Quran is the Most Popular Book of All Time
Its not exactly a ripping yarn, but the Koran is the most popular book of all time.
by Ollie McAteer - 15 Jul 2015
The religious text has been translated into 50 different languages, has nearly 400 editions and more than three billion copies have been printed.
The King James Bible is a close runner up, with 2.5 billion copies to its name.
In third place is Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung.
Harry Potter (the entire series, which you could say is kind of cheating) makes it into fifth place, while wildcard The Very Hungry Caterpillar slides into the list among the weighty tomes with 30m copies sold.
The list is ranked by lovereading.com and takes into account the number of editions, translations and copies sold.
Most popular books of all time
1. The Koran 3 billion copies sold
2. The King James Bible 2.5bn
3. Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-tung, Mao Zedong 800m
4. Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes 500m
5. Harry Potter series, JK Rowling 450m
6. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens 200m
7. The Lord Of The Rings, JRR Tolkien 150m
8. Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupιry 140m
9. Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll 100m
10. Dream Of The Red Chamber, Cao Xueqin 100m
11. And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie 100m
12. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkein 100m
13. She: A History Of Adventure, H.Rider Haggard 83m
14. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, CS Lewis, 85m
15. The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown 80m
16. The Catcher In The Rye, JD Salinger 65m
17. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle 60m
18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, Jules Verne, 60m
19. Millennium Trilogy, Stieg Larsson 50m
20. Watership Down, Richard Adams 50m
21. Odyssey, Homer 45m
22. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle 30m
23. To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee 30m
24. Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell 30m
25. Nineteen Eight-Four, George Orwell 25m
26. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald 25m
27. The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain 20m
28. Andersons Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Anderson 20m
29. Pride And Prejudice, Jane Austen 20m
30. Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe 9m
That account is actually higher. It's not taking into account all the buying done by organizations like your local mosque and giving it away free or saudi ministry sending free copies of it to the masjids to distribute.
It was also a best seller as Christmas present few years back.