Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatwa Corner

Member Array

Answering the Phone with 'Hello'

Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, may Allah have mercy upon him, said, "We have seen those who teach foreign languages to the Muslim youth (for example), instead of saying As Salaamu Alaikum, what does he say? 'Good-bye'. We ask Allah, As-Salaamah (that he frees us from this affliction).Also on the public phones, when answering, what do people say? 'Hello'. La Ilaaha Illallah (used in astonishment). Where is the statement of As Salaamu Alaikum, which is from the Sunnah?! So when you answer the phone, say As Salaamu Alaikum, it is much better than the statement hello."

Refer to Sharh Usooli At-Tafsir pg. 209

Also, we have heard from our Sheikh Yahya Al-Hajooree, may Allah preserve him, many times in his lessons criticize answering the phone with the statement of hello.

Also, I have asked Sheikh Abu 'Amr Al-Hajooree, may Allah preserve him, in regards to answering the phone by hello, has hello now become an Arabic word? He replied, "No, it is not an Arabic word, and it is compulsory to leave such a statement."

This habit that the Muslims have taken upon themselves, has caused them to leave off the greetings of Salaam.

Compiled by: Abu Fajr Abdul Fattah Al Kanadi

Member Array

Names of Prophet Muhammad

Question:

I heard somewhere that the Prophet (peace be upon him) has 99 names? Is this true? What are those names?

Answer:

The names of our Prophet (peace be upon him) cited in the hadth related by Jubayr b. Mut`im are five. He relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I have five names: I am Muhammad, I am Ahmad, I am al-Mh for Allah eliminates disbelief by me, I am al-Hshir since all people gather under me at the day of Judgment, and I am al-`Aqib. [Sahh al-Bukhr (3532), Sahh Muslim (2354), Sunan al-Tirmidh (2842) and Musnad Ahmad (80/81/84)].

These are the authentic names of the Prophet (peace be upon him) that he cited himself.

There are other names stated in the Quran. Ibn Hajar writes: The other names of the Prophet (peace be upon him) which are mentioned in the Quran are: al-Shhid, al-Mubashshir, al-Nadhr, al-Mubayyin, al-D` il Allah, al-Sirj al-Munr, al-Dhikr, al-Rahmah, al-Ni`mah, al-Hd, al-Amn, al-Muzammil, and al-Mudaththir. More names came in the hadth related by `Abd Allah b. `Amr b. al-`As which is al-Mutawakkil.

Other famous names are: al-Mukhtr, al-Mustaf, al-Shfi`, al-Mushaffa`, al-Sdiq, al-Musaddiq and others.

Ibn al-Qayyim mentioned other names in his book Zad al-Ma`d such as al-Qsim, al-Dahk, al-Qattl, `Abd Allah, Sayyid Walad Adam, Shib Liw al-Hamd, Shib al-Maqm al-Mahmd. However, these are all descriptions and not really names.

What the questioner said regarding 99 names is not substantiated by any authentic hadth related from the Prophet (peace be upon him).

Ibn Dahiyyah writes in his book devoted to the prophetic names: Some people said that the Prophets (peace be upon him) names are equivalent to Allahs names (i.e., 99 names)... "If someone were to search for them, he would find them to be more like three hundred names.

He then goes on to enumerate these names in his book, referring them back to his sources in the Qurn and in different biographical works. He also mentioned the proper way of pronouncing these names and their meanings.

This is as far as I can go in this matter, and may peace and blessing be upon our Prophet Muhammad.

by: Sheikh `Al A. al-Jumu`ah, professor at al-Imm University, Qasm Branch

http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-14-990.htm