Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.

Thread: Don't judge me

Administrator Array

Default Don't judge me

"Don't judge me", they say. "Only Allah is the judge".

You have probably heard these two sentences uttered by many of your friends, siblings or acquaintances. It seems to be more common with those who have a guilty conscience about doing something wrong, but don't want you to correct them. I hear this phrase all the time from past students, who engage in smoking, relationships, dressing immodestly, keeping dogs as pets or even drinking alcohol.

While it's true that only Allah (swt) is the only Judge, these people don't fully grasp the concept of "judging".

A judge is someone who will issue either a punishment or a reward. In this case, a Qadi, or someone who mediates between two people, acts as a judge. However, a Qadi is not perfect. Only Allah (swt) is the ultimate Judge.

When a Muslim corrects the actions of another Muslim, they are not judging. They are offering free legal counsel to that individual, so that when they stand before the Judge, they will not be punished.

In this sense, it is the obligation of the Muslim to correct another individual, based on three evidences:

1) The Qur'an mentions in four different Ayat the concept of "ya'muroona bil ma'roof wa yanhawna 'anil munkar", (يَأۡمُرُونَ بِٱلۡمَعۡرُوفِ وَيَنۡهَوۡنَ عَنِ ٱلۡمُنكَرِ), commanding what is right and forbidding what is evil. They are found in the following verses:

The Holy Qur'an:

Sura 3.110 translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors.

Sura 3.104 translated by George Sale

Let there be people among you, who invite to the best [in religion]; and command that which is just, and forbid that which is evil; and they shall be happy.

Sura 7.157 translated by Sale

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures), - in the law and the Gospel; - for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him, - it is they who will prosper."

Sura 9.71 translated by Sale

And the faithful men, and the faithful women are friends one to another: They command that which is just, and they forbid that which is evil; and they are constant at prayer, and pay their appointed alms; and they obey God, and his apostle: Unto these will God be Merciful; for He [is] Mighty [and] Wise.

2) Prophet Muhammad (saws) said in the following Hadith: A believer is a mirror to his brother. A believer is a brother of a believer: he protects him against any danger and guards him from behind. (Related by Al Bukhari in Al Adab Al Mufrad and by Abu Dawood.)

In another narration, Prophet Muhammad (saws) said, "If a Muslim sees something wrong in his brother, he should tell him to get rid of it", i.e. stop doing the wrong actions.

3) The Prophet said: If one of you sees something evil he should change it with his hand. If he cannot, he should speak out against it, and if he cannot do even that he should at least detest it in his heart, this being the weakest form of faith (Sahih of Muslim).

Member Array

You Say, 'Brother Your Not Supposed To Go To The Nightclub',

'Hey Stop Judging Me!'

What Are You Talking About, We Are Just Advising You.

So Don't Use The Term 'Do Not Judge Me' In Order To Run Away From Advice "

[Mufti Ismail Menk]
    Last edited by islamirama; Jun-18-2014 at 09:37 PM.

•