Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
    Junior Member Array

Exclamation What do muslims do for entertainment?

Being a muslim in todays world is hard as everything that comes our way has to be filtered. There are too many clashes with society and it gets difficult to draw the line.

Like any other teenager, I watch movies, listen to music and read novels; but it gets hard to filter content that may not be appropriate according to islam.. First of all music (even though not mentioned in the Quraan) has been prohibited by certain hadits(even though its just string and wind instruments.. umm how can there be any music without guitars?). So maybe listening to music may be completely wrong.. Novels may be nice but again its hard to filter out what may be considered inapropriate according to islam. I find myself thinking and debating about what may be incorrect and what not.. As far as movies are concerned, even though it may have a good plot, it may include maybe a swear word.. One good way may be abandoning all of it. Wouldnt it seem strange when people ask you to listen to a song but you say I cant? because its wrong? Then.. WHAT CAN MUSLIMS DO FOR ENTERTAINMENT??

The other day I was watching watching The Little Mermaid with my 5 year old cousin and even though I have seen it so many times when I was younger, I never realised how much it clashes with the Islamic thought... Even as it ended with a kiss, my cousin looked embarrased.. but then we think that its a "kids" movie after all and what bad about it? Animated movies like shrek should actually be PG -15 rated for all the double meaning jokes and other inappropriate contect.

I recently found out that there are plenty of subliminal messages in walt disney movies- suggesting children to get involved in drugs, sex and all haram prohibited things. An article in the time magazine stated that the movie Lion King had so many subliminal messages that the children who watch it today are murderes of tomorrow. In such a world its so hard to filter things out for the muslim community especially impressionable children.. Where do we draw the line between social interaction Islamic beliefs?

My grandma always says that Islam does not expect you to abandon normal life for deen, but include life in deen since Islam is a way of life.... "Deen and Duniya" But in this really inapropriate duniya (world), how do we entertain ourselves?

Administrator Array

There are many Islamic alternatives. Sound Vision (soundvision.com) has many novels for children that are based on Islamic themes. They also have many DVDs.

Sports is another form of entertainment. Get involved in your local youthgroup. The Muslim American Society (MAS) has many youth centers around the country. The one in our area holds many activities for youth. Yesterday, they had a ping pong tournament for the brothers. They will be holding one for the sisters as well. They are going snorkeling in San Diego in July. And they hold many fun activities, such as Fajr on the beach, hiking, etc.

Those are just some suggestions.

Administrator Array

Assalaamu'alaikum, greenprincess.

You brought up an nice topic. It's not only today's world in which everything has to be filtered, it's the dunya as a whole. That is the purpose of the dunya, as a test and a temptation for us. We just have to recognize it as such and then know that when we are choosing the correct option in the situation where we have to make a decision, we are doing the right thing. Don't feel like you are being deprived or going through so much trouble to be a good Muslim, but feel that alhamdulillah Allah has blessed you with making the right choice and allowed you to do things in the way He wants you to, the way that is best for us in this life AND the next. Tell yourself that you are pleasing Him.

There are many halal entertainment options, like brother Hussein mentioned. Here are a few more: picnics with friends or family, renting a "clean" movie or Islamic documentary and watching with friends at home, going to a restaurant (possibly halal), different sports, sightseeing, pursuing hobbies, etc.

As far as music, there can be music without guitars. Try drum/duff only music, like nasheeds. There are great nasheeds in diff languages out there. I would strongly suggest looking into this, b/c it is very important what you listen to. What goes in your ears directly affects the state of your heart. The ears are one of the inroads to the heart and its state of taqwa, so we should be very careful about what we listen to.

By the way, do you have a link to the Time magazine article you mentioned, or at least know in which issue you read it? I read an article a long time ago about Disney movies / subliminal msgs but I lost the article and couldn't find it afterwards. I'd love to have it for reference.

“Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (39:53)

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Aaminah
    By the way, do you have a link to the Time magazine article you mentioned, or at least know in which issue you read it? I read an article a long time ago about Disney movies / subliminal msgs but I lost the article and couldn't find it afterwards. I'd love to have it for reference.
    Waleikum Assalam,

Thanks for your answer... I don't have the article, but I found another link that has a lot of information about subliminal messages in disney movies:

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/tcom.../gp13/gp13.pdf

You might even want to watch this video on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6rlYem8-kfE

Quote Originally Posted by Hussein
    Sports is another form of entertainment. Get involved in your local youthgroup. The Muslim American Society (MAS) has many youth centers around the country. The one in our area holds many activities for youth. Yesterday, they had a ping pong tournament for the brothers. They will be holding one for the sisters as well. They are going snorkeling in San Diego in July. And they hold many fun activities, such as Fajr on the beach, hiking, etc.
    Wow! I didn't even know things like that existed! too bad I dont live in the US.

Administrator Array

Thanks for the links...I'll look into them. The video was a bit strange..

“Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (39:53)

Administrator Array

This site proves that some of the subliminal msgs in Disney movies are actually false: http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/films.asp Disney films are not guilty of all the things they're accused of.

Administrator Array

A lot of it is not subliminal. Disney is slowly corrupting young minds. The movie, "Enchanted" is evidence of this, as well as Prince Caspian and other recent movies.

A lot of new entertainment is coming out under the guise of being "Islamic", such as the group, Outlandish. However, there is very little about the group that is Islamic.

So we have to be careful.

www.islamqa.com Array

This is a very good and important topic indeed. If we look at today's youths (muslim youths) it is hard to tell them apart from the non-Muslims. Every boy wants to be a "gangsta" and every girl want's to be "sexy mama".

There are many factors that are making this possible. The number one and most important of all is how we are raising the kids. What environment are we giving them at home? How much islamic upbringing are we giving them.

Television is one of the biggest fitna in today's society. It is the third parent in the house that teaches young kids everything while the real adults are doing something else. Look at your 5yr old cousin, she's learning about being a princes and finding her prince charming, and defying her parents just by that mermaid movie, not to mention how limited clothing is perfectly normal as well as kissing and hugging boys.

Shaykh At-Tahhaan once told his students, “It was late at night when our phone rang one day. This Muslimah whispered into the phone, ‘Is this Shaykh At-Tahhaan?’ I said, ‘Yes it is me.’ She kept saying is it really you? And he said, ‘Yes, what is wrong?’ At that she just started sobbing and sobbing into the phone. After some time, she explained, ‘The children’s father bought a TV and video 2 days ago. Tonight I found my young son practicing the Haraam that he saw on his younger sister!’ Then she collapsed sobbing again.”

Everything starts with a look, and big fires start from a little spark.

Ruling on watching TV, videos and satellite channels
    http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=13003&ln=eng
    we have to watching our kids, younger siblings, cousins in what they watch since we've been there and know what all that junk does to us. I know several sisters who limit their kids to very little tv watching and that too what they show only, like islamic stuff like "adam's world". Also, there tons of islamic books for kids and teens that one can read. The have islamic history, lives of the prophets, jinn stories, stories of the sahabas, just about everything you need.

Also for entertainment, there is tons to do as bro Hussain mentioned. One does not need to be glued to the or tuned into other electronic media to enjoy it. There are many communities that hold youth activities for their kids. There's islamic school in my area that offer's its kids various activities each month, such as learning how to swim, karate, basketball, tennis, and other stuff.

Even Music wise, there is lot of good islamic viable sources out there. There's the "islamic songs" by people like sami yusuf but it has music in thus doesn't really qualify as Islamic. But there are other great nasheeds out there like from zain bhikah and other great artists that don't use any instruments or use only duff (one sided drum). Also, there very good lectures out there on various islamic topics one can listen to.

You mentioned you are not in the US. You don't have to join any social youth club to have fun. You can always have your friends get together and do something together in privacy of your home or get enough teen sisters and rent out a place for sisters only and just have fun activity day.

here's an example of a good islamic nasheed:

Can't Take It With You
    http://www.youtube.com/v/8dtSRvyfxc4

Administrator Array

Some interesting stuff to read about Disney:
    MICKEY MOUSE MONOPOLY:
    DISNEY, CHILDHOOD, AND CORPORATE POWER
    http://www.mediaed.org/videos/Commer...seMonopoly.pdf
    It's a movie, and the link is to a study guide for the movie.