heat down to 350.

http://www.food52.com/recipes/15143_...ns_pumpkin_pie

Reader Comments:

Regarding the sugar, I never use traditional refined sugar in any recipe, since unbeknownst to most, it contains toxins from the refining process. I normally substitute either agave syrup (from the agave plant) found in most super markets, which is also wonderful on pancakes (it tastes similar to maple syrup and actually comes in flavors like maple syrup) or stevia powder at 1/2 what a recipe calls for since it is a lot sweeter than sugar without any calories and tastes great! What a healthier substitute for a great pie!

Member Array

Salt & Pepper Squid with Asian Salad and Garlic Lemon Mayonnaise

Salt & Pepper Squid (per pair)

• Salt & Pepper Squid (per pair)
    • 2 cleaned squid hoods
    • 2 Tbs vegetable oil
    • 1 Tbs plain flour
    • ½ tsp salt
    • ½ tsp ground white pepper
    • ½ tsp Chinese five-spice
    • Pinch of cilli powder
    • ½ Lemon, cut into 2 wedges
    • 1 cup iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
    • ½ Lebanese cucumber, halved, thinly sliced
    • 1 spring onion, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
    • 2 Tbs fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
    • ½ red chilli finely sliced
    • ½ lemon, cut into wedges (to garnish)

1. Combine the lettuce, cucumber, shallot, coriander and chilli in a medium bowl.
    2. Use a sharp knife to cut through 1 side of each squid hood lengthways. Open out flat with inside surface facing up and score surface diagonally. Cut into 5cm strips and pat dry with paper towel.
    3. Combine the flour, salt, pepper, Chinese five-spice and cilli in a medium bowl. Add the squid and toss gently to coat.
    4. Heat oil in fry pan.
    5. Remove half of the squid from the flour mixture and shake off any excess. Add to the oil and cook, turning with tongs for 3 minutes or until the squid just turns golden and curls.

Transfer the squid to a large plate line with paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining squid.
    Serve immediately with lemon wedges and garlic mayonnaise.

Mayonnaise (per pair)

• 2 eggs yolks
    • 4 teaspoons lemon juice
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 200 ml vegetable oil
    • ¼ tsp salt
    • Pinch of white pepper

1. Place egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Place the bowl on a tea towel to stop it from moving while you are whisking. Use a balloon whisk to combine mixture until it begins to thicken. (whisk vigorously for 5-8 minutes)
    2. Pour a few drops of the oil into the egg-yolk mixture and whisk until well combined. Continue adding oil 1 Tbs at a time, whisking well between each addition. It is important to whisk the oil in gradually. If it is added too quickly, you may have problems incorporating (emulsifying) the oil and the mayonnaise could separate or curdle.
    3. One all the oil has been incorporated, taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning with extra lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired. Serve with Asian salad and squid.

Member Array

Cheesy Baked Manicotti

Ingredients
    16 oz. ricotta cheese
    8 oz. mozzarella cheese
    4 oz. Parmesan cheese
    One egg
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    16 oz. tomato sauce

Directions
    1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
    2) Cook manicotti according to package instructions. Be sure to cook in salted water. Drain in colander.
    3) Mix cheeses, egg, garlic and bread crumbs in a bowl.
    4) Stuff cheese mixture into cooked and drained pasta. Use a small spoon to help mixture into center of manicotti.
    5) Coat bottom of a baking dish with half of the tomato sauce.
    6) Place filled pasta in baking dish. Cover pasta with remaining sauce and top with extra Parmesan cheese.
    7 )Bake for 10 minutes.

Make sure that any cheese that you buy says "Suitable for vegetarians", or has a halal certified stamp from a recognised body, or equivalent, on the product label. If it doesn't have any of those, it may not be halal, and should be avoided. Commercially, the milk used for cheese tends to be split into curds (the cheese) and whey (the left over liquid) using rennet, an enzyme from calves [or pigs] stomachs, and these calves are most often not halal slaughtered. Nowadays though, quite a few companies are using other non-animal methods of splitting the milk, and they label their cheese as "suitable for vegetarians."

Just always make sure to read the label before you buy.

Member Array

Oat cookies

Ingredients:
    100 g butter
    1 dl sugar
    2 dl oat flakes
    1 tablespoon wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg

Melt butter, add others, sugar first. Put to oven pan 12 pieces of paste (wides at oven).

Bake +392 F degrees 8 - 10 minutes.

Eat with tea or coffee.

Member Array

Baba ghaloush/Eggplant Dip

Ingredients:
    Eggplants - roasted
    Lemon juice
    Tahina
    Garlic
    Salt
    Olive oil
    Parsley (optional)

Making quite same than hummus bi tahini. Mix all together. How much each one needs depends what taste good for you.

Bread for dipping

---

Hummus bi Tahina (Chickpea and Sesame Dip)

Ingredients:

125 g (4 oz) chickpeas, soaked for a few hours
    juice of 2 lemons
    3 Tbs. tahina
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    salt

GARNISH

1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 tsp. paprika
    a few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped

Drain the chickpeas and simmer in fresh water for about an hour or until tender. Reserve the cooking water.

Process the chickpeas in a blender (or food processor) with the lemon juice, tahina, garlic, salt and enough of the cooking liquid to obtain a soft creamy consistency.

Serve on a flat plate, garnished with a dribble of olive oil, a dusting of paprika (this is usually done in the shape of a cross) and a little parsley.

Serve with warm pita bread for dipping.

Member Array

Spinach pastry triangles (Fatayer sabanekh)

Dough

4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

1/2 cup of yogurt

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) olive oil

pinch of salt

one sachet (2 1/2 teaspoons) dried yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1 cup warm water (divided into 1/4 cup for proofing the yeast and 3/4 for kneading the dough)

Spinach filling

1 kg fresh spinach (or 500 g frozen spinach with the water squeezed out)(See notes)

1 medium onion finely chopped

1 green onion finely chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sumac (optional)

2-4 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid or (depending on how tart you like the filling to be) See notes

Instructions◾To make the dough
    ◾Proof the yeast with 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. (proofing the yeast means mixing it with sugar and water and waiting for it to foam and bubble. Foaming means that the yeast is active and good to work with and this should take 10-15 minutes at most)
    ◾While waiting for the yeast to proof, add the salt to the flour then add the olive oil and rub it into the flour with your finger tips.
    ◾Add the yogurt and again rub it into the flour.
    ◾When the yeast has bubbled, add it to the flour mixture, and mix
    ◾Gradually add in the water, you may need a little more of less as different flours absorb water differently. You need to add water and knead the dough until it is smooth and round.
    ◾Brush a bowl with a little oil, place the dough in it and drizzle some more oil to keep it from drying
    ◾Let the dough rise in warm place covered with a moist towel until it doubles in size. This should take about one hour depending on how warm or cold the weather is

Prepare the stuffing
    ◾If using frozen spinach: Defrost and thaw out the spinach. Place it in a colander and squeeze out as much juice as possible. You want it to be very dry.
    ◾If using fresh spinach: chop the spinach then place it in a pot and wilt for 2-5 minutes over medium low heat. Allow the spinach to cool then squeeze out as much juice as possible. You want the spinach to be very dry

◾Chop the onions very fine and add them to the spinach.
    ◾Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sumac. Add the spices and lemon juice immediately before stuffing the pastry. If you do it too early the stuffing will be too wet. If the stuffing is too wet, it will open up the turnovers.
    ◾Cut the dough into egg sized pieces.
    ◾Roll out each piece into a circle
    ◾Add 1-2 tablespoons of stuffing
    ◾Pinch 2 ends first and then the third to form a pyramid.(If you have a little trouble with sealing the dough, dip your finger tips in flour.)

◾Place the fatayer on a greased cookie sheets and make sure all the fatayer are sealed well .
    ◾Bake them on the middle rack of a preheated oven at 270 C. for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.
    ◾Turn on the broiler until the tops are golden
    ◾Cool the fatayer on a wire rack

Notes

Can I add other greens to the spinach pastry stuffing? Yes, you can replace part of the spinach with oregano, collard green or kale

Lemon juice or citric acid traditionally these spinach fatayer were made with lemon juice and consumed immediately. The problem with using lemon juice if that it makes the filling wet and this can cause the pastry triangles to open during baking or to turn slightly soggy if you store them for a couple of days. To get the tart taste without the extra fluid you can use citric acid. Citric acid is a week organic acid that is used to add a tart or sour taste to food and it is used to acidify milk in cheese making.

Tart or mild the use of sumac, citric acid or lemon juice is meant to add a tart taste to the spinach filling. You can make these spinach triangles without them and enjoy a mild fatayer. If you choose to use them, the amount is up to your taste. The amounts in the recipe are suggestions. Add them little by little and adjust the amounts according to your taste.

Shapes: You can shape these fatayer or pastry in any shape you like. Any form that encloses the filling is fine.Here is one more suggestion on how to fold them

Member Array

Cheese and anise bread

(feteer falahi bjebneh - Palestinian peasant pastry)

To make 8 squares

The dough
    1 kg all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon yeast
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    water
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

I usually half the recipe to get 4 squares, you can double or half the recipe according to your needs

The filling
    Cheese and anise filling
    3 cups of nabulsi cheese (or any firm salty cheese that holds its shape during baking) cut into small 1 cm cubes
    2 tablespoons anise

Instructions

Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl , set aside

In a 1/4 cup of warm water dissolve the yeast and sugar and wait for the yeast to bubble (this is called proofing the yeast, if the yeast does not bubble and foam, it has gone bad and you need to buy a new one)

Add the salt to the flour, whisk to combine, add the yeast/water mixture and start kneading adding water gradually till you get a soft sticky dough consistency (I needed 2 cups of water but the amount varies with the type of flour)

Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes, allow to rest , covered in a warm place for half an hour

In a bowl add the vegetable oil and olive oil and keep it next to your working area.

Wet your hands with a little oil and cut the dough into 8 balls , brush each ball in the oil mixture and allow to rest for another 10-15 minutes

Brush a pan or your working surface with a little oil, start with the first dough ball you cut and spread it into a circle roughly 25 cm or 10 inches in diameter

Brush the top with a little oil then fold one-third of the circle onto the middle third of it (as you can see in the picture)

Spread your filling onto the folded part of the dough then fold the other third over the filling (the dough should now look like a rectangle)

Fold one-third of the rectangle over the middle third, cover it with your filling of choice.

Fold the other third over your filling (now you should have a square dough)

Allow this one to rest while you start working on the next one.

Once you have stuffed and folded all the dough balls, go back to the first square and brush it with oil and spread it into a larger square using a rolling-pin or your hands. Then do the same with the rest of your squares.

Note: The larger and thinner you spread the filled dough, the more crispy the final brad will be. If you would rather have a soft and chewy bread, don’t spread the filled dough squares too much

Transfer the dough to a baking sheet that you have brushed with oil and sprinkle them with anise.

Bake on the middle rack of a preheated oven (270 C or the highest temperature your oven will go)

Once the bottom is golden brown, turn on the broiler till the tops are golden brown too Don’t leave this bread unattended, it browns quickly because it is thin

Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack for 7-10 minutes and then cover with a clean dry cloth to keep it from becoming dry.

Notes:
    ◾This bread can be frozen for up to 3 months, just wrap well in a plastic bag and freeze it.When you want to eat it just get it out of the freezer and into a heated oven for a few minutes till it is warmed through and it will be as good as new
    ◾You can make the bread in a smaller individual portion size by cutting the dough into smaller balls (16 balls instead of 8 if you are making the whole recipe)
    ◾Nabulsi cheese is a salty firm cheese made from goat’s milk, I will be sharing the recipe and the step by step procedure to making it in a post coming very soon. If you can’t find it, you can replace it with any firm and salty cheese you like
    ◾The filling can be adapted to your liking. Spinach and onions, oregano and green onions, or almonds are the traditional choices but you can try new and different combinations,use your imagination.

Member Array

Honey pistachio sesame cookies “barazek”

Makes 30 cookies

1 cup (200 g) butter softened
    1 and 1/4 cups confectionary sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons vinegar
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup pistachio roughly chopped
    1 cup sesame seeds
    3 tablespoons honey or simple syrup (see notes)

Cream the butter with the sugar until the mix becomes light in color.

Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until completely incorporated

Add the vanilla and vinegar and beat

Whisk the flour with the baking powder and add it gradually with the salt to the mix and beat untill just incorporated

Do not over mix

Cover the dough and leave it in the fridge to rest for an hour up to overnight

To roll and bake the barazek cookies

Mix the sesame and honey and place it in a plate
    place the chopped pistachio in a plate

Line your baking sheet with parchment

Place your oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 C

Start by rolling pieces of the dough into walnut size balls

Press the dough ball into the pistachio, flatten it a little

Flip the cookie dough and press it into the sesame honey mix (If you like extra sesame topping, use a spoon to top the cookie with more sesame honey mix and press it into the dough to make sure it sticks)

Arrange the cookies on your baking sheet 2 cm apart

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown

Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes

Take out of the oven and allow to cook on the tray for 5 minutes them transfer to a wire rack and cook completely

Store in an air tight container

Notes:

If you find it hard to get the sesame topping to stick to the cookies, you can take a spoonful of the sesame honey topping and press it gently to the top of the cookies instead of pressing the cookies into the sesame

You can make these cookies crunchy by making them thin, the thinner they are the more crisp and crunchy they turn out to be after baking but you will need to reduce the baking time as they will bake faster when they ate thinner. I like them a little on the chewy side so I made mine a little thick

By simple syrup I mean the syrup you make by boiling 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. You can flavor it with rosewater , cinnamon, orange peel or leave it plain

Member Array

Cheese stuffed bread

Stuffed bread is so versatile, it makes for a great lunch or sliced up it is a wonderful appetizer for a party. It is faster and easier than making individualized appetizers and the best part is: the possibilities for the stuffing are endless.

Triple cheese stuffed bread: combine cheddar and other hard or semi-hard cheeses.

Mediterranean cheese: Feta, cheddar and Halloumi cheese with mint

Not a fan of cheese try: minced meat with sautéed onions, tomatoes and pepper

Want a vegetarian version: try spinach and sautéed onions

Feeling like something sweet: some softened butter and cinnamon turn this into a yummy dessert

Not into too much butter but still into something sweet: try stuffing it with date paste with cinnamon and cardamom

Ingredients
    ◾1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
    ◾3/4 cup warm milk
    ◾1 egg
    ◾1/4 cup (57 gram) butter, softened
    ◾1/4 cup (50 gram) white sugar
    ◾1/2 teaspoon (2 grams)salt
    ◾3 1/4 tp 3 1/2 cups ( 416-448 gram) all-purpose flour
    ◾2 teaspoons (8 grams) dry yeast
    ◾1/4 teaspoon (1 gram)cardamom optional

For topping
    ◾1/4 cup (60ml) of milk
    ◾1 tablespoon (14 gm) sugar

Stuffig
    ◾1 cup (80 grams) cheese shredded (you can use any firm salty cheese)
    ◾5 springs parsley or mint

Instructions

In a bowl whisk the egg with milk, water, sugar, butter and yeast.

Set aside

In another bowl sift the flour with the salt and the cardamom .

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead until you get a smooth dough.

Place it in a bowl you have brushed with some oil and cover it with a wet cloth and leave it in a warm place to double

(If you are tight on time you can heat your oven to 200 C then turn it off and place your dough in a glass bowl and place it in the warm oven with the wet cloth covering the bowl)

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface

Roll into a rectangle

Spread cheese stuffing leaving 1 inch (2.5cm) margin all around

Roll the dough from the long side into a tube form

Join both ends of the tube and pinch the dough together

Using a scissor or a knife make cuts that go 2/3 of the way through the dough

Turn the slices 90 degrees so that cut part faces upward

Using a brush, brush the dough with milk

Allow to rest for 15 minutes during which you would heat your oven to 270C (500F) (rack in the middle)

Bake for 5 minutes on 270C (500F) then lower the temperature to 200 C (400 F) and cook for 15-20 more minutes (ovens do differ greatly, so the time may differ..what you want is to bake it until the under side is golden brown)

Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes until it is golden brown on top

Member Array

Kibbeh

Ingredients

Shell:
    1 1/2 cups fine bulgur wheat
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1 1/2 cups roughly chopped yellow onions
    3 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Filling:
    1/2 pound ground beef
    3/4 cups finely chopped yellow onions
    1/3 cup pine nuts lightly toasted
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    oil for frying

Directions:

To make the outer shells, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 20 minutes then drain in a strainer, pressing to extract the excess liquid.

In a large bowl, blend the beef, onions, cumin, salt, and pepper to a paste. Add the strained bulgur wheat and mix well. Process again, in batches, in a food processor until smooth and pliable enough to work like a dough, adding a little ice water if needed.

To make the stuffing, in a large skillet, cook the meat, stirring, over medium-high heat until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, allspice, pepper, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the pine nuts. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

To make the final dish, with wet hands, shape the raw meat-bulgur mixture into egg-sized balls. Make a hole down the center of each ball with an index finger to make a deep cup with a pointed bottom. Stuff each ball with about 1 tablespoon of the stuffing. Press down on the sides and top to enclose the filling and reshape into a smooth egg with a pointed top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, wetting your hands frequently.

Preheat the oil to 360F/175C degrees.

In batches, add the kibbeh balls to the hot oil and cook until golden brown and the meat is cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature, with the Yogurt-Garlic Sauce for dipping.

Note: You can also bake kibbeh in the oven. 392F/200C degrees, about 15 - 20 minutes.

Member Array

Fette Sau Coleslaw

What you’ll need:

2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tbsp sesame oil
    ½ head cabbage, shredded
    ½ head red cabbage, shredded
    1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
    1 green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
    1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
    1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup coleslaw dressing
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

How to make it:

1. Add the mustard, garlic, and vinegar into a blender. While the blender is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, followed by the sesame oil, until silky and well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, apple, mayonnaise, coleslaw dressing and pour in the balsamic dressing. Note: You may not need to use all of the balsamic dressing. If you like creamier coleslaw, add more. If you like lighter coleslaw, add less. Leftover balsamic dressing can be used as salad dressing.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Member Array

The great Eid bake off: Top 5 dessert recipes to indulge your guests with

During Eid, communities come together to eat, pray and love. Energetic smiles fill the rooms as family and friends gather to fill their stomachs with an array of cuisine.

Food is central to Eid celebrations. And what are celebrations without any desserts?

This Eid wow your family and friends with some sweet delights from knafeh to panna cotta.

We have teamed up with Ayesha Razak from mybigfathalalblog.com to bring you the top five dessert recipes to try.

Knafeh

An amazing sweet Middle Eastern pastry filled with cheese

Ingredients

FOR THE SUGAR SYRUP

• 2 cups sugar
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 tsp lemon juice
    • 1 or 2 sticks cinnamon (optional)
    • 1 tsp rose water (optional)

FOR THE KNAFEH

• 1 packet of knafeh dough (you can find this at many Middle Eastern grocery stores)
    • 6 tbsps butter/ghee
    • Orange powder food colouring (optional)
    • 1 litre milk
    • 4 heaped tbsps corn flour
    • 250g ricotta cheese
    • 200g mozzarella
    • Handful of pistachios

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 200°C
    2. Begin my adding the ingredients for the syrup to a pan and heat over a medium flame for about 10-15mins. Set aside and leave in the fridge until later.
    3. Add 4 tablespoons of butter/ghee to knafeh dough/pastry and mix with your hands so that the butter/ghee is spread evenly throughout the dough.
    4. Divide the dough in 2 halves.
    5. Spread 2 tablespoons of butter/ghee onto a 12” round baking tray. At this point you can add the orange food colouring to the ghee so that the top of the knafeh has an orange colour (optional).
    6. Spread one half of the dough onto the tray and press it down firmly.
    7. Place in the oven for 10-15mins until golden.
    8. For the cheese- heat 750ml milk in a non-stick pot and keep stirring so that it doesn’t burn.
    9. Mix 4 heaped teaspoons of corn flour in a separate cup of 250ml cold milk until it dissolves and add this to the milk in the pot. Keep stirring until the milk thickens to a custard-like consistency (add more corn flour if needed).

10. Once the milk has thickened, add 250g of ricotta cheese and 200g of mozzarella.
    11. Once the cheese has melted, use a hand held blender to smooth the mixture.
    12. Pour the cheese over the dough that was in the oven and leave the edges free of cheese to prevent burning.
    13. Place the other half of the knafeh dough over the cheese and press down gently.
    14. Put in the oven again for 15mins until golden.
    15. Once done, pour the syrup over the knafeh and decorate with nuts of your choice – I used pistachios.

Notes

• You can find the knafeh dough and knafeh powder food colouring at Middle Eastern supermarkets

Kalakand

A creamy sweet type of Indian sweet

Ingredients

• 1 tin condensed milk
    • 400g paneer
    • 3/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
    • 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
    • Handful of chopped nuts to decorate - e.g almonds and pistachios

Instructions

1. Line a square baking tray with grease proof paper and set aside.
    2. Finely grate the paneer.
    3. Add the grated paneer, condensed milk, cardamom powder and sugar to a pot and heat over a medium flame.
    4. Mix constantly to prevent burning for about 7-10 mins. Once the liquid starts to reduce and the mixture moves away from the pot remove from heat immediately.
    5. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and top with nuts.
    6. Once cooled, place the tray in the fridge overnight to set.
    7. The next day, cut the kalakand into squares and serve.

Notes

• This recipe makes 12 large squares of kalakand.

Strawberry mousse

A refreshing summer strawberry dessert

Ingredients

• 1 tin condensed milk (400g)
    • 1/4 cup lemon juice
    • 2tbsp icing sugar
    • 300g strawberries
    • 250g cottage cheese
    • 500ml whipping cream
    • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Instructions

1. Blend the condensed milk, lemon juice, icing sugar, strawberries and cottage cheese together.
    2. Add 1tsp of vanilla essence to the cream and whip until medium to stiff peaks form.
    3. Fold about 2/3 of the cream into the strawberry mixture.
    4. Divide the mixture into serving dishes.
    5. Pipe the remaining 1/3 on top and decorate with strawberries.

Notes

• This recipe makes 6-8 servings

Mango panna cotta

A light and airy mango dessert

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pint double cream
    • 9 tbsp sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla paste
    • 3 tsp of halal gelatine granules
    • 3 mangoes

Instructions

1. Begin by mixing the cream, sugar and vanilla paste and bring this to a boil.
    2. Carefully add the gelatine granules, making sure everything is blended well.
    3. Set in dessert bowls and chill for several hours in a fridge
    4. Liquidise and chill the mangoes
    5. Once the panna cotta has set, top with mango and some cream.

Notes

• You could use sweetened mango pulp if fresh mangoes are not available

Malva pudding

My favourite South African dessert. A spongy caramelised pudding topped with hot, buttery, vanilla cream

Ingredients

FOR THE SPONGE

• 1 cup sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 1 heaped tbsp apricot jam
    • 1 cup flour
    • 1/4 cup self raising flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • Pinch of salt
    • 1 tbsp melted butter
    • 1 tsp vinegar
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

FOR THE SAUCE

• 1 cup double cream
    • 4 tbsp butter
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup hot water
    • 1 tbsp vanilla essence

Instructions

1. Begin by beating the sugar and egg well and then add in the apricot jam.
    2. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, self raising flour, baking powder and salt.
    3. In another separate bowl mix together the melted butter, milk, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.
    4. Add all the above ingredients to the jam mixture by adding this alternatively.
    5. Bake for 50mins - 1hr at 180°C in a large rectangular dish or use cake moulds for individual puddings.
    6. For the sauce, add all the ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil.
    7. Pour the sauce over the pudding as soon as it is baked and serve warm.

Notes

• The pudding is delicious with a scoop of ice cream.