Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
    Administrator Array

Default talking during khutbah

Please answer the following statement. I really want to know what people think.

Statement: It is haram to talk while the (eid or jumu'ah) khutbah is being delivered.

“Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (39:53)

Senior Member Array

Default Re: talking during khutbah

salaam wa alaikum wrwb....

is this just a poll or any posting can also be made? i dont want to make a poll into a posting one coz that does not serve the purpose of what one has intended to do...so when i know insha Allah then i can post....ameen....

salaam wa alaikum wrwb......

Administrator Array

Feel free to post about this topic if you want, but please don't give away the answer to the poll question just yet.

I was hoping a lot more than 4 users would vote...

“Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (39:53)

Senior Member Array

salaam wa alaikum wrwb.......

no not yet insha Allah.....let me wait for more days before i post it coz then it would not serve the purpose of ur poll u know....i dont wanna lose its cause....insha Allah i can wait.....

jazakallah Khair.....

Junior Member Array

Narrated Abu Huraira "The person who takes a bath then comes to the Jum`a prayer, then offers the prayer that was destined for him, and then keeps silent till the Imam finishes the sermon, and then prays along with him, his sins between that time and the next Friday would be forgiven, and even of three days more" (similar hadiths appear in Abu Dawood, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad bin Hanbal)

According to another tradition: "when the precher comes forward to deliver the sermon, then it is improper to say any prayer or engage in conversation."

What I learned from my school is that it is totally haram to say anything during the Khutbah.
    You can't even tell the guy next to you who is talking to be quiet.

Administrator Array

Administrator Array

There are actually two questions:

1) Is it haram to talk during the Friday Khutbah?

and

2) Is it haram to talk during the Eid Khutbah?

The Friday Khutbah is part of the salah and is the reason that the Prayer is minimized from 4 rak'a to 2 rak'a. Thus, if anyone talks during the Friday Khutbah, it is as if they were to speak during Salah and this would nullify their Salat.

The Eid Khutbah is Sunnah and is not mandatory.

'Abdullah ibn as-Sa'ib said: "I prayed the 'id salah with the Messenger of Allah and when he finished the salah he said: 'We will be delivering a khutbah. Whoever wishes to stay for the khutbah may stay. Whoever would like to leave, may leave . ' " This is related by an-Nasa' i, Abu Dawud, and Ibn Majah.

You will also notice that the Friday Khutbah comes before the Salah, whereas the Eid Khutbah comes after the Salah.

Member Array

Regardless of whether it is sunnah or fard(eid khutbah), doesn't mean that it is o.k. to talk during it. There should also be some etiquette to follow whilst performing a sunnah or that sunnah is also nullified(take fasting for an example). As far as saying things are haram, I'm gonna think ten times before saying that.

Jazakallah Kairun
    Asalamualikum Warahmatallahi Wabarakatu

Administrator Array

muslim7, I did not imply that it is okay to talk during the Eid Khutbah. If you are not in the prayer hall, you may speak, since it is not a must to attend the khutbah.

I mentioned the reverse order of the Eid Khutbah, because the Friday Khutbah comes before Salah and therefore, you cannot leave until the prayer finishes. Whereas with Eid, the prayer comes first and then the Khutbah, which allows people to leave if they would like to. And definitely there is more reward for staying and listening to the Khutbah.