Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt News

islamirama.wordpress.com Array

Default Egypt News

Too young to wed: child ‘brides’ in Egypt rented for summer

Friday, 16 August 2013

In many societies, marriage is a celebrated institution and a promise of life-long fidelity between two adults; in some areas of the world, such as Egypt, the reality is very different for some individuals.

In el-Hawamdia, an agricultural town 20 kilometers south of Cairo, Egyptian fixers arrange marriages between girls as young as 11 and much older Gulf men, reported the Inter Press Service News Agency (IPS) recently.

The United Nations estimates that child sex tourism affects approximately two million children globally per year.

Every year 14 million girls around the world become child brides, that’s 38,000 new brides every day, according to the Washington Post in a recent article on the realities of being a child bride.

Egypt’s sex tourism industry is ongoing despite a 2008 law banning child marriages.

Also Islam’s ban on pre-marital sex is being undermined by the phenomenon of quick marriages, sometimes lasting only one day.

The sham nuptials last as little as a few hours or as much as a couple of years, with the deals hatched by a myriad of “marriage brokers.” Many brokers also offer a second service of delivery,” with village girls as young as 11 brought by the brokers to the Arab tourists’ hotel or rented flat for selection, reported the IPS.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the sex trade has grown since Egypt’s 2011 revolution as a result of worsening economic conditions, encouraging families to send their young daughters out for marriage, and an ineffectual police force.

How much?

A one-day “mut’a “or “pleasure” marriage can be arranged for as little as 800 Egyptian pounds ($115), the money is split between the broker and the girl’s parents, reported the IPS. With a summer-long “misyar” or “visitor,” marriage runs from 20,000 Egyptian pounds ($2,800) to 70,000 Egyptian pounds ($10,000), stated the report.

The legalities

For the duration of the marriage the temporary contract offers a way to circumvent Islamic restrictions on pre-marital sex, allowing the “husband” and “wife” to stay in hotel rooms. This would otherwise be prohibited as un-married couples are not allowed to share hotel rooms in Egypt.

The legally non-binding contract terminates when the man returns to his home country.

Reactions and reality

Azza el-Ashmawy, director of the Child Anti-Trafficking Unit at the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood, describes the sham marriages as prostitution.

“It’s a form of child prostitution in the guise of marriage,” he said in an interview with IPS. “The man pays a sum of money and will stay with the girl for a few days or the summer, or will take her back to his country for domestic work or prostitution.”

The statistics are horrifying with el-AShmawy highlighting that some girls have been married 60 times by the time they turn 18 years old. That’s 60 old men whose hands they have gone through as minors.

Meanwhile, UNICEF calls child marriage “the most prevalent form of sexual abuse and exploitation of girls.”

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/08/16/Too-young-to-wed-child-brides-in-Egypt-rented-for-summer-1872.html

Comments:

The Gulf Arabs are the worst of the Arabs, these jahils are worst of the Ummah as well. Their leaders topple pro-islamic leaders like Morsi, support Israeli war crimes in Palestine among other atrocities while their society supports domestic slave labor, and on top of that these jahils go to other places like Egypt or refugee camps of Syria and Iraq to take advantage of these innocent and disadvantaged daughters of the Ummah, be it via sham muta marriages or just out right kidnapping and rape.

Female prisoners tortured and sexually abused in Egypt's jails

08 February 2014

Egypt's Women against the Coup movement has revealed that the authorities arrested 200 women in December and January and accused the interior ministry of torture and sexual abuse. "We registered the arrest of 200 women since the ratification of the Demonstration Act, which requires prior permission from the interior ministry for any demonstration and imposes severe retribution against dissidents," said a report by the group.

According to Turkish news agency Anadolu, the women's movement pointed out that female students from Al-Azhar University top the list of prisoners, which includes girls under 15 years old and elderly ladies of 60-plus.

The movement's report noted that most arrests took place on the last Friday of December when 40 women were taken into custody. "Criminal sentences handed down in absentia started to appear in January," the report said. "Six female students from Al-Azhar were sentenced to one year in prison and six from Nasser City were sentenced to five years."

Women against the Coup said that violations against the women prisoners "started from the minute that they were arrested"; the report also uses the term "kidnapped". "They were beaten by batons, their scarfs were removed and they were pulled by the hair; clothes were ripped off and they were sexually molested by officers who touched their private parts," it alleged.

When the prisoners arrived at police stations they were obliged to strip off their clothes and, again, police officers touched their private parts and beat them before putting them in "inappropriate" cells. "After they were taken to Al-Qanater Prison," claims the report, "the women faced virginity tests and were mixed with common criminals, who also attacked them."

The UK-based Arab Organization for Human Rights said that it had received complaints from the families of 12 students imprisoned in Egypt. "The complaints indicated that the ladies were beaten, insulted and sexually abused by soldiers or policemen when they were arrested."

Egypt's Deputy Interior Minister for Western Cairo, Brigadier Ali Damardash, denied the accusations. Speaking to Anadolu, he said: "I do not understand the violations it (AOHR) is speaking about. This is completely untrue… Egyptian prisons follow a system that respects international human rights… There is no basis for all the rumors about torture or violations in the Egyptian prisons."

It is worth noting that many domestic and international human rights organizations, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, have issued dozens of reports describing the serious violations taking place inside Egyptians prisons. Human rights activists are denied permission to visit the prisons or meet the prisoners.

Evidence of Abuse

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...n-egypts-jails

Details of Tahrir Square sexual assaults emerge, Egyptians react

CAIRO: The video of a naked, bruised woman that has been going viral amongst Egyptians since late Sunday was shot June 3 during celebrations after President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi was announced the winner of the presidential election, according to a Monday prosecution report.

Three men, 27, 19, and 16 were arrested for assaulting the 43-year-old woman and her 19-year-old daughter.

The mother’s face and identity were not clear from the video.

“I was wrong. This is the last time and I will not do this again. I did not mean it,” the 19-year-old accused in the assault told the prosecution.

The daughter told the prosecution that a mob repeatedly groped her and tried to strip her, until the police arrived and prevented further assault. She accused the three arrested men and others.

During the incident, the mother fell to the ground while trying to help her daughter, then around 20 people surrounded, groped and completely stripped her.

A large pot of boiling water that belonged to a street vendor selling tea fell on her, causing burns over 25 percent of her body. She added that someone was trying to strangle her.

The mob continued to molest her injured body, causing additional wounds in sensitive areas and attempted to do the same to her daughter, the prosecution report stated.

Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Waly and Minister of Health Adel al-Adawy visited the woman Tuesday at Helmiya Military Hospital, Waly told Mehwar television channel.

Adawy said the woman is a journalist who was covering the celebrations and that her mental and physical state is “bad.”

Soha Hosni, a friend of the survivor, told CBC channel that the woman has 10 stitches in her genitals as a result of the attack.

Wael Sakr, in a Facebook page comment, claimed to be the plastic surgeon who treated the woman’s burns on June 5. He said that she had been burned the day before, and quoted her as saying a young man had stabbed her in a sensitive area and that a group of men had dragged her for several meters.

“One of them stabbed her with a pocket knife… why? What were you thinking you filthy idiot when you stabbed her?” Sakr wrote.

“I cannot believe this happens in Egypt. The lady is a wreck and in poor psychological and health condition… I am once again asking how did we lose our ethics. You cannot hold back your tears when you see her,” Sakr continued.

The lawyer of one of the alleged perpetrators withdrew from the case after a survivor identified him and burst into tears upon seeing him, Youm7 reported.

Newly elected President Sisi ordered Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim to “resolutely” apply the law to counter the phenomenon of sexual harassment, presidential spokesman Ehab Badawy said in a press statement Tuesday.

Sisi also ordered police Capt. Mostafa Thabet be honored for his role in saving a woman in her 20s after he found her naked and being sexually assaulted in Tahrir Square in a different incident Sunday.

Thabet told Dream 2 channel Monday that even after he fired warning shots in the air, the perpetrators did not stop.

“We saw death with our own eyes yesterday. Getting out of [Tahrir Square] was extremely difficult,” Thabet said

The police captain said assailants had developed a method to isolate and target women for harassment.

“They have a way they do this. The girl is inside the crowd and cannot leave because of the crowd, then four or five young men tell her they will take her out. When she walks with them, they surround her and make a circle,” he added.

“I personally identified two. I met eyes with one of them. I pushed him, but he told me ‘no, sir, I am with you, I am defending her,’ but once I looked back at him he was harassing her,” Thabet said before coldly addressing the alleged assailant. “I will never forget or fail to recognize you.”

Witnesses at Tahrir Square during celebrations

On Sunday, while Sisi was being inaugurated, at least four women were sexually assaulted at celebrations in Tahrir Square. Seven people were arrested, aged 15, 16, 20, 22, 23, 33 and 49.

Sherif Mohy, a political researcher and volunteer in anti-sexual harassment groups, said on his Facebook page Sunday that military and police forces at Tahrir Square were passive when he reported incidents of sexual harassment to them.

He said that groups of young men were at the square not to celebrate Sisi’s inauguration, but to “party in their own way on the bodies of the girls.”

He added that a man took out a pistol to defend a victim, but no one cared.

“The real problem is that the video of stripping the woman by animals in the middle of Tahrir Square was of the lesser disturbing things I saw with my own eyes there,” Mohy said.

A housewife told the prosecution Tuesday she was in Tahrir Sunday celebrating with her two children, 10 and 12, when a mob tried to kidnap them. When she begged them to leave the children, they told her to choose between herself and the children. Then, a group of 15 men dragged her to a side street, cut her clothes off with pocket knives and took turns molesting her.

She added that police were busy dispersing other sexual harassers in the square.

Mahmoud Gamal, a 23-year-old engineering student, launched a Facebook page called “Execution for Harassers” Monday, which has already been “liked” by over 61,000 people. He told The Cairo Post he had never been politically active or mobilized for an event or page before witnessing the harassment in Tahrir Square.

Gamal was in Tahrir Square on June 3, and said he saw three girls stripped naked.

He said security forces, especially military personnel, moved instantly once they heard about a sexual assault and fired shots in the air to disperse attackers.

Gamal was not able to confirm whether or not detentions took place because there were many people and the majority of attackers ran away. Security forces’ first priority was to save the victim, and then to arrest perpetrators, he said.

He added that he sensed “genuine fear” for the survivors on the part of the security forces, and that they did not leave them until they were clothed and safe to leave.

Citizens “vigorously helped” in defending the women and gave them their own clothes to cover up, or bought them clothes from nearby stores, according to Gamal.

“The goal of the campaign is to restore the dignity of women and their participation in social life like before. No women or girls partake in social life with us because of this unethical phenomenon,” Gamal said. “A minority of us has become so obscene. Sexual harassment has become public. When the video sparked outrage, I felt that people would react and that we could do something together, so I launched the page.”

Gamal said there needs to be a law toughening penalties for sexual harassment perpetrators, or vigilante violence as a reaction to harassment will spike.

“I saw citizens using large batons and belt buckles to attack the young men and take them off the victims. This is a normal reaction to attempted sexual harassment or rape in a public space,” he said.

“Execution for Harassers” has a cover photo that reads “If I saw a dog harassing a girl, no matter what type of harassment, I would kill him.”

Several fans of the page have the same photo as a profile picture and numerous comments on Facebook and Twitter call for castration, execution, public humiliation and forced nudity for perpetrators.

This is not the first campaign to counter sexual harassment with such ideas.

As sexual harassment persists, “Harass Harassers” and “Tie Harassers” are other campaigns that have recently emerged advocating literal combating of sexual harassers.

Older movements like “Harassmap”, “I Saw Harassment” and “Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment” pursue different approaches, such as social awareness against gender-based violence and advocating legal amendments to help the cause.

ِAlso, the young age of many accused of sexual harassment and rape in recent years has triggered several voices to call for trying them as adults in court.

Inspired by Indians who protested the recent gang rape of two girls, Dena Elshabba created an event on Facebook called “Walk like an Egyptian Woman: We are out to reject the disaster of raping Egyptian women in the streets.”

The event was created Monday and 17,000 people have so far clicked “going.” They are supposedly going to protest sexual harassment on Saturday in Cairo’s upscale Zamalek district.

http://thecairopost.com/news/114408/...gyptians-react

Comments:

As the article shows, the citizens were beating these animals with sticks and belts to get them off the poor women and were trying to cover the women from indeceny. These animals are not the citizens, they are either outsiders, hired to go cause chaos there or are animals within hired to do the same. As many have said, execution is the only solution to to handle such dogs.

Wife of Egyptian detainee tells how she was threatened with rape by interrogators in front of her husband

VIDEO

Video clip posted on YouTube on June 22, 2014

This appears to be a press conference in which the wife of detainee Hasan Anwar tells the story of her torture by security agents in front of her own husband.

Text of video clip:

He said to me: "Look behind you." Because I'd been beaten so badly I could not see. He asked: "Who is this?" I said: "My husband." He said: "Look what he has done to you." I said: "He has not done anything to me. You are the one who brought me here and beat me but he has done nothing. You are punishing us."

He said to me: "You say I'm punishing you?" He took me into a room, the room he [her husband] was in. They tried to rape me. My husband said: "Enough, enough, let her go." He [police officer] was telling someone to undress me.

My husband said: "Let her go, let her go, I'll talk but get her out of here."The officer replied: "No, you talk first and then we take her out of here."

He said to him: "I swear I'll talk just take her out of here."I was blindfolded before I was brought into this room. The officer started removing my veil and niqab [face cover] and as a result the blindfold dropped. When they brought me into the room they started to do all this, and I was screaming loudly and I kept saying "what you're doing is haram."

My husband kept telling them to tell him what they want and he'd say it but don't do this. He said: "Take her out of here and I'll talk. What are the charges you want me to admit to? I'll confess but let her go." So they took me out.After they did all these things and despite everything they did they brought him down to the floor. They [the police officers] said: "If he does not talk bring her back."

My husband said to him: "Tell me what is it you want me to confess to. I'll say whatever you want me to say so that you let her go." He said to him: "I'm telling you that you will have to talk, you will have to talk. Or else..." he said to a policeman "go and fetch her."

They brought me back in to the room.When they took out of the room before, they blindfolded me and strapped my hands behind my back.[In the room] He held me and dropped me on a chair. He said [to the policeman]: "Put her hands on the door so that we suspend her too to make him talk."

My husband said to them: "By Allah and I swear to God 100 times, if you want me to say anything I'll say it just tell me what happened, what is it you want me to say, I don't know, what is it?"

That's it. I was shocked by all that which was going on. I didn't know what was happening. They strapped my hands behind my back, blindfolded me and carried me and put on a chair, then wanted to suspend me.I said to him: "If I am suspended... when you suspended my husband I heard him shout very loudly, I was horrified by his screaming. If you do this to me I don't know what I shall do."

My husband said: "Just tell me what to say and I shall say it, but let her go, please."

He let me go and brought me out. They then started beating my husband severely as if in revenge from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock. At the same time, they said: "Bring her back." I went in to find my husband with everyone on him, about five people, on top of him.

He was blindfolded but from the beatings his blindfold had slipped.I was still blindfolded and my hands were tied behind my back. I was emotionally drained. He dragged me and pushed me into the room.

Note: This page was updated at 11.45 GMT on June 24, 2014 to correct translation errors in the copy and the headline.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...of-her-husband

Egypt's Sisi defends fuel price rise of 78% as taxi drivers stage protests

New president under fire as police use tear gas to disperse taxi drivers angered by sudden price increase

Cairo's taxi and microbus drivers have staged impromptu protests in anger at a surprise rise in fuel prices, providing an early test of the popularity of Egypt's new president, Abdel Fatah al-Sisi.

In several Cairo neighbourhoods roads were temporarily blocked as fleets of the city's distinctive white taxis came to a standstill, while in the canal cities of Suez and Ismailia police used tear gas to disperse a small gathering of microbus drivers.

Egyptians woke up on Saturday to the news that petrol prices had risen by up to 78%, part of a broader swath of price increases that the government says is necessary to boost Egypt's ailing economy.

Food and energy subsidies traditionally eat up a quarter of state spending and the government is taking steps to reform its subsidy programme and revive an economy badly scarred by three-and-a-half years of political upheaval.

Successive governments have avoided such a decision, fearful of a potential backlash from a population already faced with rising food prices and an unemployment rate of 13.4 percent. More than a quarter of Egypt's 82-million strong population lives in poverty.

How the country reacts to the new price hikes, just one prong of the government's broader austerity strategy, will provide clear indications of the strength of Sisi's popularity. Although he was elected with over 96 percent of a public vote in May, turnout was sluggish. A year after the overthrow of former president Mohamed Morsi, Egypt remains jaded and divided.

Although Egypt's prime minister defended the subsidy cuts on Saturday, saying that the savings would be channelled towards improving health and education, Egypt's newspaper front pages gave his words short shrift the following morning.

"The hour of suffering has struck," read the headline on privately owned daily Al-Masry Al-Youm. "The fire of fuel lights the street," said Al-Shorouk, an independent newspaper.

"I would not have voted for Sisi if I had known he would do this," said Ahmed Mohamed, a Dokki microbus driver, after returning from the neighbourhood's drivers' strike. "The poor cannot bear it. With the money I made yesterday, I could only just afford food for my family after buying petrol. But today, I'm worried I will take nothing home at all."

Across the neighbourhood, drivers spoke of their disbelief at the overnight price increase. "Even meat was more expensive today because the driver said it cost more to transport it. Does the president really think we will take this?" asked Ahmed Maher, another taxi driver.

Analysts have cautiously praised the Sisi administration's willingness to tackle the politically sensitive subsidy issue, but express concern over the haphazard manner in which it came to pass.

"It seems that little coordination with key stakeholders and the people likely to be affected by these changes was done," said Karim El Assir, an analyst at Signet institute, a Cairo-based economic thinktank. "Reform of energy subsidies is a key policy priority for Egypt but this is really only the first step towards serious reform and there is still much to be done."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-protest-sisi

Comments:

Nothing but a ploy to deprive the already starving public and oppress them further by the new pharaoh of Egypt.

54 documented cases of women being raped while detained in Egypt

A source within the coalition supporting ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi claims that they have documented 54 cases of women being raped in detention centres, two of who became pregnant and have not aborted until this day, Anadolu news agency reported on Thursday. This comes at a time when security sources are denying what they call rumours of rape or any other violations in the Egyptian prisons.

The source, who preferred to remain anonymous, revealed that: "The committee set up by the alliance during months of February and March documented 54 cases of rape inside different detention centres, including police stations and prisons, deportation cars and armoured police units, as well as other unknown places."

In some of the cases, the source pointed out that the women became pregnant following the rape and aborted; however, for others the abortion was a danger to their lives and they are now in their seventh or eighth month of pregnancy.

The source, who attended the committee hearings, added that: "There are two cases when women were raped more than 14 times in a single day within the camp of the Central Security, or the riot police, and another case when a woman was raped daily for a whole week in one of the police stations," but refused to disclose the identity or places.

The source explained that the documentation process has happened away from the media because of the extreme sensitivity of the political situation, and given that the women are suffering psychologically following the rape.

It was not possible to obtain an immediate response from the Egyptian authorities about what the source revealed; however, a security source denied on Wednesday what he called rumours about the existence of rape or cases of abuse in Egypt's prisons.

The coalition supporting ousted President Morsi held committee hearings in February and March to listen to women detainees who were released and to understand what they experienced inside the prisons and the police stations, from harassment to rape.

The committee consisted of representatives from Women Against the Coup and other independent human rights groups.

Ayatollah Alaa, a spokesperson for the movement Women Against the Coup, told Anadolu on Wednesday that: "The movement has presented to numerous human rights and political parties files detailing 20 documented cases of rape and physical abuse in prisons, detention centres, stations and other unofficial places."

There are no official numbers for those arrested since the ousting of President Morsi last July, with Egyptian authorities typically rejecting any accusations of arrests based on political grounds, stating that the prisons are empty, contrary to media reports, and that those languishing in prison face charges relating to violence or incitement to violence.

However, activists on social networking sites have shared a video clip of an Al-Azhar student called Nada Ashraf talking about the details of her own rape inside a police vehicle.

Ashraf says in the video that her ordeal began when she saw a police officer harass a girl at the university, grabbing at her breasts violently. So she called out to him, "Do you think you're a man like this?" only for the officer to leave the girl currently in his hands and tell Nada that, "I'll show you if I'm a man or not," according to the video.

In her testimony she explains that he then pushed her into the truck, tearing her clothes when she resisted. Other soldiers harassed her, with one crying at being unable to help her.She added, the officer kept repeating "you'll know if I'm a man or not" and then raped her.

A security source responded to the accusations saying that such talk is only done by supporters of the ousted president in order to turn public opinion against Egypt.

The source added, "Either report the rape cases to the prosecutors or shut up," suggesting for the victims to turn to the same state institutions that have criminalised them.

In one case, one of the detainees was suspended inside the cell naked and harassed by the policemen inside the station; some were forced to watch pornographic films while others were forced to wipe the floors of the prison with their naked bodies.

It is worth noting that non-governmental organisation the International Coalition for Egyptians Abroad submitted a memorandum to the Commissioner General of Human Rights at the United Nations in Geneva, demanding an investigation into what they termed "the status of Egyptian women after the dismissal of former President Mohamed Morsi'.

The memorandum documented a number of local cases of rape and harassment by police inside the security apparatus, as reported by international human rights organisations, against "political prisoners" in Egypt who dissented against the authorities.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...ained-in-egypt

A Zionist Egypt has emerged under Al-Sisi

24 July 2014

It was once the heart of the Arab world, playing a central role in Middle Eastern politics. The largest Arab country, populated by 86 million people, and with a record of being at the forefront in playing the role of mediator in conflicts within the region, particularly those relating to Palestine. In Egypt today, there is little of the traditional Arab solidarity towards Palestinians to be found; there is, though, the emergence of anti-Hamas, anti-Palestinian sentiments among Egyptians.

The Gaza Strip, whose almost 2 million people live in less than 360 square kilometres, affects Egypt, but is affected more by the internal affairs of its mighty neighbour. This is primarily due to the fact that Gaza's leadership, Hamas, is part of the Muslim Brotherhood, an organisation which was overthrown in Cairo by a bloody coup one year ago.

Relationship issues

Whilst struggling under a siege which has been imposed by Israel and Egypt, Gaza is now also being attacked by the world's fourth largest army, the so-called Israel Defence Forces; Cairo remains silent. Gaza has experienced different relationships with Egypt over the past four years, from absolute hostility, to neutrality, to absolute support. Currently, the besieged land gets no help from the government in Cairo; it gets only unequivocal hostility.

It was in Cairo in 2008 that Israel's Tzipi Livni announced the start of "Operation Cast Lead" against Gaza, one year after the siege was put in place, helped by the Mubarak regime.

When the 25 January Revolution came along in 2011, Mubarak's regime claimed that it was Hamas which was responsible for killing protesters in Tahrir Square. Following Mubarak's overthrow, things took a turn for the better under the interim SCAF (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) government; the blockade on Gaza was eased, with the Rafah crossing, the only border not controlled by Israel, allowing Palestinian women, children and men aged over 40 to pass into Egypt.

During SCAF rule, Egypt mediated the deal between Israel and Hamas for the release of Sergeant Gilad Shalit in exchange for the release of 1,027 Palestinian prisoners.

After the first post-revolution elections, Egypt had its first democratically-elected civilian president, Dr Mohamed Morsi, a candidate for the Muslim Brotherhood. He supported Hamas.

When Israel launched its attack on Gaza in November 2012 – "Operation Pillar of Defence" – Egypt gave Gaza it's full support. Prime Minister Dr Hisham Qandeel went to visit Gaza during the onslaught. Egypt also managed to broker a ceasefire and truce between the Israelis and Palestinians which ended the offensive.

Incitement of hatred

Following the military coup in July 2013, and in the footsteps of Mubarak's regime, Egypt went back to having a completely hostile attitude towards Gaza, at an unprecedented level. It closed the Rafah crossing once again and destroyed the tunnels which were considered a life-line for the Palestinians in the Strip.
    With the current heinous Israeli military offensive on Gaza which has claimed the lives of over 740 Palestinians to-date, with more than 5,000 injured (the figures are rising by the minute), Egypt is playing the role of spectator and refers to the offensive as an exchange of fire by both sides. Al-Sisi's government ignores the fact that Israel's army is attacking a densely populated strip of land whose people possess no army, navy or air force. In the new Egypt, the aggressor and the victim are the same, equating the Palestinian resistance and Israel. This is a position that not even Mubarak took.

Whilst the children of Gaza are bidding farewell to their childhood and their lives, and homes are obliterated and entire families annihilated, the Arab world is silent. Even Gaza's closest, once intimate, neighbour; the neighbour that was always looked to for comfort and support, if not from its leaders, then at least from its people, has made no condemnation of Israeli brutality.

The incitement of hatred in Egypt against the Muslim Brotherhood since Morsi was elected led to the bloody coup and the largest massacre seen in Egypt against his supporters. This has been redirected over the past year against Hamas on a governmental, military, judicial and media level.

As a result, Egyptian fervor for the Palestinian cause has subsided. The Egyptian viewer is constantly told that Hamas is a terrorist group; it is the Muslim Brotherhood: "We must not forget that Hamas is the armed branch of the Muslim Brotherhood terrorist movement," Egyptian TV presenter Amany Al-Khayat told viewers.

"The support for Palestinians has waned dramatically," said one Egyptian journalist. "The Egyptian silence in the face of Israel's latest offensive is expected amid an unprecedented and coordinated media smear campaign against Hamas."

The emergence of Egyptian Zionists

The dehumanisation and gloating seen amongst the Egyptian people when peaceful anti-coup protesters were annihilated, is the same now being witnessed towards Gaza, with several television presenters praising and supporting the Israeli military operation against Hamas. Some salute Israel and encourages it to wipe out Hamas and the people of Gaza.

"Thank you Netanyahu and may God give us more people like you to destroy Hamas!" tweeted Azza Sami of the Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram. Another Egyptian wrote: "May God make the State of Israel victorious in its war against the terrorist movement Hamas during this holy month of Ramadan."

Hamas and the Palestinians are shocked by this reaction to the Israeli military operation. One Hamas spokesman said: "It's disgraceful to see that some Egyptians are publicly supporting the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip while Westerners are expressing solidarity with the Palestinians and condemning Israel." Since the Israeli offensive, there has been an immense worldwide public uproar with many countries seeing tens of thousands of people protesting in the streets to condemn the atrocities and call on their governments to put pressure on Israel to stop its crimes.

This sort of incitement towards Palestinians has never been seen before in Egypt; some of the state mouthpieces go so far as to claim, ridiculously, that what is happening is not a war, but an agreement between Israel and Hamas to embarrass Egypt. According to presenter and staunch mouthpiece of the Al-Sisi regime, Tawfik Okasha, "Hamas has made an agreement with Israeli intelligence and planned for the firing of Hamas rockets into Tel Aviv." Another, obviously ignorant, TV personality claimed that the people of Gaza were better off under the Israeli occupation than under the Hamas-led government.

The forgotten child

In May during his presidential campaign, Al-Sisi said that should any Arab nation be threatened in its national security, then Egypt would be there straight away and that Egypt will "not accept any threat to any Arab country." Gaza appears to be exempt from this promise. Not only is the onslaught against Gaza taking place with the blessing of the new coup government in Egypt, but it has also been coordinating with Israel in Sinai to destroy the tunnels and close the Rafah crossing.

Wounded Palestinians have been refused entry, and convoys carrying much-needed medical aid have been turned away, strengthening the siege on this open-air prison and putting more pressure on Hamas on behalf of Israel. Atallah Eid, a 24 year old Palestinian who managed to make it through Rafah was among the very few wounded allowed to do so. "I was so happy when I was told that I was going to Egypt to complete my treatment, but what I heard with my ears and saw with my own eyes made me wish I had died in Gaza and never come to Egypt," he said.

Another injured Palestinian said that he wants to return to Gaza as soon as possible. "I don't want to finish the treatment. I wish they didn't bring me to Egypt... Its image would've stayed rosy in my eyes."

Mutual enemy

Israel has not publically admitted its alliance with Egypt over its operation against Gaza. However, Israeli journalist and political analyst Danny Rubenstein, speaking on Al-Jazeera, admitted that there is some kind of understanding between the two countries on the Gaza onslaught agenda and that both have mutual interests in attacking Hamas.

Operation Protective Edge was the first test for Al-Sisi on foreign affairs since officially taking the presidency, and he has failed miserably. While the attack on neighbouring Gaza was making headlines worldwide, Al-Sisi failed to mention anything in the speech he made to the Egyptians on 10 Ramadan, corresponding to the second day of the onslaught. The Rafah border has remained largely closed in the face of the wounded and injured Palestinians, and not a word of condemnation has been made by the president of the largest country of the Arab world. If Egypt was once known as the "mother of the world", this mother seems to have disowned its closest child as the killings next door continue unabated.

Loyalty from behind bars

In a country where over 1,000 of its own people were massacred in one day - shot, beaten, burnt and gassed - and the perpetrators were praised and saluted, it doesn't seem so surprising that the same people would allow more massacres to occur in a neighbouring country.

Without doubt there are still many Egyptians and Arabs who sympathise with Gaza and are outraged. Indeed Egypt has seen many protests under banners proclaiming, "To you we come Gaza!" though they do not receive airtime and the calls for Gaza are drowned by the new Egyptian Zionist voices.

The Arab world is largely silent, with no condemnation from any leaders, apart from the ousted democratic President of Egypt, Mohamed Morsi, from his prison cell: "To you we come Gaza! To you we come Gaza! To you we come Gaza!" And he means it.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ar...-under-al-sisi

Comments:

All these hypocrites will have to answer on Judgement Day and no one will save them then. They killed, raped and tortured their own people during their bloody coup and now they are in bed with zionazi in their holocaust of the Gazans.

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Prophet (SAW) said, "By Allah, he is not a believer! By Allah, he is not a believer! By Allah, he is not a believer." It was asked, "Who is that, O Messenger of Allah?" He said, "One whose neighbour does not feel safe from his evil." [al-Bukhari (6016) and Muslim (46)]

Another narration of Muslim is: Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "He will not enter Jannah whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct".

And when it is said to them (hypocrites) : "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad Peace be upon him , Al-Ansar and Al-Muhajirun) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not. (Al-Baqarah 2:13)

And when they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe," but when they are alone with their Shayatin (devils - polytheists, hypocrites, etc.), they say: "Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but mocking." (Al-Baqarah 2:14)

Allah mocks at them and gives them increase in their wrong-doings to wander blindly. (Al-Baqarah 2:15)

Verily, the hyprocrites will be in the lowest depths (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them. (An-Nisa 4:145)

Horrific Child Abuse in Egypt Orphanage Uncovered

Egyptian social media users have erupted in anger following the circulation of a video showing the horrific child abuse of multiple orphans.

The video (above) shows the manager of ‘Dar Mecca Al-Mokarama Orphanage’ on Al-Haram Street in Giza beating young children by kicking them, hitting them with a long stick and spanking them after they opened the fridge and turned on the television.

The manager, identified as Osama Mohamed Othman, is shown brutally beating the orphans and kicking them away, as they run away screaming in pain and crying.

Egyptian social media users have called for the man’s arrest and an investigation into the orphanage.

Update:

The man caught on the video abusing the orphans has been arrested by local authorities and the orphans have been transferred to a new orphanage.

According to the Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Wali, an investigation has been opened into the abuse and the children have been moved to a new orphanage for their safety.

Meanwhile, Al-Ahram has quoted the wife of the orphanage as claiming to have released the video of the child abuse to ‘expose her husband.’

“He used to beat the children and that’s why I filmed him and uploaded it online: in order to expose him,” said Elham Eid Awad to Al-Ahram.

Watch video at:

http://egyptianstreets.com/2014/08/0...age-uncovered/

Details of Tahrir Square sexual assaults emerge, Egyptians react

CAIRO: The video of a naked, bruised woman that has been going viral amongst Egyptians since late Sunday was shot June 3 during celebrations after President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi was announced the winner of the presidential election, according to a Monday prosecution report.

Three men, 27, 19, and 16 were arrested for assaulting the 43-year-old woman and her 19-year-old daughter.

The mother’s face and identity were not clear from the video.

“I was wrong. This is the last time and I will not do this again. I did not mean it,” the 19-year-old accused in the assault told the prosecution.

The daughter told the prosecution that a mob repeatedly groped her and tried to strip her, until the police arrived and prevented further assault. She accused the three arrested men and others.

During the incident, the mother fell to the ground while trying to help her daughter, then around 20 people surrounded, groped and completely stripped her.

A large pot of boiling water that belonged to a street vendor selling tea fell on her, causing burns over 25 percent of her body. She added that someone was trying to strangle her.

The mob continued to molest her injured body, causing additional wounds in sensitive areas and attempted to do the same to her daughter, the prosecution report stated.

Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Waly and Minister of Health Adel al-Adawy visited the woman Tuesday at Helmiya Military Hospital, Waly told Mehwar television channel.

Adawy said the woman is a journalist who was covering the celebrations and that her mental and physical state is “bad.”
    Soha Hosni, a friend of the survivor, told CBC channel that the woman has 10 stitches in her genitals as a result of the attack.

Wael Sakr, in a Facebook page comment, claimed to be the plastic surgeon who treated the woman’s burns on June 5. He said that she had been burned the day before, and quoted her as saying a young man had stabbed her in a sensitive area and that a group of men had dragged her for several meters.

“One of them stabbed her with a pocket knife… why? What were you thinking you filthy idiot when you stabbed her?” Sakr wrote.

“I cannot believe this happens in Egypt. The lady is a wreck and in poor psychological and health condition… I am once again asking how did we lose our ethics. You cannot hold back your tears when you see her,” Sakr continued.

The lawyer of one of the alleged perpetrators withdrew from the case after a survivor identified him and burst into tears upon seeing him, Youm7 reported.

Newly elected President Sisi ordered Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim to “resolutely” apply the law to counter the phenomenon of sexual harassment, presidential spokesman Ehab Badawy said in a press statement Tuesday.

Sisi also ordered police Capt. Mostafa Thabet be honored for his role in saving a woman in her 20s after he found her naked and being sexually assaulted in Tahrir Square in a different incident Sunday.

Thabet told Dream 2 channel Monday that even after he fired warning shots in the air, the perpetrators did not stop.

“We saw death with our own eyes yesterday. Getting out of [Tahrir Square] was extremely difficult,” Thabet said

The police captain said assailants had developed a method to isolate and target women for harassment.

“They have a way they do this. The girl is inside the crowd and cannot leave because of the crowd, then four or five young men tell her they will take her out. When she walks with them, they surround her and make a circle,” he added.

“I personally identified two. I met eyes with one of them. I pushed him, but he told me ‘no, sir, I am with you, I am defending her,’ but once I looked back at him he was harassing her,” Thabet said before coldly addressing the alleged assailant. “I will never forget or fail to recognize you.”

Witnesses at Tahrir Square during celebrations

On Sunday, while Sisi was being inaugurated, at least four women were sexually assaulted at celebrations in Tahrir Square. Seven people were arrested, aged 15, 16, 20, 22, 23, 33 and 49.

Sherif Mohy, a political researcher and volunteer in anti-sexual harassment groups, said on his Facebook page Sunday that military and police forces at Tahrir Square were passive when he reported incidents of sexual harassment to them.

He said that groups of young men were at the square not to celebrate Sisi’s inauguration, but to “party in their own way on the bodies of the girls.”

He added that a man took out a pistol to defend a victim, but no one cared.

“The real problem is that the video of stripping the woman by animals in the middle of Tahrir Square was of the lesser disturbing things I saw with my own eyes there,” Mohy said.

A housewife told the prosecution Tuesday she was in Tahrir Sunday celebrating with her two children, 10 and 12, when a mob tried to kidnap them. When she begged them to leave the children, they told her to choose between herself and the children. Then, a group of 15 men dragged her to a side street, cut her clothes off with pocket knives and took turns molesting her.

She added that police were busy dispersing other sexual harassers in the square.

Mahmoud Gamal, a 23-year-old engineering student, launched a Facebook page called “Execution for Harassers” Monday, which has already been “liked” by over 61,000 people. He told The Cairo Post he had never been politically active or mobilized for an event or page before witnessing the harassment in Tahrir Square.

Gamal was in Tahrir Square on June 3, and said he saw three girls stripped naked.

He said security forces, especially military personnel, moved instantly once they heard about a sexual assault and fired shots in the air to disperse attackers.

Gamal was not able to confirm whether or not detentions took place because there were many people and the majority of attackers ran away. Security forces’ first priority was to save the victim, and then to arrest perpetrators, he said.
    He added that he sensed “genuine fear” for the survivors on the part of the security forces, and that they did not leave them until they were clothed and safe to leave.

Citizens “vigorously helped” in defending the women and gave them their own clothes to cover up, or bought them clothes from nearby stores, according to Gamal.

“The goal of the campaign is to restore the dignity of women and their participation in social life like before. No women or girls partake in social life with us because of this unethical phenomenon,” Gamal said. “A minority of us has become so obscene. Sexual harassment has become public. When the video sparked outrage, I felt that people would react and that we could do something together, so I launched the page.”

Gamal said there needs to be a law toughening penalties for sexual harassment perpetrators, or vigilante violence as a reaction to harassment will spike.

“I saw citizens using large batons and belt buckles to attack the young men and take them off the victims. This is a normal reaction to attempted sexual harassment or rape in a public space,” he said.

“Execution for Harassers” has a cover photo that reads “If I saw a dog harassing a girl, no matter what type of harassment, I would kill him.”

Several fans of the page have the same photo as a profile picture and numerous comments on Facebook and Twitter call for castration, execution, public humiliation and forced nudity for perpetrators.

This is not the first campaign to counter sexual harassment with such ideas.

As sexual harassment persists, “Harass Harassers” and “Tie Harassers” are other campaigns that have recently emerged advocating literal combating of sexual harassers.

Older movements like “Harassmap”, “I Saw Harassment” and “Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment” pursue different approaches, such as social awareness against gender-based violence and advocating legal amendments to help the cause.
    ِAlso, the young age of many accused of sexual harassment and rape in recent years has triggered several voices to call for trying them as adults in court.

Inspired by Indians who protested the recent gang rape of two girls, Dena Elshabba created an event on Facebook called “Walk like an Egyptian Woman: We are out to reject the disaster of raping Egyptian women in the streets.”

The event was created Monday and 17,000 people have so far clicked “going.” They are supposedly going to protest sexual harassment on Saturday in Cairo’s upscale Zamalek district.

http://thecairopost.com/news/114408/...gyptians-react

Comments:

As the article shows, the citizens were beating these animals with sticks and belts to get them off the poor women and were trying to cover the women from indecency. These animals are not the citizens, they are either outsiders, hired to go cause chaos there or are animals within hired to do the same. As many have said, execution is the only solution to handle such dogs.

UK probe finds Muslim Brotherhood 'not terrorist'

Monday, 18 August 2014

The publication of a British government report into whether the Muslim Brotherhood should be classified "a terrorist organisation" has been delayed, while government ministers seek to calm any discontent that a negative response may cause among Arab allies.

The Financial Times reported yesterday that it had been informed by government officials that the report has found the group should not be labelled "terrorist".

It added that little evidence had been found that its members are involved in any "terrorist activities" - a result which could upset relations with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have both banned the organisation.

The report was instigated by Prime Minister David Cameron in April. Cameron asked Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Sir John Jenkins to carry out the investigation into the Brotherhood and its "philosophy, activities, impact and influence on UK national interests, at home and abroad."

Concerns were immediately raised that Jenkins was not the right person to conduct the inquiry, as the Saudis are not just raucous opponents of the Brotherhood they also supported the military coup that ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi - the Brotherhood's presidential candidate and the country's first civilian president.

Since Morsi's removal, the country's military-backed government has designated the Brotherhood a "terrorist organisation", a court sentencing 529 of its members to death.

The review was due to be published at the end of last month, but the Financial Times reported that ministers were still discussing how they would present the findings.

The Anadolu news agency contacted Cameron's office one week ago regarding the results of the inquiry and has still not received a response.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...-not-terrorist

Comments:

These are the pathetic powers of the world. They defend and protect the real terrorists, even fund them, but they are afraid to tell the world the ones they call and label "terrorists" are in fact far from it.

Egyptian detainees 'tortured and raped' by Police

Activists say numerous political prisoners, including men and women, have been severely abused in custody.

Last updated: 01 Apr 2014

Human rights activists have reported that a number of political detainees, including men and women, were tortured and raped while in police custody in Egypt.

Hytham Abu Khalil, a leading activist, told a news conference organised by the "Justice for Egypt" society in Geneva, Switzerland that 22-year-old university student who was also a member of the al-Nour Salafi party, was tortured and grossly raped inside a police station in Nasr city.

The Egyptian government has refused to comment on the alleged abuse of detainees.

Local media outlets have also turned a deaf ear to the claims and have to declined to launch official inquiries.

The student of al-Azhar University is still detained since he was arrested along with one of his colleagues in a police ambush at the city's al-Jabal al-Ahmar district. He was arrested late last February because a slogan for “Rabaa al-Adawiya” was found posted on his cellphone.

The victim was reportedly tortured by knives, electrocution and was beaten fiercely. He was then taken to a second-floor room where he was raped by security forces because he denied accusations that he was linked to the Muslim Brotherhood.

He was also forced to name military coup leader Abdul Fattah al-Sisi “a great hero” and chanting a song titled: "Taslam al-Ayadi” ( may our deeds be blessed), Abu Khalil added..

Abu Khalil has called Egyptian and international civil rights organizations to intervene and help rescue the victim. He has also called the Egyptian attorney general Hisham Barakat to immediately release the victim, launch an immediate inquiry into the violations and announce the results to the Egyptian people.

Khalil also says he is holding Egyptian Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim fully responsible for guaranteeing the safety of the attacked student and his family.

'Acts of shame'

For his part, lawyer and human rights activist Ahmaed Bahaaddin has reaffirmed that rape crimes occur inside Egyptian prisons and detention centres, saying they were "shameful acts that smear the image of the ruling regime that gravely undermine Egypt’s honour and reputation both internally and abroad, after the Egyptian police opted for systematically abusing innocent civilians, instead of protecting them".

In a statement to Al-Jazeera, Bahaaddin added that police torture and humiliate those arrested by beating and kicking them, then gradually stepping up the violations into rape or homicide, particularly against young victims.

Bahaaddin has asserted the difficulty in counting the number of those exposed to rape attacks inside police stations because many of those rape victims fear admitting the abuse or are still in custody.

Mustafa al-Hadda, another human rights activist, confirmed that what had occurred to the student from al-Azhar, was not the first incident of its kind in Egypt. This is because the incumbent regime has allegedly adopted the abuse as a policy against opponents of the government.

"The policy is to humiliate, traumatize and to render them politically impotent”, al-Hadda said.

Al-Hadda has disclosed to Al Jazeera that a group of detained students, including political activist Khalid al-Sayed, were raped in al-Azbakiya and Qasr al-Niel police stations after they were arrested for protesting.

http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights...823978172.html

Egypt's prisons still rife with torture

Aug 29, 2014

Cairo, Egypt - Amr* was arrested in March while having a cup of tea with two friends at a coffee shop in downtown Cairo.

Four months later, the 17-year-old remains in jail, accused of involvement with Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, an armed group in the Sinai that has claimed responsibility for a number of armed attacks against Egyptian security forces.

"We didn't hear anything about him for 70 days," Amr's sister, who requested anonymity, told Al Jazeera. "Then we discovered he was kept for a week in Azouli military prison, where he was brutally tortured by the police."

After days of torture, Amr confessed to being a member of the armed group. "He has suffered from heart disease since he was a child," one of Amr's friends, who also requested anonymity, said. "He was tortured with electricity and was scared that he would die because of his weak heart."

Amr's story is not unique: Cases of torture inside Egyptian prisons have reportedly increased since a security crackdown began on supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and other dissidents across the country.

Abdallah* was also imprisoned. He said he was tortured after police arrested him following a demonstration to mark the third anniversary of Egypt's 2011 revolution. Although he was released in March, he still faces charges, including possession of weapons.

His wife found out about the abuse he had gone through during family visits. "They kept him in the cold winter weather for hours with his hands tied behind his back and threw cold water on him," she told Al Jazeera.

Of course, allegations of abuse by Egyptian authorities date back to before the military takeover of July 2013.

Samir*, a 17-year-old originally from Sudan, was arrested in May 2013, when Morsi was still in power. His family said he was tortured for more than three weeks.

"They took him from Mohammed Mahmoud street in downtown Cairo and they brought him to the Abdeen police station," Samir's mother told Al Jazeera. "They charged him with setting a police car on fire, but the attack happened the day before Samir was downtown."

In jail, he was kept in a basement and a group of policemen beat him every day, according to his mother. "They kept him in a one-square-metre cell in the basement without food or bathroom," she said. "There was a hole in the centre of the cell instead of the bathroom, and it was cleaned only every five days."

Since his release in March this year, Samir has suffered from psychological problems because of the torture and requires the help of a therapist, his mother said. "At the moment, he cannot see people wearing white clothes because they remind him of prison."

Accusations of torture in Egypt have existed long before the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime President Hosni Mubarak.

Before the protests began in 2011, Human Rights Watch released a report that outlined the country's endemic use of torture, stating that Mubarak's government "implicitly condoned police abuse by failing to ensure that law enforcement officials accused of torture are investigated and criminally prosecuted, leaving victims without a remedy".

Between 2006 and 2009, Egyptians filed hundreds of complaints detailing police abuse, but only six police officers were convicted of torture.

One of the most prominent cases was that of Khaled Said, who was beaten to death outside an Internet cafe by two policemen in Alexandria in June 2010. After widespread media attention, demonstrations, and the Facebook page We are all Khaled Said, which received more than four million "likes", the two officers were sentenced to seven years in prison for his murder. Later, the sentence was extended to 10 years.

Rights groups have had difficulty recording instances of more recent torture because they are prevented from visiting those imprisoned by the authorities. "We did our report(s) interviewing people who were already released because we are not allowed to enter the Egyptian prisons," a spokesperson for HRW told Al Jazeera.

"The Egyptian police system needs to change; torture is a well known practise that has not stopped in the three years since the revolution," the HRW official said.

Evidence collected by Amnesty International and HRW showed that since July 2013, several detainees have disappeared in secret military prisons with no judicial oversight.

Egyptian human rights organisations, such as the Egyptian Centre for Economic and Social Rights and the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights, have also documented 30 cases of people being secretly held in Azouly military prison inside Galaa Camp in Ismailia, 113km northwest of Cairo.

Families and lawyers are not allowed to visit prisoners in military jails. Amnesty International interviewed several people who survived the torture, and they said that around 400 detainees are being held with no charges in the three-storey prison block.

The Egyptian authorities have denied all the allegations made by the human rights organisations. The National Council for Human Rights, a government-linked organisation, set up a commission to inspect conditions inside Egyptian jails and denied that torture is an "endemic practise" in Egypt. It found that the only problem was a lack of comfortable accommodation and medical assistance.

In July, Abdel Fattah Osman, the head of the interior ministry's public relations department, declared on the ONTV satellite channel that the reports about torture "have nothing to do with reality or logic". He added: "Egyptian jails have become like hotels."

But the families of alleged torture victims strongly dispute this. "My son will never be like before his detention," Samir's mother told Al Jazeera. "I hope that one day there will be justice for all the people who have had their life destroyed by the Egyptian Security Forces."

*Pseudonyms have been used in this article to protect the identities of the people interviewed.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/egypts-pri...1.html#qy0rUNX

Member Array

"I want to see my father" this kid try to see his father who arrested because he want his country to be free without military coup regime

A human brain of one victim of Sisi coup force brutal reaction against peaceful demonstrators - they killed about 13 victim with cold blood - in hand of one of demonstrators.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

All their fault that they said No for the Military Coup inside their universities.

Report: Women sexually abused in Egyptian prisons… some 14 times in one day

01 July 2014

YouTube clip from Al-Jazeera entitled: A catastrophic report exposes cases of rape inside military prisons. One girl was raped 14 times

The clip was posted on June 29, 2014.

Presenter: The delegation submitted a general report about the violations that took place against Egyptian women since the military coup and until the first of June. The delegation also submitted another detailed report about cases of rape and sexual assault taking place against female detainees inside Egyptian prisons and police stations. The delegation submitted an authenticated report of seven cases of rape of female detainees. The report included a list of the names of detention centers and the names of police officers and individuals accused of raping the women including the cases of two women who were raped 14 times in one day in one of the detention centers belonging to Central Security Forces. One of the female detainees was suspended naked and sexually assaulted and was forced to watch obscene scenes. The delegation, which is composed of the European Coalition for Democracy and Human Rights, called for placing Egyptian women under a special category by the Committee for Women and Children and called for opening an investigation, by a neutral committee, into the violations and for opening the prisons and police station for inspection as well as for making police officers and cadets accountable for their actions.

Narrator: Documented testimonies of cases of rape to which women were subjected inside Egyptian prisons and police stations keep being uncovered. The latest case was disclosed by lawyer Ahmad Sayf Al-Islam Hammad and was publicized by human rights activist Haytham Abu Khalil. It is the case of an Al-Azhar female student who was raped inside an armored police vehicle.

Lawyer Hammad: Sixty-eight people were accused in this case. It happened on December 28, 2013. On that day students were arrested inside the university. They were then taken to Nasr City police station and from there on to Al-Salam Military Camp. They were questioned by the prosecution there. We were lucky that [the girl] was released on bail set at 500 Egyptian pounds. She was the only person [to be released] from amongst the accused. We were lucky she was released. I was surprised afterwards that her mother [spoke about] problems between Nada and her husband. I tried to intervene to reconcile them. Her mother came to me in the office with tears dropping from her eyes. I asked her: "What's wrong? Are you the cause of this? Why doesn't your daughter want to return to her husband?" She kept saying it was the prison and this and that. Finally, she broke down and said: "My daughter, this and that happened to her". The officer raped her. She told me about this disastrous incident.

Narrator: In the meantime, the International Coalition of Expatriate Egyptians has published the first report that documents cases of rape and sexual abuse inside Egyptian prisons and police stations. The coalition made a submission to the UN Human Rights Commission about these violations.

Female witness: We have received reports of several rape and sexual assault cases. We have documented seven cases. Out of concern for safety of the victims, we keep the names of the victims and the assailants and the places were the crimes took place confidential.

Narrator: The European Coalition for Freedom and Democracy, one of the affiliates of the International Coalition of Egyptian Expatriates, published a booklet entitled Save Cleopatra that deals with violations perpetrated against Egyptian women since the coup and until now.

Female witness: I shall speak about four cases. One of them was kidnapped by security forces. She was assaulted by persons dressed in police and army uniforms inside the prison vehicle then she was thrown on the road; it was a gang rape. The second case was kidnapped and assaulted inside a police station. She was gang raped by officers and cadets. There were two cases last month that were raped 14 times in one day. This happened in one of the central security camps.

Narrator: Violations did not stop at the perpetration of rape against female detainees. There were other violations too.

Female witness: One of the female detainees was suspended completely naked like a pendulum. She was sexually assaulted by all the police officers and cadets present at the time. Young women were forced to watch indecent videos. In one of the prisons two male officers were naked while they searched female detainees. The floor was wiped using the bodies of victims, this happened in the Nasr City police station's second precinct. Some female detainees were paraded naked in front of police officers and cadets and were sexually assaulted.

Narrator: These savage assaults have not attracted the attention of the authorities who have not taken steps to investigate them despite repeated appeals from the local and international communities for them to do so.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...mes-in-one-day
    __._,_.___

Member Array

Abdur Rahman Ashraf (9years old) shot in the neck by Sisi thugs , Al-Mataryya,Cairo ,yesterday October 24,2014

Egypt prosecutors demand death penalty for Morsi

November 3, 2014

Egyptian prosecutors have officially asked the Cairo Criminal Court to sentence the country’s ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, and other Muslim Brotherhood leaders to death.

Prosecutor Emad el-Sharawy said on Wednesday that Morsi and his aides must be handed down the death penalty on espionage charges.

Morsi and 35 Muslim Brotherhood leaders are standing trial for what the military-backed court calls destabilization of Egypt through collaborating with such groups as Palestinian Hamas and Lebanese Hezbollah and leaking confidential information to foreign countries.

The court’s final session is set to be held on November 26 to hear Morsi’s closing defense remarks.

Morsi, Egypt’s first democratically-elected president, was ousted in July 2013 in a military coup led by Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, the country’s current president and the then army commander.

Sisi is accused of leading the suppression of Muslim Brotherhood supporters as hundreds of them have been killed in clashes with Egyptian security forces over the last year.

Rights groups say the army’s crackdown on the supporters of Morsi has left over 1,400 people dead and 22,000 arrested, while some 200 people have been sentenced to death in mass trials.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/11...nced-to-death/

Egypt warned Amal Clooney she risked arrest

Human rights barrister threatened by authorities after exposing same flaws in judicial system that later led to conviction of al-Jazeera journalists

1/2/15

Egyptian officials warned human rights barrister Amal Clooney that she risked arrest after identifying the same serious flaws in its judicial system that subsequently contributed to the conviction of three al-Jazeera journalists now jailed in Cairo.

In an interview with the Guardian after their appeal hearing this week, Clooney, a lawyer for one of the trio, said they were victims of the same flaws that she earmarked in a February 2014 report about Egyptian courts.

Written before Clooney became involved in the al-Jazeera case, officials deemed the report so controversial that they threatened her team with arrest should they have tried to present its findings inside Egypt.

“When I went to launch the report, first of all they stopped us from doing it in Cairo,” Clooney told the Guardian. “They said: ‘Does the report criticise the army, the judiciary, or the government?’ We said: ‘Well, yes.’ They said: ‘Well then, you’re risking arrest.’”

The report, compiled on behalf of the International Bar Association, said Egypt’s judicial system was not as independent as it could be. It pointed out that officials in the ministry of justice have wide powers over nominally independent judges, and highlighted the control the government can exert over state prosecutors.

Among other recommendations, Clooney and her co-authors suggested ending the practice that allows Egyptian officials to handpick judges for certain politicised cases. “That recommendation wasn’t followed, and we’ve seen the results of that in this particular case where you had a handpicked panel led by a judge who is known for dispensing brutal verdicts,” Clooney. said “And this one was no different.”

The three journalists – Peter Greste, Baher Mohamed, and Mohamed Fahmy, whom Clooney represents – were initially sentenced to between seven and 10 years in jail last June by the controversial Egyptian judge Mohamed Nagy Shehata.

Shehata became notorious during the trial for rarely taking off his aviator sunglasses, mocking Fahmy’s fiancee, and for cracking a joke about World Press Freedom day. A few months later, he also sentenced to death 188 people, Clooney said, “in one mass trial which didn’t distinguish between each defendant’s criminal responsibility”. Shehata failed to respond to several requests for interview.

At the trio’s appeal on New Year’s Day, a new judge refused to throw out the case, but agreed to a retrial, after recognising problems with the initial process. But Clooney fears those flaws – which included the presentation of a Gotye song, footage of a trotting horse, and pictures of Greste’s parents as evidence of the trio’s guilt – are so serious that they will compromise the integrity of any second hearing.

“If the idea is: well, there were errors and now there’s going to be a retrial, but then the retrial operates on the same basis as the original one, that doesn’t really mean much,” Clooney said. She has waived most of her usual fees, and is paid directly by Fahmy without the support of al-Jazeera. “I don’t see how the prosecution can proceed again in a trial process even if the judges were to be constituted properly this time around. I don’t see how they could fix the lack of evidence.”

As a result, Clooney has concluded “that we have to continue and double our efforts to achieve his release in other ways. Unfortunately we have to conclude that we can’t rely on these Egyptian court processes to achieve a fair or swift result.”

For Baher Mohamed, the third detainee who holds only an Egyptian passport, his fate largely depends on those court processes, with the prospect of a presidential pardon dwindling. But Clooney’s client, Fahmy, a Canadian citizen, and his Australian colleague Greste, have another option: deportation to their home countries.
    Fahmy and Greste have applied to Egypt’s chief prosecutor to demand they be sent to Canada and Australia respectively under the terms of a new presidential decree that provides foreign detainees with such a route, and which seems to have been tailored for their case.

The vague and unprecedented nature of the decree has led to doubts about how it would be used in practice. But based on her communication with relevant officials in Egypt and Canada, and on her experience of international law, Clooney is hopeful that deportation is a real option. “There are many different ways in which the transfer from Egypt to Canada can occur, and as long as there is a genuine commitment on both sides, I see no reason why a transfer can’t happen in fairly quick terms.”

Inside Egypt, Fahmy’s appeals team was led by an Egyptian lawyer, Negad Boraie, with contributions from Clooney that related to international law. But outside Egypt, it is Clooney who is spearheading attempts to secure Fahmy’s deportation, and hopes next week to meet the Canadian foreign minister, John Baird, to try to convince him to expedite the process.

“We are very much hoping that the Canadian and Egyptian officials we have contacted will engage with us fully to ensure that Mohamed is involved – through his counsel – in the discussions and that a fair outcome can be achieved as soon as possible.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-jazeera-three

Graphic Pictures Show Egypt Protester Killed In Cold Blood On Tahrir Uprising Anniversary

Horrifying pictures have emerged of a female protester shot dead by police at a march in downtown Cairo, a tragedy that threatens to rekindle widespread violence as Egypt marks the fourth anniversary of the 2011 uprising.The leftist Popular Alliance party said that police shot its member Shaimaa el-Sabagh with birdshot Saturday evening as the group peacefully marched toward Tahrir Square to lay a commemorative wreath of roses.Videos posted online show el-Sabagh, the mother of a five-year-old and a member of the leftist Popular Alliance party, with other protesters carrying placards and chanting "bread, freedom and social justice" — the chief slogan of the 2011 uprising. She and others had carried flowers they intended to place at nearby Tahrir Square, the birthplace of the uprising, in memory of the fallen protesters.

Socialist Popular Alliance Party (SPAP) activist Shaimaa al-Sabbagh collapses after she was shot during a protest by the party in Cairo

Sabbagh was shot dead with birdshot in central Cairo on Saturday, security sources said, one day before the anniversary of the popular uprising that ousted autocrat Hosni Mubarak

In the videos, two masked, black-clad police officers point their rifles in her direction before gunshots ring out and el-Sabagh falls. She is later shown carried by a male protester as blood seeped out of her mouth. The videos are consistent with other reporting on the shooting.The prominent Hisham Mubarak Law Centre said in a Facebook post that five of el-Sabagh's fellow protesters who had given investigators their account of the incident were charged with assaulting police and taking part in an illegal demonstration. There was no immediate confirmation of the group's claim.El-Sabagh's death is the second of a female protester in recent days. Islamist Sondos Reda was shot dead during a Friday protest in Alexandria.

Activists also blame the police.President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's government has shown zero tolerance for street protests since a law adopted in 2013 banned them without prior permission. Dozens of activists have been convicted and jailed for violating the law. A parallel crackdown is targeting supporters of ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, with thousands from his Muslim Brotherhood group imprisoned or facing trial.

The protests were mostly in response to a call for demonstrations made by an Islamist coalition opposed to el-Sissi and led by the Brotherhood.Sunday's protests came as police sealed off main squares in Cairo, including Tahrir, and beefed up security at vital state installations. The measures followed the discovery of at least 30 roadside bombs in Cairo and a string of other cities intended to be detonated Sunday, security officials said.A statement from the Interior Ministry said the police were conducting an investigation into the woman's death and vowed to arrest the perpetrators.

Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab has vowed that "whoever committed a mistake will be punished, whoever he may be."Ahead of the fourth anniversary of the uprising, the revolutionary fervour of 2011 has been largely extinguished. Many of the pro-democracy activists central to the uprising are in prison for attempting to protest against the new president, former army chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.Others are dismissed in the media as troublemakers while the police, who in the revolutionaries' eyes were the hated tools of oppression, are now lauded in the press as heroes in a fight against Islamists.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...tml?1422196068

Egypt erupts during day of protests as death toll rises to 17 on fourth anniversary of Arab Spring after mother, 32, is gunned down by Cairo police during demonstration

• WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

• Protests spread around Egypt on fourth anniversary of the 2011 uprising against Hosni Mubarak
    • At least 17 killed including nine in eastern Cairo, one in Alexandria and two suspected Islamists dead in Nile Delta

• Shaima al-Sabbagh, a 32-year-old mother-of-one, was shot in the head by police in Cairo on Saturday

• Ms al-Sabbagh was shot during a peaceful march on the eve of the anniversary of the 2011 uprising

• Political activist was hit by birdshot ammunition, a supposedly non-lethal alternative to shot gun pellets

• Witnesses and Socialist Popular Alliance party blame police, while police say an 'infiltrator' is responsible

Israeli analyst warns that Sisi's regime may collapse

An Israeli analyst has warned that the stability of Egyptian President Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi's regime is under threat following the death of Saudi's King Abdullah.

In an article published in Haaretz newspaper yesterday, Zvi Bar'el noted that economic problems and the likely "war of inheritance" may force the new regime in Riyadh to halt its financial obligations towards Al-Sisi

Bar'el said that it is very likely that the new king may adopt a policy that is different from that of his predecessor and that King Salman may find it necessary to teach Al-Sisi a lesson in statesmanship.

He explained that the fate of Sisi's regime very much depends on the political support and generous financial backing Saudi Arabia offers. He pointed out that last year King Abdullah paid Egypt $1 billion not to mention his efforts to impart political legitimacy on Sisi's regime as evident from his keenness to accomplish reconciliation between Egypt and Qatar.

Bar'el further elaborated that Al-Sisi realises the implication of the rush of thousands of Egyptians to stand in long queues to obtain household cooking gas and knows that his inability to provide the essential needs of the people may cost him his authority.

He noted that what could augment matters is that the plan to build one million housing units, whose funding in part was pledged by the UAE and Saudi Arabia, will not be completed for several years if ever at all.

Developments in Saudi Arabia would affect the US policy in the region pointing out that this is what prompted US President Barak Obama to shorten his visit to India and travel to Riyadh in order to ensure that the Kingdom under Salman will not change the fundamentals of its traditional policy, Bar'el explained.

There are signs that Sisi's regime is heading in the direction of rigging the results of the forthcoming parliamentary elections, he warned. Adding that an election system that grants independents 420 out of a total of 567 seats in parliament means that the regime will be keen to facilitate the success of those independents it wishes to see occupy seats inside the legislative chamber.

Former Israeli Justice Minister Yossi Beilin, on the other hand, expressed hope that King Salman would maintain his predecessor's commitment to the Saudi peace initiative that was announced by King Abdullah in 2002.

In an article published today in Israel Hayom newspaper, Beilin explained that although King Abdullah only proposed his peace initiative in order to ward off US criticism levelled at Saudi Arabia in the aftermath of the 11 September 2011 attacks, it has, nevertheless, represented a precedent on which one can build more.

He expressed doubt that there is a government in Israel that is able to use this initiative as a basis for a political resolution to the conflict.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...e-may-collapse

Egyptian opposition insist that revolution is the only way to beat military coup

The Egyptian Revolutionary Council (ERC) affirmed on Friday that revolution is the sole option to end the military coup and restore civil society so that freedom and respect for law and order will be guaranteed, it has been reported. The ERC statement was issued following a visit by some of its members to the United States.

"The US visit was part of the effort to garner support for the Egyptian revolution and tell the world about its legitimate demands," said the ERC. "It also showed the reality of the terrorist regime [in Cairo] that usurped authority and has been fighting the people."

The ERC delegation to America included Maha Azzam, lawyer Walid Surabbi, Jamal Hishmat and Abdul-Mawjoud Al-Dordiri. They met with several US officials, decision-makers, congressmen and directors of research institutes.

During such meetings, the delegation stressed to the Americans that what took place on 3 July 2013 in Egypt was, in fact, a military coup against a democratically-elected president. They also reminded the US administration that it should take a clear position towards the flagrant human rights violations in Egypt and the crimes being committed by the terrorist regime represented by Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi in order to strengthen his illegitimate position.

Al-Sisi's regime, they argued, is unstable and unsustainable and does not deserve support from the US and Europe. To back Al-Sisi is to abandon the obligation to defend basic human rights and principles of democracy, which has underpinned official US policy for many years.

The independence of the judicial system in Egypt, said the ERC delegation, is threatened not only by ongoing violations by coup-supporting judges against political opponents, but also by sanctions against those judges who seek to get the country back onto the democratic track.

Social cohesion in Egypt has been damaged by the military coup. It is essential, claimed the ERC, to restore it to its natural state. The Egyptian people, the delegation pointed out, chose their representatives in several democratic elections after the 25 January Revolution; political life in Egypt must bear witness to political plurality and be inclusive. As part of this process, said the group, the Egyptian army has to give up politics and return to its bases.

Pointing out that the Egyptian revolution has peaceful intent, the delegation told US officials that entities formed to respond to crimes committed by the security forces are "normal" in the absence of any objective judicial system. This is also a normal response to the systematic state terrorism of the authorities and the oppression against peaceful protesters, including killing, arrest, torture, rape and serious violations of human dignity.

The delegation also reminded Washington that it should, in justice, put pressure on the military government in Egypt to release the American-Egyptian citizen Mohamed Salah Sultan along with the others arrested under false pretences. Even elected MPs, they pointed out, suffer terribly inside Egypt's prisons.

A positive atmosphere dominated the meetings, it is reported, and specific recommendations were made in order to maintain contact and constructive dialogue so that the administration is clear about the reality of life in Egypt. In conclusion, the ERC delegation insisted that the revolution has to be sustained as it is the only strategy capable of ousting the coup government and bringing justice back to Egypt.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...-military-coup