Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All About Food

Member Array

An egg a day keeps unwanted calories at bay

Eggs also better for people who want to resist afternoon snacks on biscuits, cake or chocolate.

LONDON: While an apple a day is known for keeping the doctor away, researchers suggest; going to work on an egg everyday could be the best way to start the day. For, they say, it can also keep unwanted intake of calories at bay.

According to a Surrey University study, the first of its kind in Britain, eating eggs for breakfast can help slash the calories eaten at lunch and dinner. They keep us fuller for longer compared with other common breakfast foods.

The researchers suggest, eggs are also better for people who want to resist afternoon snacks on biscuits, cake or chocolate.

The study tested three typical breakfasts with the same level of calories – eggs on toast, cornflakes with milk and toast, or a croissant and orange juice.

Adding to the growing body of evidence to support eggs as a key ingredient of weight-loss diets, the Surrey team found volunteers felt fuller for longer and had a lower desire to eat after the egg breakfast compared with the other ones.

The egg breakfast also led to a significantly lower intake of energy at lunch and evening meals compared with the other common breakfasts.

Member Array

U.S. adds formaldehyde to list of carcinogens

Jun 11, 2011

The government added formaldehyde, a substance found in plastics and other commonly used products, to a list of known carcinogens and warned that the chemical styrene might cause cancer.

In a report prepared for the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), scientists warned that people with higher exposure to formaldehyde were more at risk for nasopharyngeal cancer, myeloid leukemia and other cancers.

"There is now sufficient evidence from studies in humans to show that individuals with higher measures of exposure to formaldehyde are at increased risk for certain types of rare cancers ...," the Report on Carcinogens said.

Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling chemical widely used to make resins for household items, such as composite wood products, paper product coatings, plastics, synthetic fibers, and textile finishes.

It is also commonly used as a preservative in medical laboratories, mortuaries, and some consumer products, including hair straightening products.

The report, produced by the National Toxicology Program (NTP), also added styrene to the list of substances that were reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens.

Styrene is a synthetic chemical used in the manufacture of products such as rubber, plastic, insulation, fiberglass, pipes, automobile parts, food containers, and carpet backing.

The greatest exposure to styrene in the general population is through cigarette smoking, the report said.

The American Chemistry Council (ACC), an industry group, lashed out at the report, saying it was concerned that politics may have hijacked the scientific process.

"Today's report by HHS made unfounded classifications of both formaldehyde and styrene and will unnecessarily alarm consumers," Cal Dooley, president and CEO of the ACC, said in a statement.

Jennifer Sass of the National Resources Defense Council, a U.S. environmental group, praised the government for publishing the report in the face of what she described as pressure by chemical companies to prevent its release.

"The chemical industry fought the truth, the science, and the public -- but, in the end our government experts came through for us, giving the public accurate information about the health risks from chemicals that are commonly found in our homes, schools, and workplaces," Sass wrote in a blog.

The report also listed aristolochic acids, found in some plants, as a known carcinogen and added the fungicide captafol, some inhalable glass wool fibers, cobalt-tungsten carbide, riddelliine and o-Nitrotoluene to the list of substances reasonably anticipated to be carcinogens.

It, however, said listing the substances did not in itself mean they would cause cancer. Amount and duration of exposure, and susceptibility to a substance were among the many factors that affected whether a person developed cancer, it said.

The report is available at ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/roc12

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75A0KN20110611

Member Array

Food containing fetuses targeted under new Oklahoma bill

By Nicole Burgin

You might think this is a story out of 'The Onion' but it is a real story.

An Oklahoma lawmaker files a bill to ban the making and selling of food or products that use aborted human fetuses.

State Senator Ralph Shortey says he's done research and found reports that companies have used stem cells in the research and development of food.

“I don’t know if it is happening in Oklahoma, it may be, it may not be. What I am saying is that if it does happen then we are not going to allow it to manufacture here," says Shortey

The lawmaker that represents Oklahoma County couldn’t give any specific examples.

“There is a potential that there are companies that are using aborted human babies in their research and development of basically enhancing flavor for artificial flavors," says Shortey.

Some argue there has to be more to the proposed bill and believe it is a back door attempt to ban stem cell research.

Shortey says it is not, although he admits, he would support and vote for a ban on stem cell research in the state.

A number of food makers have denied the claims.

Pro-life groups call for Pepsi boycott over aborted fetal cell lines

by Rebecca Millette - May 26, 2011

LARGO, Florida, – Scores of prolife groups are calling for a public boycott of food giant, PepsiCo, due to its partnership with Senomyx, a biotech company that uses aborted fetal cells in the research and development of artificial flavor enhancers.

LifeSiteNews previously reported on Senomyx’s partnership with major food corporations, most notably PepsiCo, Kraft Foods, and Nestlé.

Pro-life watchdog group, Children of God for Life (CGL), is now joined by major pro-life organizations calling upon the public to target PepsiCo in a boycott.

Pepsi is funding the research and development, and paying royalties to Senomyx, which uses HEK-293 (human embryonic kidney cells) to produce flavor enhancers for Pepsi beverages.

“Using isolated human taste receptors we created proprietary taste receptor-based assay systems that provide a biochemical or electronic readout when a flavor ingredient interacts with the receptor,” says the Senomyx website.

“What they do not tell the public is that they are using HEK 293 – human embryonic kidney cells taken from an electively aborted baby to produce those receptors,” stated Debi Vinnedge, President for CGL, the watch dog group that has been monitoring the use of aborted fetal material in medical products and cosmetics for years.

The aborted fetal cells are not in the product itself. However, “there are many options PepsiCo could be using instead of aborted fetal cells,” noted Vinnedge.

The revelation about Senomyx’s research techniques motivated Campbell Soup to sever all relations with Senomyx.

However, PepsiCo continues their business relationship despite the abortion connection. They drew public ire earlier this year when they responded, saying, “our collaboration with Senomyx is strictly limited to creating lower-calorie, great-tasting beverages for consumers.”

When pressed further, PepsiCo sent out a form letter response saying they had been accused of conducting aborted fetal tissue research.

Bradley Mattes, executive director of Life Issues Institute, said, “While aborted fetal cells aren’t actually in the product itself, the close relationship is enough to repulse most consumers. To our knowledge, this is the first time a food product has been publicly associated with abortion.”

The pro-life groups noted that additional companies collaborating with Senomyx will be targeted for boycott next.

The pro-life organizations are asking the public to boycott all Pepsi drink products and encourage consumers to contact Pepsi management requesting that they sever all ties with Senomyx.

For a list of Pepsi Beverages included in the boycott: http://pepsico.com/Brands/Pepsi_Cola-Brands.html

To Contact PepsiCo:

Jamie Caulfield, Sr. VP
    PepsiCo, Inc.
    700 Anderson Hill Road
    Purchase, NY 10577
    (914) 253-2000
    Email form.

Edmund M. Carpenter, Chair, Corporate Development
    Campbell Soup
    1 Campbell Place
    Camden, NJ 08103-1701
    1-800-257-8443
    Email form

Pro-life groups joining CGL in the boycott to date are: Life Issues Institute, American Life League, Colorado Right to Life, American Right to Life, Sound Choice Pharmaceutical Institute, ALL Arizona, Central Nebraskans for Life, Pro-Life Waco, Houston Coalition for Life, Mother and Unborn Baby Fox Valley, Womankind, Billboards for Life, Movement for a Better America, Defenders of the Unborn, Focus Pregnancy Help Center, Idaho Chooses Life, EMC Frontline Pregnancy Centers of NY, Four Seasons for Life, CREDO, Life Choices, STOPP Dallas, CA Right To Life, Human Life Alliance, International Right to Life Federation, Operation Rescue, Pro-Life Nation, LifeNews.com, and Mary’s Outreach for Women.

Member Array

Alcohol is one of the ingredients of this popular drink. The use of Alcohol makes it a haraam product to consume for Muslims. Once it used to have the drug cocaine in it, but now it contains other chemicals that are just as bad.

A better alternative is to mix a spoon of Apple Cider in a glass of normal liquid (water or juice) and drink that. Orange juice is the best tasting combination. It provides the same acidic affect as soft drinks, but provides better help in digestion making it an excellent drink to have with hard to digest food... like hard thick breads, especially that from a Pizza.

Member Array

Foods Nutritionists Won't Eat

Chocolate Chips

"Any food with chocolate chips is probably made from compound chocolate, which is cheaper, has a longer shelf life and is easier to work with than quality chocolate. Life’s too short to be eating bad chocolate! Choc chips are waxy and have a higher melting point than real chocolate does, so when they land on your tongue, they don’t dissolve as they should—or have the same delicious flavor. They don’t contain the healthy fats you find in the cocoa butter of good-quality chocolate.

Glenn CardwellAccredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition Impact, Perth

Quick oats

I tend to avoid quick-cook porridges because their glycaemic index (GI) is getting higher and higher. In their efforts to make food more convenient, manufacturers have cut oats so finely that even so-called traditional oats now cook in five minutes. As a result, their GI has risen from 50 to about 85—a real shame. Real oats look like the ones you see in muesli bars; they’re thick-cut and take at least 10 minutes to cook. Your body also takes longer to absorb them, so they make you feel satisfied long after breakfast is over.

Jennie Brand-Miller - Professor of human nutrition, The University of Sydney

Rice Crackers

"Although they may provide a satisfying crunch, all rice crackers are extremely high in salt. Otherwise, they’d have all the flavor of cardboard! They also have a high GI—as do many crisp breads. I give these crackers a miss most of the time; you have to eat a million of them to feel satisfied! Instead, I opt for a low-GI carbohydrate, such as a slice of wholegrain bread or a good sourdough. Finding low-GI carbs can also be tricky when you’re dining out, but brown-rice sushi is becoming more available and has become my snack of choice."

Chewing Gum

"Chewing gum makes me incredibly hungry: the action of chewing tells my body that I’m going to start digesting something. It gears up and starts its insulin response, and before I know it, I’m hungrier than I was before! On top of that, a lot of gum contains artificial sweeteners. And having more than one piece may produce a laxative effect, which can create bloating, wind and discomfort. I used to accept people’s offer of chewing gum when I feared I had coffee breath, but it didn’t really make me feel good. It just made me want to eat!"

Geraldine Georgeou - Accredited practicing dietitian, Designer Diets, Sydney

Soft Drink

"When I was a kid, my favorite soft drink was Fanta. But as my nutrition knowledge grew, I discovered that soft drinks are loaded with sugar, coloring, additives and preservatives. Now I won’t put soft drinks in my body, and I certainly don’t give them to my 8-year-old son. (They’re not great for his teeth, either.) Instead, I’ve encouraged him to drink milk, plain water and mineral water. Although mineral water is higher in sodium than plain water is, it’s still a better alternative than other sugary drinks."

White Bread

"As a young kid, I was a big fan of white bread. But around the age of 12, I made the switch to multigrain because of its fiber, iron and zinc content—apparently, I knew early on that I wanted to be a nutritionist! These days, my kitchen is always stacked with wholegrain-bread varieties; I just won’t have anything else. Two slices of regular white bread gives you only 1 to 3g of fiber, but the same amount of a rye or multigrain variety (such as Helga’s Seed Sensations or Country Life Organic Rye) gives you more than 6 g."

Melissa Beer - Accredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition and Wellbeing Clinic, Sydney

Butter and Margarine

"I used to enjoy margarine on toast, but then I looked into how manufacturers produce it; it’s just not a natural product. Essentially, liquid oil becomes a solid through hydrogenation. This creates trans fats, which can increase ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol. I also avoid butter; research strongly links its saturated-fat content to heart disease—a message we’ve been hearing for the past 10 to 15 years. I opt for natural plant spreads, such as hummus, and 100-per-cent-nut spreads, like natural peanut butter or almond butter."

Melissa Beer - Accredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition and Wellbeing Clinic, Sydney

Processed Meats

"My parents are European, so we used to eat quite a bit of ham and salami. But since I’ve found out about the high nitrate content of processed meats, I’ve banned my family from eating them. Nitrates (which you can identify by the numbers 249 to 252 on food labels) are the preservatives that give processed meat its nice pink appearance. Because the World Cancer Research Fund strongly links nitrates with bowel cancer, I’ve dropped the sausage in favour of freshly cooked meat; poultry; and plant proteins, such as lentils and tofu."

Monica Kubizniak - Accredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition and Wellbeing Clinic, Sydney

Cream and Sour Cream

"When I was younger, I loved to pour fresh cream on hot desserts, and I often enjoyed sour cream with stroganoffs, stews and nachos. But cream is way too high in saturated fat, and you don’t get much nutritional value in return. These days, I’m more inclined to have yoghurt with my dessert, but I still limit the amount I indulge in. For example, I cook with Carnation Light and Creamy Evaporated Milk or a low-fat natural yoghurt. I end up with a creamy result that’s much the same, but with far fewer dangerous fats."

Monica Kubizniak - Accredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition and Wellbeing Clinic, Sydney

Member Array

Can Eating Too Many Nuts Make You Fat?

It seems counter-intuitive to eat calorie-dense nuts as part of a weight-loss diet, but research points to nuts assisting with weight maintenance and loss rather than weight gain. Nevertheless, you can't eat nuts indiscriminately and expect the numbers on the scale to remain the same. Use a commonsense approach to nuts to get the most out of adding them to your diet.

Calories in Nuts

Nuts are known for being high in calories. An ounce of macadamia nuts provides 204 calories, and the lowest calorie nut, the cashew, provides 157 calories per ounce, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Most of the calories in nuts are derived from a mixture of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. Nut butter is equally caloric, providing approximately 200 calories per 2-tbsp. serving.

Nuts and Weight Loss

Given the number of calories in nuts, you wouldn't expect to lose weight by adding them to your diet. Researchers have found that nuts don't tend to cause weight gain and can even result in weight loss. In a 2010 article published in the "Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition," the authors note that your body excretes 10 to 15 percent of the calories in nuts and likely burns an additional 10 percent of the calories through the increased metabolism created by eating nuts. Once people consume nuts, they are likely to consume less of other foods, resulting in a balanced intake of energy. In some cases, eating nuts creates an energy deficit, as dieters who eat nuts tend to lose greater amounts of weight than those who do not, the researchers note.

Nuts and Weight Gain

If you add nuts to your diet without cutting calories elsewhere, weight gain is likely to result, imply the findings of a 2005 study published in the "British Journal of Nutrition." Study subjects were given walnuts to consume in addition to the rest of their diet, with modest weight gain as the end result. The weight gain was not nearly as much as expected when the increase in energy intake was considered, suggesting that nuts cause less weight gain per calorie than some other foods.

Eating Nuts Without Weight Gain

You can eat nuts without weight gain if you substitute them for other foods in your diet. Substitute them for carbohydrates, as this will promote satiety and weight loss, according to a study published in the February 2003 issue of "The Journal of Nutrition." Measure serving sizes to make sure you aren't consuming more calories than you think. Bear in mind that a 1-oz. serving of cashews is 16 to 18 nuts, a serving of almonds is 20 to 24 nuts and a serving of macadamias is 10 to 12 nuts, according to the University of Michigan Health System.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...-make-you-fat/

Member Array

10 American Foods That Are Banned in Other Countries

Americans are slowly waking up to the sad fact that much of the food sold in the US is far inferior to the same foods sold in other nations. In fact, many of the foods you eat are BANNED in other countries.

Here, I’ll review 10 American foods that are banned elsewhere, which were featured in a recent MSN article.1

Seeing how the overall health of Americans is so much lower than other industrialized countries, you can’t help but wonder whether toxic foods such as these might play a role in our skyrocketing disease rates.

#1: FARM-RAISED SALMON

If you want to maximize health benefits from fish, you want to steer clear of farmed fish, particularly farmed salmon fed dangerous chemicals. Wild salmon gets its bright pinkish-red color from natural carotenoids in their diet. Farmed salmon, on the other hand, are raised on a wholly unnatural diet of grains (including genetically engineered varieties), plus a concoction of antibiotics and other drugs and chemicals not shown to be safe for humans.

This diet leaves the fish with unappetizing grayish flesh so to compensate, they’re fed synthetic astaxanthin made from petrochemicals, which has not been approved for human consumption and has well known toxicities. According to the featured article, some studies suggest it can potentially damage your eyesight. More details are available in yesterday’s article.

Where it’s banned: Australia and New Zealand

How can you tell whether a salmon is wild or farm-raised? The flesh of wild sockeye salmon is bright red, courtesy of its natural astaxanthin content. It’s also very lean, so the fat marks, those white stripes you see in the meat, are very thin. If the fish is pale pink with wide fat marks, the salmon is farmed.

Avoid Atlantic salmon, as typically salmon labeled “Atlantic Salmon” currently comes from fish farms. The two designations you want to look for are: “Alaskan salmon,” and “sockeye salmon,” as Alaskan sockeye is not allowed to be farmed. Please realize that the vast majority of all salmon sold in restaurants is farm raised.

So canned salmon labeled “Alaskan Salmon” is a good bet, and if you find sockeye salmon, it’s bound to be wild. Again, you can tell sockeye salmon from other salmon by its color; its flesh is bright red opposed to pink, courtesy of its superior astaxanthin content. Sockeye salmon actually has one of the highest concentrations of astaxanthin of any food.

#2: GENETICALLY ENGINEERED PAPAYA

Most Hawaiian papaya is now genetically engineered to be resistant to ringspot virus. Mounting research now shows that animals fed genetically engineered foods, such as corn and soy, suffer a wide range of maladies, including intestinal damage, multiple-organ damage, massive tumors, birth defects, premature death, and near complete sterility by the third generation of offspring.

Unfortunately, the gigantic human lab experiment is only about 10 years old, so we are likely decades away from tabulating the human casualties.

Where it’s banned: The European Union

Unfortunately, it’s clear that the US government is not in a position to make reasonable and responsible decisions related to genetically engineered foods at this point, when you consider the fact that the Obama administration has placed former Monsanto attorney and Vice President, Michael Taylor, in charge of US food safety, and serious conflicts of interest even reign supreme within the US Supreme Court! That’s right. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is also a former Monsanto attorney, but refuses to acknowledge any conflict of interest.

#3: RACTOPAMINE-TAINTED MEAT

The beta agonist drug ractopamine (a repartitioning agent that increases protein synthesis) was recruited for livestock use when researchers found that the drug, used in asthma, made mice more muscular. This reduces the overall fat content of the meat. Ractopamine is currently used in about 45 percent of US pigs, 30 percent of ration-fed cattle, and an unknown percentage of turkeys are pumped full of this drug in the days leading up to slaughter. Up to 20 percent of ractopamine remains in the meat you buy from the supermarket, according to veterinarian Michael W. Fox.

Since 1998, more than 1,700 people have been “poisoned” from eating pigs fed the drug, and ractopamine is banned from use in food animals in no less than 160 different countries due to its harmful health effects! Effective February 11, 2013, Russia issued a ban on US meat imports, slated to last until the US agrees to certify that the meat is ractopamine-free. At present, the US does not even test for the presence of this drug in meats sold. In animals, ractopamine is linked to reductions in reproductive function, increase of mastitis in dairy herds, and increased death and disability. It’s also known to affect the human cardiovascular system, and is thought to be responsible for hyperactivity, and may cause chromosomal abnormalities and behavioral changes.

Where it’s banned: 160 countries across Europe, Russia, mainland China and Republic of China (Taiwan)

#4: FLAME RETARDANT DRINKS

If you live in the US and drink Mountain Dew and some other citrus-flavored sodas and sports drinks, then you are also getting a dose of a synthetic chemical called brominated vegetable oil (BVO), which was originally patented by chemical companies as a flame retardant.

BVO has been shown to bioaccumulate in human tissue and breast milk, and animal studies have found it causes reproductive and behavioral problems in large doses. Bromine is a central nervous system depressant, and a common endocrine disruptor. It’s part of the halide family, a group of elements that includes fluorine, chlorine and iodine. When ingested, bromine competes for the same receptors that are used to capture iodine. This can lead to iodine deficiency, which can have a very detrimental impact on your health. Bromine toxicity can manifest as skin rashes, acne, loss of appetite, fatigue, and cardiac arrhythmias. According to the featured article:

“The FDA has flip-flopped on BVO’s safety originally classifying it as ‘generally recognized as safe’ but reversing that call now defining it as an ‘interim food additive’ a category reserved for possibly questionable substances used in food.”

Where it’s banned: Europe and Japan

#5: PROCESSED FOODS CONTAINING ARTIFICIAL FOOD COLORS AND DYES

More than 3,000 food additives — preservatives, flavorings, colors and other ingredients — are added to US foods, including infant foods and foods targeted to young children. Meanwhile, many of these are banned in other countries, based on research showing toxicity and hazardous health effects, especially with respect to adverse effects on children’s behavior. For example, as reported in the featured article:

“Boxed Mac & Cheese, cheddar flavored crackers, Jell-O and many kids’ cereals contain red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6 and/or blue 2, the most popularly-used dyes in the United States. Research has shown this rainbow of additives can cause behavioral problems as well as cancer, birth defects and other health problems in laboratory animals. Red 40 and yellow 6 are also suspected of causing an allergy-like hypersensitivity reaction in children. The Center for Science in the Public Interest reports that some dyes are also “contaminated with known carcinogens.”

In countries where these food colors and dyes are banned, food companies like Kraft employ natural colorants instead, such as paprika extract, beetroot, and annatto. The food blogger and activist Vani Hari, better known as “Food Babe,” recently launched a Change.org petition2 asking Kraft to remove artificial dyes from American Mac & Cheese to protect American children from the well-known dangers of these dyes.

Where it’s banned: Norway and Austria. In 2009, the British government advised companies to stop using food dyes by the end of that year. The European Union also requires a warning notice on most foods containing dyes.

#6: ARSENIC-LACED CHICKEN

Arsenic-based drugs are approved for use in animal feed in the US because they make animals grow quicker and make the meat appear pinker (i.e. “fresher”). The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has stated these products are safe because they contain organic arsenic, which is less toxic than the other inorganic form, which is a known carcinogen.

The problem is, scientific reports surfaced stating that the organic arsenic could transform into inorganic arsenic, which has been found in elevated levels in supermarket chickens. The inorganic arsenic also contaminates manure where it can eventually migrate into drinking water and may also be causing heightened arsenic levels in US rice.

In 2011, Pfizer announced it would voluntarily stop marketing its arsenic-based feed additive Roxarsone, but there are still several others on the market. Several environmental groups have filed a lawsuit against the FDA calling for their removal from the market. In the European Union, meanwhile, arsenic-based compounds have never been approved as safe for animal feed.

Where it’s banned: The European Union

#7: BREAD WITH POTASSIUM BROMATE

You might not be aware of this, but nearly every time you eat bread in a restaurant or consume a hamburger or hotdog bun you are consuming bromide, as it is commonly used in flours. The use of potassium bromate as an additive to commercial breads and baked goods has been a huge contributor to bromide overload in Western cultures.

Bromated flour is “enriched” with potassium bromate. Commercial baking companies claim it makes the dough more elastic and better able to stand up to bread hooks. However, Pepperidge Farm and other successful companies manage to use only unbromated flour without any of these so-called “structural problems.” Studies have linked potassium bromate to kidney and nervous system damage, thyroid problems, gastrointestinal discomfort, and cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies potassium bromate as a possible carcinogen.

Where it’s banned: Canada, China and the EU

#8: OLESTRA/OLEAN

Olestra, aka Olean, created by Procter & Gamble, is a calorie- and cholesterol-free fat substitute used in fat-free snacks like chips and French fries. Three years ago, Time Magazine3 named it one of the worst 50 inventions ever, but that hasn’t stopped food companies from using it to satisfy people’s mistaken belief that a fat-free snack is a healthier snack. According to the featured article:

“Not only did a 2011 study from Purdue University conclude rats fed potato chips made with Olean gained weight, there have been several reports of adverse intestinal reactions to the fake fat including diarrhea, cramps and leaky bowels. And because it interferes with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E and K, the FDA requires these vitamins be added to any product made with Olean or olestra.”

Where it’s banned: The UK and Canada

#9: PRESERVATIVES BHA AND BHT

BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) are commonly used preservatives that can be found in breakfast cereal, nut mixes, chewing gum, butter spread, meat, dehydrated potatoes, and beer, just to name a few. BHA is known to cause cancer in rats, and may be a cancer-causing agent in humans as well. In fact, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, National Toxicology Program’s 2011 Report on Carcinogens, BHA “is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” It may also trigger allergic reactions and hyperactivity, while BHT can cause organ system toxicity.

Where it’s banned: The UK doesn’t allow BHA in infant foods. BHA and BHT are also banned in parts of the European Union and Japan.

#10: MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS LACED WITH RBGH

Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) is the largest selling dairy animal drug in America. RBGH is a synthetic version of natural bovine somatotropin (BST), a hormone produced in cows’ pituitary glands. Monsanto developed the recombinant version from genetically engineered E. coli bacteria and markets it under the brand name “Posilac.”

It’s injected into cows to increase milk production, but it is banned in at least 30 other nations because of its dangers to human health, which include an increased risk for colorectal, prostate, and breast cancer by promoting conversion of normal tissue cells into cancerous ones. Non-organic dairy farms frequently have rBGH-injected cows that suffer at least 16 different adverse health conditions, including very high rates of mastitis that contaminate milk with pus and antibiotics.

“According to the American Cancer Society, the increased use of antibiotics to treat this type of rBGH-induced inflammation ‘does promote the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but the extent to which these are transmitted to humans is unclear,’” the featured article states.

Many have tried to inform the public of the risks of using this hormone in dairy cows, but their attempts have been met with overwhelming opposition by the powerful dairy and pharmaceutical industries, and their government liaisons. In 1997, two Fox-affiliate investigative journalists, Jane Akre and Steve Wilson, attempted to air a program exposing the truth about the dangers of rBGH. Lawyers for Monsanto, a major advertiser with the Florida network, sent letters promising “dire consequences” if the story aired.

Despite decades of evidence about the dangers of rBGH, the FDA still maintains it’s safe for human consumption and ignores scientific evidence to the contrary. In 1999, the United Nations Safety Agency ruled unanimously not to endorse or set safety standards for rBGH milk, which has effectively resulted in an international ban on US milk.4 The Cancer Prevention Coalition, trying for years to get the use of rBGH by the dairy industry banned, resubmitted a petition to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, MD, in January 2010.5 Although the FDA stubbornly sticks to its position that milk from rBGH-treated cows is no different than milk from untreated cows, this is just plain false and is not supported by science. The only way to avoid rBGH is to look for products labeled as “rBGH-free” or “No rBGH.”

http://videomusicbox.tv/?p=1261

Member Array

Cancer in a Can: The Shocking Truth Behind Pringles

By Daily Health - September 24, 2013

Are you aware of the dangerous cancer-causing chemical that is present in almost every bottle or bag of potato chips? Pringles certainly contain this dangerous substance, but they are far from being the only culprit. Although acrylamide is found in essentially all potato chips, it is widely considered to be a harmful, cancer-causing chemical, which makes potato chips one of the most toxic processed foods on the market.

The Story Behind Acrylamide

Acrylamide develops when carbohydrate-rich foods are cooked at high temperatures (anything above 212°F (100°C). Whether a potato is baked, fried, or roasted, acrylamide will be produced. Many of our standard carbohydrates can be slightly toxic when cooked, including potatoes, and grains. But the levels of acrylamide you would get from naturally cooked whole foods will never be as elevated as junk food.

For instance, potato chips and French fries seem to be the worst sources of acrylamide. In fact, a study by the Environmental Law Foundation found that every single chip product that they tested exceeded the legal limit for acrylamide by at least 39 times. Some brands had as much as 910 times the legal limits of acrylamide.

HEATOX was a study that examined the dangers of heat-induced compounds. The report shows that acrylamide is not alone, unfortunately. There are actually over 800 compounds formed by heat, 52 of which have the potential to be dangerous carcinogens. That means that there are plenty of reasons besides acrylamide to avoid cooking your food at high temperatures! For instance, heterocylic amines (HCAs), polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and advanced glycation end products (AGEs) all pose a serious threat to your health.

Decreasing Acrylamide In Your Diet

The bad news is that researchers currently don’t have an effective strategy for completely cutting acrylamide out of our food. In fact, even using all of our best technology, we are only capable of reducing acrylamide in our food products by 40%, according to HEATOX’s report. That still leaves a lot of cancer-causing chemicals in our diet!

Since you aren’t able to completely eliminate your exposure to acrylamide, it is crucial to take the steps you can in order to decrease your risk of cancer. Interestingly enough, home-cooked food is less likely to contain extremely high levels of acrylamide, so taking the time to prepare your own food is a good start towards reducing acrylamide in your diet!

The main method of decreasing your intake of acrylamide is to mostly consume raw or minimally processed foods. If you don’t cook your food, you never allow acrylamide to form! Raw fruits and vegetables are your healthiest option. There is a widespread movement towards eating raw foods, so you can easily find plenty of tasty recipes that don’t require you to cook your food.

If you aren’t quite ready to cut out that much cooked food, focus on eliminating your intake of obvious problems, such as donuts, sodas, French fries, and, of course, potato chips.

http://dailyhealthpost.com/cancer-in...ehind-pringles

Member Array

5 Fresh Foods You Shouldn’t Keep in Your Refrigerator

By Hilary Meyer – Mar 26, 2012

Now that spring has sprung, I'm loading up on more fresh veggies, and that has me thinking about the best way to store them to keep them at their freshest. I only go to the grocery store once a week, which means I have to keep my produce stored properly to avoid ending up with a giant pile of bad veggies ready for the compost pile at the end of the week.

And as it turns out, the refrigerator is not the go-to storage unit for all your produce. Below are 5 types of produce you shouldn't keep in your fridge.

Tomatoes

OK, a tomato is technically a fruit, but taste-wise, it's closer to a vegetable. If you've ever grown tomatoes, then you know that they love the heat and hate the cold. Turns out even after they're plucked from the vine, they still hold their aversion to cold. The fridge is not the ideal place to store tomatoes. Store them there and your perfect tomatoes turn into a mealy disappointment. They'll still be good for cooking, but not the best for eating fresh. Instead store them on your counter (not in direct sunlight) and enjoy them when they're ripe.

Basil

Tomatoes and basil go well together on your plate and it turns out they have similar needs in the storage department too. Like tomatoes, basil loves the heat, so extended periods of time in a cold environment like a refrigerator causes it to wilt prematurely. Basil will do best if it's stored on your counter and treated as you would fresh cut-flowers. A fresh bunch of basil can be stored for in a cup of water (change it every day or two) away from direct sunlight. Covering it loosely with a plastic bag will help keep it moist (but make sure the bag has an opening to allow for some fresh air to seep in).

Potatoes

Potatoes like cool, not cold temperatures. They do best at around 45 degrees F, which is about 10 degrees warmer than the average refrigerator. Most of us don't have a root cellar (a cool, dark place to store root vegetables like potatoes), so keeping them in a paper bag in a coolish spot (like a pantry) is best. Why paper? It's more breathable than plastic so potatoes won't succumb to rot as easily. And why not the fridge? Storing potatoes at cold temperatures converts their starch to sugar more quickly, which can affect the flavor, texture and the way they cook.

Onions

Onions don't come out of the ground with that protective papery skin. To develop and keep that dry outer layer, they need to be "cured" and kept in a dry environment like a pantry, which is not as damp as the refrigerator. Also, lack of air circulation will cause onions to spoil, as will storing them near potatoes, which give off moisture and gas that can cause onions to spoil quickly. Store onions in a cool, dry, dark, well-ventilated place. (Light can cause the onions to become bitter.) Scallions and chives, however, have a higher water content, bruise more easily and have a shorter shelf life, so store these alliums in the fridge.

Avocados

Avocados don't start to ripen until after they're picked from the tree. If you're buying a rock-hard avocado, don't store it in your refrigerator, as it slows the ripening process. On the other hand, if you have a perfectly ripe avocado that you're not ready to use, storing it in the refrigerator may work to your advantage by prolonging your window of opportunity to use it before it becomes overripe. So the bottom line on storing avocados is store hard, unripe avocados on your counter and store ripe avocados in your refrigerator if you're not going to eat them right away.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/5-...165900991.html

Member Array

Hot curries lead to longer life: Scientists say pain-blocking ability of chillis boosts lifespan

• A spicy meal like curry can boost your lifespan, according to scientists
    • Switching off body's ability to feel pain could be key to increasing lifespan
    • Advice follows experiments in mice by preventing pain signals reaching brain

By Fiona Macrae | 22 May 2014

Scientists say that blocking the body’s ability to feel pain boosts lifespan - and that one way of switching off pain is by regularly eating chilli peppers.

The culinary advice follows experiments in mice, in which stopping pain signals from reaching the brain extended their lifespan.

Animals that could not make pain-sensing protein called TRPV1 were ‘exceptionally long lived’. Not only was life 14 per cent longer, but it was also healthier. They developed cancer less often and their memory faded less with age.

They seemed to be able to burn off calories without exercising more than usual and their metabolism, including their ability to process sugar remained youthful late in life.

This could cut the risk of diabetes, the journal Cell reports. University of California researcher Andrew Dillin said: ‘We think that blocking this pain receptor and pathway could be very, very useful not only for relieving pain, but for improving lifespan and metabolic health and in particular for treating diabetes and obesity in humans. ‘As humans age, they report a higher incidence of pain, suggesting that pain might drive the ageing process.’

The animals in his experiment had been genetically-engineered to not make the TRPV1 pain sensor. But Professor Dillin said that regularly eating capsaicin, the compound that gives chilli peppers their zing, should stop the sensor from working. He said: ‘Chronic ingestion of compounds that affect TRPV1 such as capsaicin might help prevent metabolic decline with age and lead to increased longevity in humans.’

Alternatively, many drugs that are already in use, including a migraine pill, affect the way the pain sensor works. Scientists are around the world are searching for a ‘forever young’ drug that will give us a long and healthy old age. Some say the science is moving so quickly that it will soon be possible to prevent many of the ills of old age.

By taking a pill a day from middle-age, we will grow old free from illnesses of the body and mind such as Alzheimer’s and heart disease. Spared many of the aches and pains of old age, people could work for longer – or simply make the most of their retirement. Some research even suggests that skin and hair will retain its youthful lustre.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-lifespan.html

Member Array

The Worst Summer Fruits

Fruits soaked in pesticides shouldn't be making any appearances in your kitchen this season

BY EMILY MAIN - 6/1/2014

Toxic Fruit?

Summertime is the height of fruit season. At no other time of year can you get fruit that tastes as juicy and sweet as it does right now. The only problem? Most of it has been soaked in pesticides. Fruit is notoriously difficult to grow organically and without pesticides, says Jeff Moyer, farm director at the Rodale Institute, an organic research institution. "Fruit is colorful and high in sugar content," he adds. "We all, many insects included, love sugar." Because most fruits have soft skins, the pesticides that are used to kill those bugs (and the molds and fungi that also love fruit) get into the flesh and into your mouth, and no amount of peeling or washing can remove them.

Each year, the nonprofit Environmental Working Group (EWG) analyzes data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) Pesticide Data Monitoring Program and issues a list of the most and least pesticide-contaminated fruits and vegetables. Following are the fruits you should always buy organic because of the high levels of pesticides found on—and in—them. Of course, "if your choice is between a chocolate doughnut and a conventionally grown peach, the peach should be the obvious pick," says Sonya Lunder, senior analyst at EWG.

Grapes

More pesticides are used on grapes than on any other fruit. Combined, the various samples of grapes used in the 2012 EWG report contained 64 different pesticides.

Strawberries

A single sample of strawberries tested by the USDA contained 13 different pesticides.

Imported Plums

The most common pesticide found on plums imported from abroad (most commonly from Chile) is iprodione, which the Environmental Protection Agency has dubbed a "likely" carcinogen.

Pears

In EWG's analysis, 92 percent of the pear samples tested positive for at least one pesticide residue, while 26 percent were tainted with 5 or more pesticides

Peaches

Many of the pesticides used on peaches are systemic. They're sprayed on a tree before it bears fruit, but the chemicals wind up getting into the fruit as it grows, and there's no way to remove them.

Nectarines

Every sample of imported nectarines tested positive for pesticide residues, the USDA found, and the average imported nectarine contained more pesticides by weight than any other food. Domestically grown nectarines didn't fare much better. They contained the same range of pesticides, but at lower levels.

Cherries

One of the most commonly used pesticides on cherries, carbaryl, is suspected of causing cancer and may lead to neurological diseases such as Parkinson's and to birth defects.

Blueberries

More than 40 different pesticides were found on blueberries grown in the U.S.

Apples

Cancer causers, hormone disruptors and neurotoxins have all been detected on apples, 98 percent of which test positive for pesticides. Because they're so popular and are eaten daily by so many people, apples earned the top spot on EWG's list of foods you should always buy organic.

http://www.rodalenews.com/pesticides-fruit

Moderator Array

Give me organic any day.
    "The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger." (Sahih Al Bukhari Vol 8. No.135)

Member Array

'Pink slime' is back and headed for your burger

By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney August 13, 2014

The maker of the beef product dubbed "pink slime" by critics is reopening a plant that it shut in the face of bad publicity two years ago.

Beef Products Inc. makes a product it calls "lean finely textured beef" using meat trimmings from other companies like Tyson (TSN). It shut down three of its four plants following reports about the product on ABC news in the spring of 2012.

ABC is still working its way through the courts. The company said its sales fell by 80% in the weeks after the network's reports about the product. Some major buyers, such as McDonald's (MCD) and the grocery chain Safeway (SWY) told ABC they would stop buying the product to mix with its ground beef.

But sales for Beef Products Inc. have bounced back recently, according to spokesman Jeremy Jacobsen. "We've seen an uptick in the business," he said.

Beef prices have hit record highs this year in the face of growing demand for beef fromoverseas markets and drought conditions in large parts of the country. The higher prices have increased demand for less-expensive meat products.

Beef Products said it plans to reopen a plant in western Kansas next week, hiring between 40 to 45 workers. It had employed 230 workers before it closed. Its only plant now operating is in Dakota City, Nebraska.

Beef Products insists that its product is safe -- made entirely of beef without additives or fillers. The company also says its product reduces the fat content of ground beef and other products to which it is added.

But critics quoted in the ABC report call it a salvage product made of trimmings that were formerly used only in dog food and cooking oil.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/13/news...ime/index.html

Member Array

Why You Should Never Eat Tilapia

Fish can either be one of the best foods for you or utterly detrimental to your health depending on where it is sourced. There is a vast difference between fish that is caught in the wild, farm-bred or farm-raised fish. Tilapia is almost entirely a farmed fish but as it is cheap, boneless and skinless is has now almost become an everyday fish for us in America.

The farming of Tilapia is usually done on an industrial scale, with thousands of fish being harvested every day. If found in the wild, tilapia would eat algae and lake plants, but the way they are farmed gives them nothing natural in their diet. They are fattened up on soy pellets and GMO corn thus producing a fish containing virtually no healthy fish oil – the main reason we are all encouraged to eat plenty fish in our diets.

WHY IS FARMED TILAPIA SO BAD FOR OUR HEALTH ?

1. Recent Studies showed that farm-raised Tilapia may lead to more inflammation. This can then lead to heart disease, arthritis, asthma as well as other serious health problems. Many of us turn to fish as a way to increase our intake of omega-3-fatty-acids and thus lessen our risk of heart attacks. However, scientists have found that the inflammatory potential of tilapia is in fact far greater than that of a hamburger or pork bacon!

2. Farmed fish have been found to contain more than 10 times the amount of dangerous cancer causing organic pollutants compared to wild fish. This is most probably linked to the cocktail of chemicals and gmo ingredients that farmed fish are fed on. Research has proven that one of the main ingredients in farm fish food is, shockingly, chicken feces. In addition, pig and duck waste are also commonly used.

3. Farm-bred fish have been found to have dangerously high concentrations of antibiotics and pesticides. Farm fed fish are treated with high doses of antibiotics as they are very susceptible to many diseases owing to the intensity of such crowded farming. In addition they are given pesticides to protect them from sea lice. These pesticides are so toxic that they have been fatal to wild salmon that are accidentally exposed to them. Eventually, through the digestion systems of these farmed fish, those same toxic pesticides eventually find their way into the ocean at large thus contaminating other marine life.

4. Farm-bred fish contain far lower levels of healthy nutrients than wild or organically farmed fish. So far from being a good source of omega-3 fatty acids for us, the omega-3 that these fish contain is actually not processed in our bodies in the same way as from wild fish so is not nutritionally beneficial. The protein levels are also lower as well as a far higher fat content, mainly caused by the lack of movement that is allowed to these intensively raised fish who are usually kept in huge numbers in cages.

5. Dioxin levels are up to 11 times higher in farm-bred fish when compared to wild fish. Dioxin is actually a very toxic chemical that has been shown to be a contributory factor in cancer and other serious health complications. When dioxins enters our bodies its toxic effects can go on causing damage as it has a half-life of between 7-11 years so remains in our bodies causing potential damage long after we have ingested it.

Fish can be an incredible health building food if you eat with wild caught fish. Please choose the source of your fish carefully and pass this information on.

Sources :
    www.informafrica.com/health-africa/africans-in-america-4-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-eat-tilapia
    http://draxe.com/eating-tilapia-is-w...n-eating-bacon
    Image courtesy” target=”_blank”>http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/08/tonys-tilapia.html”>Image courtesy

Member Array

Drinking three litres of water a day took TEN YEARS off my face

• One in five women drinks less than the recommended daily intake of water
    • Every system and function in our body depends on water...
    • Especially because the liquid flushes toxins from vital organs

By SARAH SMITH|30 October 2013

You might think I'd have little in common with a camel, but we do share one useful skill: both of us can go for a very long time without water.

Usually I start my day with a cup of tea, then I might have a glass of water with my lunch and one with dinner - that's about a litre of liquid in 24 hours. It feels like plenty, but apparently it's not nearly enough.

After years of suffering headaches and poor digestion I spoke to a neurologist about my regular headaches and a nutritionist about my poor digestion, and both told me I should be drinking up to three litres of liquid a day for my body to function at its best.

Then, when I read a recent survey suggesting that at least one in five women in the UK consumes less than the recommended daily intake of water, I decided to conduct an experiment. What would happen if I drank the recommended amount every day for a month?

The photograph of me taken the day I started this trial demonstrates perfectly - and rather frighteningly - what a lack of hydration does to a face.

I am 42, but have to admit I look more like 52 in this picture, which is shocking. There are dark shadows under and around my eyes, which make me look exhausted, a profusion of wrinkles and strange reddish blotches, and my skin lacks any lustre. It looks dead.

My daughters, Alice, eight, and Betty, four, tell me I look 'about 100 years old' in this photograph and I have to agree.

Even my lips look shrivelled. This is all classic evidence of poor hydration, apparently. Every system and function in our body depends on water.

It flushes toxins from the vital organs, carries nutrients to cells, provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues, and eliminates waste.

Not drinking enough means all these functions become impaired. So I decided to see how I would look and feel if I drank three litres of water every day for 28 days. The results were astonishing . . .

Week One
    Weight: 8st 7lb
    Waist: 28in

Three litres of water is just over five pints, which sounds like an awful lot. I visit my local GP in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, to be sure there can be no adverse health implications to upping my water intake so dramatically.

He is very encouraging. 'I suggest you have a big jug of water in the morning, then another in the afternoon and another in the evening,' he says. 'Your kidneys, which filter waste products from the blood before turning it to urine, will quickly feel the benefit, as they will be getting a good flush through.'

I usually have a wee three times a day: when I get up, before I go to bed and at some point in the afternoon. By the end of my first day of drinking more water, I have had six and my usually sluggish bowels are much more lively.

I exfoliate my face every day to try to get rid of dry patches before I apply moisturiser, but suddenly I seem to be breaking out in spots. Maybe it's all the toxins coming out of my skin. A few days into the experiment I'm still urinating five or six times a day but it's clear now, rather than dark yellow.

I'm enjoying lots of cups of tea. My husband says that's cheating, but I tell him the British Nutritional Foundation says 'moderate amounts of caffeine do not cause dehydration, so they do count towards your fluid intake'.

I meet friends for a drink one night, remembering that alcohol is a diuretic (a substance which promotes the production of urine), acting on the kidneys. For every one alcoholic drink, your body can eliminate up to four times as much liquid.

I assume a white wine spritzer is a good option because the alcohol is diluted with soda water, and I sip water between alcoholic drinks throughout the evening.

Hangover headaches result from dehydration: the body's organs try to make up for a lack of water by stealing it from the brain, as a result of which it actually shrinks.

Headaches result from the pulling on the membranes that connect your brain to your skull. Ouch. Luckily, I escape all this and wake up hangover-free.

For years I've been doing ten minutes of yoga every morning straight after I get up, but I've been feeling stiffer over the past six months. Yet since I started drinking more water my flexibility has improved. Gemma Critchley, from the British Dietetic Association, confirms that water helps lubricate the joints.

Week Two
    Weight: 8st 6lb (lost a pound)
    Waist: 28in

My complexion is improving and my skin tone is more even. I still have wrinkles under my eyes, but they look less crepey and shadowy than before.

The blotches on my face are diminishing, and the shadows around my eyes are less pronounced.

I feel pleased when my sister-in-law tells me my skin looks clearer than it did a week ago. I have a busy week with lots of time away from home, so I stock up on half-litre bottles of mineral water I can carry around in my bag. A week's worth costs just over £8. If I spread my water intake over the day, that's half a litre when I wake up, another with breakfast, one with lunch, one in the afternoon, one with my evening meal then another before bed. It sounds like a lot, but I'm finding it manageable.

Today, I've noticed my breath smells less 'breathy', maybe because I've ditched tea - I decided water was better for me. I'm certainly not missing the sweet, milky taste it left in my mouth.

Gemma Critchley says: 'Water is obviously the best choice since it has no calories and will hydrate you efficiently.' I say I might try juice instead of water sometimes, just for the taste and variety, but she warns me not to.

'If you drink a large glass of juice, you could be consuming more energy than you need,' she says, which would mean weight gain.

I haven't had a headache for over a week now, which is unusual for me, and I'm delighted that my bowels are working so much better. Result!

I went shopping this afternoon in Leeds, but having to find a lavatory three times in five hours was irritating - they always seem to be in the most hidden corner of every shop.

I'd expected my stomach to feel bloated with all the extra water but it's actually flatter than usual. And my husband says the cellulite on my bottom and thighs has vanished.
    Surely this is too good to be true?

Week Three
    Weight: 8st 6lb
    Waist: 27.5in (lost half an inch)

The dark rings and wrinkles under my eyes have virtually disappeared, and my skin looks plumper and more nourished. My friend, who is a beauty therapist, says this is because the water is helping my skin cells regenerate more efficiently.

I've noticed I've stopped rubbing my eyes when I wake up in the morning. They used to be dry and full of sleep, but not now. All this extra water must be keeping them moist.

I'm feeling guilty about all the plastic bottles I've been using so I'm back on Yorkshire tap water, which I carry around in a re-usable water bottle.

I have to take a long train journey and I realise afterwards how productive I felt and how easy I found it to concentrate, rather than having my customary snooze.

Dr Emma Derbyshire, senior lecturer in nutritional physiology at Manchester Metropolitan University and adviser to the Natural Hydration Council, says: 'Our brain is 73 per cent water, so poor hydration can affect how it functions. Dehydration can reduce our ability to concentrate as well as our cognitive performance.'

The downside was having to use train toilets. Dreadful.

I'm eating less because drinking water with meals makes me feel fuller quicker. I used to snack, but I was reaching for food when I was actually thirsty. Studies show 37 per cent of people mistake thirst for hunger.

When I put on eye make-up, my eyes seem less wrinkled. When I rubbed an eye-shadow applicator over my eyelid, it used to drag the skin with it, too, but now my skin seems to have more elasticity.

Week Four
    Weight: 8st 5lb (lost another 1lb)
    Waist: 27in (another half an inch)

I genuinely can't believe the difference in my face. I look like a different woman. The dark shadows around my eyes have all but disappeared and the blotches have gone. My skin is almost as dewy as it was when I was a child. The transformation is nothing short of remarkable.

I'm feeling leaner and fitter, too, which is amazing, since the only thing I've changed is the amount of water I drink. My best friend says she's worried about how much water I'm consuming - she's heard rumours about Nigella Lawson being an 'aquaholic' who drinks three litres before bed.

But I am following safe guidelines under the supervision of my GP, so I am able to reassure her.

I even enjoy another boozy night out but drink lots of water along the way and wake up feeling fresh as a daisy. Whatever happens, I am going to keep on drinking three litres of water a day - and would advise every woman to do the same (after checking with her doctor, of course).

I feel fitter, leaner and healthier, and my husband and friends tell me I look ten years younger. Who in their right mind would not want to try something which gets such incredible results?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz35OxYvtLM

Member Array

Foods Nutritionists Won't Eat

Chocolate Chips

"Any food with chocolate chips is probably made from compound chocolate, which is cheaper, has a longer shelf life and is easier to work with than quality chocolate. Life’s too short to be eating bad chocolate! Choc chips are waxy and have a higher melting point than real chocolate does, so when they land on your tongue, they don’t dissolve as they should—or have the same delicious flavor. They don’t contain the healthy fats you find in the cocoa butter of good-quality chocolate.

Glenn Cardwell Accredited practicing dietitian, Nutrition Impact, Perth

Quick oats

I tend to avoid quick-cook porridges because their glycaemic index (GI) is getting higher and higher. In their efforts to make food more convenient, manufacturers have cut oats so finely that even so-called traditional oats now cook in five minutes. As a result, their GI has risen from 50 to about 85—a real shame. Real oats look like the ones you see in muesli bars; they’re thick-cut and take at least 10 minutes to cook. Your body also takes longer to absorb them, so they make you feel satisfied long after breakfast is over.

Rice Crackers

"Although they may provide a satisfying crunch, all rice crackers are extremely high in salt. Otherwise, they’d have all the flavor of cardboard! They also have a high GI—as do many crisp breads. I give these crackers a miss most of the time; you have to eat a million of them to feel satisfied! Instead, I opt for a low-GI carbohydrate, such as a slice of wholegrain bread or a good sourdough. Finding low-GI carbs can also be tricky when you’re dining out, but brown-rice sushi is becoming more available and has become my snack of choice."

Chewing Gum

"Chewing gum makes me incredibly hungry: the action of chewing tells my body that I’m going to start digesting something. It gears up and starts its insulin response, and before I know it, I’m hungrier than I was before! On top of that, a lot of gum contains artificial sweeteners. And having more than one piece may produce a laxative effect, which can create bloating, wind and discomfort. I used to accept people’s offer of chewing gum when I feared I had coffee breath, but it didn’t really make me feel good. It just made me want to eat!"

Soft Drink

"When I was a kid, my favorite soft drink was Fanta. But as my nutrition knowledge grew, I discovered that soft drinks are loaded with sugar, coloring, additives and preservatives. Now I won’t put soft drinks in my body, and I certainly don’t give them to my 8-year-old son. (They’re not great for his teeth, either.) Instead, I’ve encouraged him to drink milk, plain water and mineral water. Although mineral water is higher in sodium than plain water is, it’s still a better alternative than other sugary drinks."

White Bread

"As a young kid, I was a big fan of white bread. But around the age of 12, I made the switch to multigrain because of its fiber, iron and zinc content—apparently, I knew early on that I wanted to be a nutritionist! These days, my kitchen is always stacked with wholegrain-bread varieties; I just won’t have anything else. Two slices of regular white bread gives you only 1 to 3g of fiber, but the same amount of a rye or multigrain variety (such as Helga’s Seed Sensations or Country Life Organic Rye) gives you more than 6 g."

Butter and Margarine

"I used to enjoy margarine on toast, but then I looked into how manufacturers produce it; it’s just not a natural product. Essentially, liquid oil becomes a solid through hydrogenation. This creates trans fats, which can increase ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol. I also avoid butter; research strongly links its saturated-fat content to heart disease—a message we’ve been hearing for the past 10 to 15 years. I opt for natural plant spreads, such as hummus, and 100-per-cent-nut spreads, like natural peanut butter or almond butter."

Processed Meats

"My parents are European, so we used to eat quite a bit of ham and salami. But since I’ve found out about the high nitrate content of processed meats, I’ve banned my family from eating them. Nitrates (which you can identify by the numbers 249 to 252 on food labels) are the preservatives that give processed meat its nice pink appearance. Because the World Cancer Research Fund strongly links nitrates with bowel cancer, I’ve dropped the sausage in favour of freshly cooked meat; poultry; and plant proteins, such as lentils and tofu."

Cream and Sour Cream

"When I was younger, I loved to pour fresh cream on hot desserts, and I often enjoyed sour cream with stroganoffs, stews and nachos. But cream is way too high in saturated fat, and you don’t get much nutritional value in return. These days, I’m more inclined to have yoghurt with my dessert, but I still limit the amount I indulge in. For example, I cook with Carnation Light and Creamy Evaporated Milk or a low-fat natural yoghurt. I end up with a creamy result that’s much the same, but with far fewer dangerous fats."

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/preven...-t-eat/8285153

Member Array

Your Vitamins May Be Doing More Harm Than Good, We’ll Show You How You Can Check

By Matt Agorist

Next time you go to purchase those multivitamins do a little digging, you may be surprised to find out that your “vitamin” is not made by who you thought. Did you know that more than 95% of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that you can buy at “health food” stores and close to 100% of those sold in other stores are now made by the same few pharmaceutical and chemical companies who supply them to most all the vitamin and mineral companies?

Many popular brands of vitamins are “fortified” with the synthetic counterpart of the nutrient claimed to be in the pill. There are many reasons for these synthetic ingredients but the main reason they are used is to increase the bottom line; it is much cheaper to source different chemical byproducts to simulate a chemical make-up than it is to extract minerals and vitamins from growing healthy food. After the money is saved by sourcing dangerous chemicals instead of real ingredients, Big Pharma and their “chemical brothers” can now spend billions making you think that these imitation vitamins are good for you; for every dollar pharmaceutical companies spend on “basic research,” $19 goes toward promotion and marketing.

Below is a list of 5 toxic ingredients contained in versions of the most popular vitamin on the market today, Centrum, made by Pfizer. Less than a year ago, Pfizer was being sued for making false claims about their Centrum multivitamins and there alleged ability to promote “breast health” and “colon health.” The reality is that these supposed “vitamins” are merely synthetic chemical counterparts that do not carry the same benefits as the naturally occurring minerals and, in fact, can cause a myriad of damaging health effects.

Toxic Ingredients to Avoid

1. Ferrous Fumarate - C4H2FeO4

Ferrous fumarate is the anhydrous salt formed by combining ferrous iron with fumaric acid and used as a hematinic (a preparation used to improve the quality of blood). Unfortunately, inorganic iron is pro-oxidative, stimulating the damaging effects in the body of substances known as free radicals. There is evidence linking high inorganic iron intake to cardiovascular disease and cancer. Excessive iron accumulates in the liver, and may feed bacterial and viral infection. Iron is found, in a healthy body, in the form of metalloproteins, because in exposed or in free form it causes production of free radicals that are generally toxic to cells. In its “free” form iron binds avidly to virtually all biomolecules so it will adhere nonspecifically to cell membranes, nucleic acids, proteins etc., causing substantial damage. When, for instance, iron binds with LDL, it oxidizes it, resulting in obstruction.

2. Chromic Chloride - CrCl3

Although trivalent chromium like Chromic Chloride is far less poisonous than the hexavalent form, it is definitely a toxic substance, known to exhibit genotoxic, mutagenic, teratrogenic (reproductive hazard) and is on the Hazardous Substance list. Its main use is in the metal industries for chromizing; in the manufacture of chromium metal and compounds; as a catalyst for polymerization of olefins and other organic reactions; as a textile mordant; in tanning; in corrosion inhibitors; as a waterproofing agent.

3. Magnesium Stearate - Mg(C18H35O2)2

Used to make large scale production tableting of supplements and drugs possible, this chemical excipient is produced through reacting sodium stearate with magnesium sulfate, in a way similar to the production of other hydrogenated oils. Magnesium Stearate has shown to cause death from inhalation of the powder.

4. Manganese Sulfate - MnSO4H2O

The Material Safety Data Sheet classifies this chemical as a hazardous substance. Toxicological data indicates it is tumerigenic, mutagenic and teratogenic (adversely effects reproduction).

5. Sodium Selenite - Na2SeO3

An inorganic form of selenium with known toxicity. Studies have shown it may cause tumors, genetic mutations, interfere with reproduction, and cause birth defects. Although it is an essential antioxidant when found in food as biologically active selenium, inorganic selenium as selenite has a pro-oxidative effect.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/vit...ell-show-check

What can you do to make sure your vitamins are not just chemical cocktails with ostensible health benefits?

Below is a list of precautions one can use to avoid purchasing synthetic vitamins.

Cheryl Myers, FoodMatters.tv

Step 1

Look for the words “100 percent natural” on the product’s label. Some product labels may contain the words “natural,” but manufacturers can claim “natural” on their nutritional products if at least 10 percent of the product comes from natural food sources. The Organic Consumers Organization recommends looking for products that contain “100 percent plant-based” or “100 percent animal-based” on the product’s label.

Step 2

Find the “food source” list on the products label. If the product’s label does not contain a list of natural food sources, then the product is synthetic. Look for food sources such as yeast, fish, vegetable and citrus.

Step 3

Identify whole foods in the ingredient list instead of the particular nutrient. Dr. Ben Kim, a chiropractor and acupuncturist with his own radio show, says to look for foods on the list of ingredients that contain a certain vitamin, such as “acerola cherry powder,” which contains vitamin C. If you can identify “vitamin C” in the ingredient list, Kim says you can almost guarantee that the vitamin is synthetic.

Step 4

Look for salt forms on the product label, a synthetic added to supplements for increasing the stability of the vitamin or mineral. Some of the salt forms to look for include acetate, bitartrate, chloride, gluconate, hydrochloride, nitrate and succinate.

Step 5

Learn how to read the product’s label by looking for keywords that indicate the supplement is synthetic. Words that end in “ide” or “ate” indicate that the product contains salt forms, which are synthetics.

For instance, if you see chloride, hydrochloride, acetate or nitrate on the list of ingredients, the manufacturer used synthetics for the product.

Additionally, the letters “dl” that appear before the name of an ingredient indicates the supplement is synthetic. As an example, look for “fish oils” when buying a vitamin A supplement. If the product’s label states “palmitate,” it is a synthetic vitamin A supplement.

Common Synthetic Vitamins to Avoid

Vitamin A: Acetate and Palmitate
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): Thiamine Mononitrate, Thiamine Hydrochloride
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Riboflavin
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
    Vitamin B12: Cobalamin
    Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): Ascorbic Acid
    Vitamin D: Irradiated Ergosteral, Calciferol
    Vitamin E: dl-alpha tocopherol, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate or succinate
    Biotin: d-Biotin
    Choline: Choline Chloride, Choline Bitartrate
    Folic Acid: Pteroylglutamic Acid
    Pantothenic Acid: Calcium D-Pantothenate
    PABA (Para-aminobenzoic Acid): Aminobenzoic Acid

http://www.realfarmacy.com/your-vita...oing-more-harm

More Information:

Nutri-Con: The Truth About Vitamins & Supplements (book)
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_3697.cfm

Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamins – What’s the Big Difference?
    http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/natur...hetic-vitamins

Member Array

Processed Food May Cause Bowel Cancer

Common additives change gut bacteria which allow tumors to grow

By Stephen Matthews - 7 November 2016

Common additives used in every day foods including bread, margarine and sweets may be behind the huge rise in bowel cancer, scientists claim.

Emulsifiers, which are added to most processed foods to aid texture and extend their shelf life, alter gut bacteria.

Experts fear the additives may be creating higher amounts of bad bacteria, disrupting the healthy balance within the gut.

This alteration causes inflammation within the intestine which provides tumors with a habitable environment to grow in, new research suggests.

Previous research has found microorganisms living in the stomach are a key driving factor behind inflammatory bowel disease.

Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, two of the most common forms of the disease, are known to aid tumour growth.

The inflammation caused by the disease has previously been found to alter levels of bad bacteria and is found in many cases of colorectal cancer.

But now US researchers believe emulsifiers may be partially responsible for this link, because they promote colon tumorigenesis - the production of tumors.

It is the second most common form of cancer death in the UK, behind lung cancer killing 16,200 each year.

The disease is the fourth most commonly diagnosed, after breast, prostate and lung, with 41,000 cases identified every year.

Researchers from Georgia State University fed mice with two very commonly used emulsifiers.

They were given either polysorbate 80 or carboxymethylcellulose at doses similar to those in the majority of processed foods.

Experts found consuming the additives drastically changed the bacterial make-up of the stomach.

They also discovered that it causes low-grade inflammation which allowed cancer cells to thrive and grow.

Lead researcher Dr Emilie Viennois said: 'The incidence of colorectal cancer has been markedly increasing since the mid-20th century.

'A key feature of this disease is the presence of an altered intestinal microbiota that creates a favourable niche for tumorigenesis.'

The US researchers are now testing to see what triggers the alteration and the exact way it can cause cancer.

The findings were published in the journal Cancer Research.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ours-grow.html

Member Array

Asian Seafood Raised on Pig Feces Approved for U.S. Consumers

By Nguyen Dieu Tu Uyen and William Bi - October 11, 2012

At Ngoc Sinh Seafoods Trading & Processing Export Enterprise, a seafood exporter on Vietnam’s southern coast, workers stand on a dirty floor sorting shrimp one hot September day. There’s trash on the floor, and flies crawl over baskets of processed shrimp stacked in an unchilled room in Ca Mau.

Elsewhere in Ca Mau, Nguyen Van Hoang packs shrimp headed for the U.S. in dirty plastic tubs. He covers them in ice made with tap water that the Vietnamese Health Ministry says should be boiled before drinking because of the risk of contamination with bacteria. Vietnam ships 100 million pounds of shrimp a year to the U.S. That’s almost 8 percent of the shrimp Americans eat.

Using ice made from tap water in Vietnam is dangerous because it can spread bacteria to the shrimp, microbiologist Mansour Samadpour says, Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its November issue.

“Those conditions -- ice made from dirty water, animals near the farms, pigs -- are unacceptable,” says Samadpour, whose company, IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group, specializes in testing water for shellfish farming.

Ngoc Sinh has been certified as safe by Geneva-based food auditor SGS SA, says Nguyen Trung Thanh, the company’s general director.

No Record

“We are trying to meet international standards,” Thanh says.

SGS spokeswoman Jennifer Buckley says her company has no record of auditing Ngoc Sinh.

At Chen Qiang’s tilapia farm in Yangjiang city in China’s Guangdong province, which borders Hong Kong, Chen feeds fish partly with feces from hundreds of pigs and geese. That practice is dangerous for American consumers, says Michael Doyle, director of the University of Georgia’s Center for Food Safety.

“The manure the Chinese use to feed fish is frequently contaminated with microbes like salmonella,” says Doyle, who has studied foodborne diseases in China.

On a sweltering, overcast day in August, the smell of excrement is overpowering. After seeing dead fish on the surface, Chen, 45, wades barefoot into his murky pond to open a pipe that adds fresh water from a nearby canal. Exporters buy his fish to sell to U.S. companies.

Yang Shuiquan, chairman of a government-sponsored tilapia aquaculture association in Lianjiang, 200 kilometers from Yangjiang, says he discourages using feces as food because it contaminates water and makes fish more susceptible to diseases. He says a growing number of Guangdong farmers adopt that practice anyway because of fierce competition.

“Many farmers have switched to feces and have stopped using commercial feed,” he says.

Frequently Contaminated

About 27 percent of the seafood Americans eat comes from China -- and the shipments that the FDA checks are frequently contaminated, the FDA has found. The agency inspects only about 2.7 percent of imported food. Of that, FDA inspectors have rejected 1,380 loads of seafood from Vietnam since 2007 for filth and salmonella, including 81 from Ngoc Sinh, agency records show. The FDA has rejected 820 Chinese seafood shipments since 2007, including 187 that contained tilapia.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-u-s-consumers

Member Array

8 Gross Bugs You Don't Know You're Eating

Find out which of your favorite foods contain the most bugs.

By Emily Main - August 16, 2016

Sure, bugs can be considered one of the world's healthiest foods because they're eaten as a healthy source of protein. But in most places, the people who are eating them know they’re eating them. That’s not the case here in the United States, where we’re still a bit squeamish about eating insects as our sole source of protein. In a lax food-safety loophole, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has decided that allowing insects like mites and maggots is perfectly acceptable, to a degree, provided they don’t hinder the “aesthetic” quality of foods. Aesthetic or not, do you want to eat caterpillars? In the United States, it’s estimated that the average person unintentionally eats a pound of insects every year. Here are a few of the more disgusting bugs sneaking into your food.

Thrips

At anywhere from 1/25 to 1/8 of an inch long, these tiny little winged parasites are legally allowed in apple butter, canned or frozen asparagus, frozen broccoli, and frozen Brussels sprouts.

Aphids

Those same little green or black bugs that can destroy a bouquet of flowers can infiltrate your frozen veggies, particularly spinach, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. And if you home-brew beer, you might consider growing your own hops: The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops.

Mites

These tiny white bugs are common in wheat and other grains that have been stored for a while, but expect to eat a few with your frozen vegetables. If you have indoor allergies, that could be a problem, because storage and grain mites can cause the same type of allergic reaction as the dust mites common in homes.

Maggots

If you’ve ever eaten canned food, you’ve probably also eaten a maggot. These disgusting little critters abound in things like canned mushrooms, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and pizza sauces, as well as fresh, frozen, or Maraschino cherries. Mushrooms are by far the worst: 20 maggots are allowed for every 100 grams of drained mushroom and five for every 500 grams of tomato products.

Fruit Flies

Buy a piece of fruit covered in fruit flies and you can wash them off. Buy a can of citrus juice and you’ll be swilling five fruit flies with every eight-ounce cup of juice. Grab an eight-ounce handful of raisins and you could be eating as many as 35 fruit-fly eggs.

Corn Ear Worms

Corn is notoriously difficult to grow organically being that it’s so prone to insect infestations. But in most cases, it’s easy to avoid eating the earworms that burrow into corncobs and eat the silk—just cut the kernels off the cob and voilà, bug-free veggies. However, canned sweet corn will come with some extra crunch from all the larvae, skins, and skin fragments allowed by the FDA.

Cowpea Curculio

Love black-eyed peas? Buy them dried and cook them yourself rather than buying them frozen or canned. A can of black-eyed peas, cowpeas, or field peas may contain an average of five or more cowpea curculio larvae, which will grow into dark brown, beetle-like weevils that infest all manner of peas and beans.

Caterpillars

Fuzzy, ugly caterpillars are supposed to turn into beautiful butterflies for people to marvel at—not eat in a mouthful of frozen spinach. But along with the 50 or so aphids, mites, and thrips allowed in 100 grams of spinach, you may also find yourself munching on caterpillar larvae and larval fragments.

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/we...eating/slide/8