The Gist of How to Self-Publish an E-book On Amazon

I think that everyone has at least one-good-book in them. As the lyrics of Seven Nation Army stated, "Every single one's got a story to tell." I have come across many accomplished individuals who when engaged in dialogue produce marvelous insights. For some of them I suggested, "Hey, why don't you publish an e-book on Amazon?" Often, defensive responses are fired my way. "Me? No way, I'm not a good writer" or "I have no idea how to publish on Amazon."

Well, it's a good thing that we don't have to be a Stephen King to write a book. Having a grasp of the English language is a good start but writing books are not reserved solely for gifted wordsmiths. There are many techniques that writers can use to cover-up their shortcomings: Finding engaged reviewers or hiring meticulous editors is a good start for sanitizing a book from messy errors. If you invest oodles of time writing on the web, whether it's social media or on blogs then you're already a self-publisher; you just don't know it yet. Once you get past the mental speed-bumps slowing you down from writing your e-book, you can think about how you're going to attack the self-publishing process.

In order to self-publish an e-book on Amazon the ingredients you'll need is a word processor, Epub management software, and book cover. A word processor like MS Word will do the trick for building your draft. Once you're happy with what you got the next step to the equation is to convert the doc file into Epub format–this is crowned the defacto standard by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). Other e-book distribution services like Kobo, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble Press accepts it which opens the door for increased distribution. There's a popular open software that's used for Epub generation which is Calibre; you can see it in action by watching the demo. An alternative more minimalist solution is an online Epub converter like To ePub.

There are two ways for getting your e-book cover designed: you can do-it-yourself or you can compensate a professional designer. If you elect to take the DIY route then you can consider taking advantage of the KDP Cover Creator. You can alternatively opt for the more expensive but aesthetically pleasing route which is to rent someone's talent. You can find skilled graphic designers on freelance services like Upwork that will bid for the opportunity to work on your project.

Once the Epub and book cover is finished the final step is to upload your files to Amazon KDP and fill out the details of your book. Once everything is submitted you'll need to wait for Amazon to approve your book which can generally take anywhere from 1-12 hours. Once done, finito, you've self-published your own e-book.

Calibre: Open source suite for e-book management created by Kovid Goyal:

To ePub: Free Epub conversion service. Upload your doc file here to have its representative Epub file created:

KDP Cover Creator: A tool built by Amazon that helps you create homemade book covers:

Upwork: A website in which clients can hire freelancers:

Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP): Helps authors and publishers to speedily publish their books globally on Kindle: