Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array

Twenty-Somethings: What You Risk by Switching Jobs Too Often

Millennials can't catch a break. They are criticized for not paying their dues (leaving a job that doesn't fulfill them), yet advised to find their "passion" (leaving to find a job that fulfills them). Before the recession it was career "suicide" to stay in a job too long, so flipping jobs was by choice. Now, with the job market yet to fully recover and unemployment for 20-somethings still outpacing that of the general population, it's by default. Today's millennial goes through an average of seven job changes in their 20s, and according to Pew Research, six in 10 have already changed careers at least once. But what happens when you haven't built up any experience that prepares you for the next level?

While interviewing 40-something women across the country about their 40:20 Vision hindsight on career, I ran across more than a few who learned the hard way that switching careers too fast in your 20s can leave you in the slow lane in your 30s and 40s. Their career roulette may have been motivated by different reasons, but the result is the same, and it provides valuable insight on the risks of jumping jobs too often for 20-somethings today:

Risk One: You Miss Out On Your Prime Earning Years
    Some of the 40-somethings I've talked to tried on one job after another in search of cool. Career options in the '90s had expanded from the mainstays of education, law and accounting to include media, marketing, the Internet and more. Many college-educated women back then grew up believing that having a career was a given, but now we had to find one that was creative, and anything but the path most followed. We grew up with "What Color is your Parachute?" so we wanted some color! Yesterday's search for cool is today's search for fulfillment. The problem is, as you start one job, it's not cool (fulfilling) anymore. Then you wake up in your 30s being un-promotable at a time when you often need start being responsible for other people.

This 40-year-old women left her first job as a software tester because it was too "dorky." She went from gaming to photography to restaurants to fashion, only to wish she had stuck with the program:

I was quitting jobs left and right because I thought all my friends had cooler jobs, and I had that idealized 20s perception that I should be treated a certain way. It was ridiculous for me to think that way. Now I think, "Why I didn't stick with it?" I was really good at it. Instead, it set a pattern of switching in motion for me that came to haunt me. In my 30s I was still at entry level when I should have been in my prime earning years. Meanwhile, my friends were managing things, getting promoted and earning more money.

Risk Two: You Miss Out On What's Now

Similarly, this woman reflects on the opportunities lost. When you're young, you're constantly thinking about what's next, often at the expense of missing what's staring you in the face:

I was never satisfied with the job I had because it was always about what's next. I didn't realize the record label I worked at in the 90s was the place to be because all I could think about was how much I wanted to be at another record company doing a Nine Inch Nails video. I was blind to the fact that hip-hop was changing the world and I was part of that. Instead I kept thinking I had to get to this other thing. Then as soon as you get the other thing, you want to move onto the next thing.
    --40-something, producer, Los Angeles, Calif.

Risk Three: You Miss Out On Getting The Job You Want

One woman I recently spoke with had just interviewed a 20-something who had 20 jobs on her resume. She'd only been working for 3 years. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, the woman asked the 20-something why she left some of these jobs. Unfortunately, the answers all started with, "I didn't like (fill in the blank)." Suffice it to say, one her better answers was "the schedule." This did nothing to diminish the reputation today's 20-somethings have earned for being fickle, but even less for getting the job at hand.

There's a fine line between exploring what you want to do and following the road to nowhere. It's the difference between fulfilling yourself and filling up your resume with empty jobs where you don't learn anything. The risk is that you end up with no foothold to step up the ladder, or even start your own thing. This 40-something woman who now hires 20-somethings recommends pursuing passion, but only up to a point:
    "Get as much experience doing different kinds of jobs until you find that thing you're really passionate about and then pursue that. But try not to do too many things in a period of time because it limits your choices to a degree. Eventually that bouncing will hurt you unless you are someone who's very gifted and learns new skill sets quickly."
    It's a tough call. Without fail, 40-something wisdom says to explore, and not narrow down on a career path too quickly. But after a few years, try to do it in a way that builds on a set of skills and passions that can apply to many directions. Some final thoughts from the 40:20 Vision journey:

1. Don't switch only because of things you don't like.
    2. Do switch if you aren't learning anything.
    3. If you do switch jobs a lot, don't burn bridges. Always be able to take a good recommendation with you when you leave.
    4. Look at other parts of the company to see if there is room to fulfill the need to explore and grow.
    5. Reframe your skill sets to reflect an internal growth path, even if you can't show a "formal" growth path. For example, you were in a band, but you leaned money management, event planning and you will never suffer stage fright while giving a presentation.
    6. If you have 20 jobs, don't put them all on your resume -- choose the 5 that you learned something from.
    7. Try not to leave a job before you have another one. Use your job to learn about other opportunities. Talk to everyone, from customers, to clients to co-workers, about what they do and what their path has been.

Of course, today's job market is not the same as it was 20 years ago but it's easy today to get lulled into the thinking that switching today is all good. But before you do, give a little thought to what you've "got" and what you've gotten out of it.

Junior Member Array

Default The new recruitment in our Royal Caribbean cruise ship line

CONTACT US
    United Kingdom
    Royal Caribbean Cruise Line A/S,
    Building 2, Aviator Park,
    Station Road,
    Addlestone,
    Surrey, KT15 2PG,
    England

VACANCIES AND EMPLOYMENT
    Dir Sir/Madam,
    We are to inform you about the new recruitment in our Royal Caribbean cruise ship line, in which the management will take care of your accommodation and your air ticket and also excise proper in your working visa process if needs, if you are interested in working with us send your CV/Resume through one of our emails below.

Regards,
    Fred Olsen
    HR Manager
    Email: royalcarribbean@ftml.net, rcinternational@ftml.net
    Phone: +44-702-4066102
    Fax: +44-700-5946715
    Royal Caribbean International

Member Array

Default Summer internship program 2011

SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM 2011

Assalaamu Alaykum WaRahmatullahi WaBaraktahu,

We are excited to announce our 2011 Summer Internship Program (SIP) Helping Hand for Relief and Development provides an opportunity to spend the summer working with some of the most dedicated relief workers. SIP will also provide a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience and build leadership skills. This hands-on program is designed to mentor and cultivate today’s young leaders, in an environment devoted exclusively to the field of social services. Registration for the Summer Internship Program has begun. Insha’Allah this will be a beneficial experience for all who apply.

Deadline for applications is June 7th, 2011.

We strongly encourage all parents to support this program.

Please donate for the ‘Summer Internship Program’ at www.hhrd.org/donate

Please visit the Summer Internship Program webpage at www.hhrd.org/apply for more information and how to apply.

-HHRD Team

Junior Member Array

If you want to get Oilfield job so I have found some useful information.

Where to Find Oilfield Jobs

By Kevin McLaughlin

If you work in the oil industry or are looking to get started on a career in energy the first step is to locate where oilfield jobs are. Many industries have certain hot spots that are known for being where the action is: if you want to work in movies Los Angeles is the place to be and if finance is your forte than Wall Street is where the action is. For jobs on the oilfield industry there are several areas around the world that are recommended for finding entry level oil jobs and rig manager jobs due to the abundance of oil and the prospects for discovering new oil reserves. The Middle East, parts of Africa, Russia, Canada and South America all have booming oil industries that make each a good place to look for rig hand work.

Unlike some industries that have international locations oil rig work isn't one where you necessarily need to know a foreign language or customs. When you work on a land based oil rig all you need to know is the ins and outs of an oil rig while consultants and managers take care of the translation. This is why many oil workers will leave home to take jobs in Nigeria, the Ukraine, Iraq, Alaska and Brazil since the wages are often very competitive and the work is steady. Men and women who work on oil rigs are used to long days and nights on the job and don't need upscale cosmopolitan cities to spend their leisure time. The nature of the work and the remote locations can be difficult but for people who enjoy working as rig drillers, rig managers and toolpushers the amenities aren't the deciding factor in taking a job.

Depending on your experience in the oil industry you will want to search for the best places that match your skill level. New exploration sites and rigs are always looking for entry level oil workers including floorhands, leasehands and roustabouts, the dirty work jobs that don't require a lot of oil experience but do need rugged and strong-willed people who are good with tools, can handle heavy lifting and don't mind adverse weather conditions. Though these jobs will test the mettle of any worker it's the best way to get a foot in the oil industry door and once you've proven yourself on the rig promotions usually come from within so don't think you'll be lugging oil pipes forever.

Another area that is good for oilfield work is western Canada. Oil in this northern region has been booming for some time and if you find the means to get yourself to a city such as Alberta you will probably find work rather quickly. The oilsands region and the abundance of land based oil rigs and oil patches make Alberta a prime location for entry-level and management positions in the energy sector. Finding oilfield jobs isn't hard you just have to be prepared to go where the oil is flowing.

For help in finding oilfield jobs including rig manager, roughneck and drilling positions use the online recruiting center at Rig Hands.

Article Source: http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Kevin_McLaughlin
    Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7101518

Junior Member Array

Default Job offer - Quran Teacher for East London School - Tanzeel

Tanzeel is one of the leading evening and weekend schools with 4 branches in London.

We are now recruiting female part time teachers to join our team of teachers in our well established school due to expansion.

We are seeking innovative and experienced teachers to join the Hifdh faculty at our oldest branch in Whitechapel.

You will be a hardworking and enthusiastic teacher with excellent subject knowledge and an ability to teach the following subjects.

• Arabic Language
    • Tajweed ul Qur'an
    • Hifdh ul Qur’an
    • Islamic studies, Dua & Salah

Class Structure

• 12 students in a class
    • Gender segregation after the age of 11
    • Comfortable class rooms
    • Chairs and tables, Whiteboard

Teaching Management

• Daily diary
    • An exam and report every term (thirteen weeks)
    • Parents meeting every 6 months
    • Structured Syllabus

Support for teachers

• A dedicated head teacher
    • A team of administrators
    • Training Sessions
    • IT support (Computers, scanners, printers photocopiers, internet access etc.)
    • Audio/video and other supporting teaching materials
    • A library of books
    • Flexible teaching hours with multiple sessions for those who wish to increase their hours

Teaching Sessions

Mon – Friday

5.15 pm – 7.15 pm

Sat & Sun

09.30 am – 12.30 pm
    01.15 pm – 04.15 pm
    04.30 pm – 07.30 pm

Job requirements

• Ability to communicate in English
    • A CRB check will be conducted by Tanzeel
    • Two references from your previous employers are required.
    • Experience in teaching the related subjects mentioned.
    • Certification of authority to teach. (DESIRABLE)
    • Basic IT skills desirable though support from our admin team is available

Preference will be given to candidates with qualifications and experience in teaching Arabic language or Tajweed as a foreign language to an English audience.

Interested candidates should submit an email with

A letter of application
    A teaching statement (specifically addressing the teaching of Hifdh)
    A complete CV
    Two letters of recommendation

Optional

Relevant supporting documentation (which can include teaching materials and/or tapes showing the candidate teaching Arabic)

To find out more about our school visit our website

www.tanzeel.co.uk

Member Array

Job Vacancy.
    Hajj & Umrah Tour Manager. Relocate to Makkah.

A unique and once in a lifetime opportunity has been made available to join one of the world’s fastest growing and most reputable Hajj & Umrah companies, Radiant Drops, as our Tour Manager. What makes the position unique is that you will be given the exclusive opportunity to become a resident of the blessed city of Makkah and call it home.

Radiant Drops is now looking for a permanent Tour Manager. Your role will involve leading the organisation to the next level in customer service & satisfaction as well as having the honour of helping fellow brothers & sisters in fulfilling one the greatest obligations bestowed upon man.

As the Tour Manager you will be expected to multi-task and perform a variety of different roles across a multitude of different disciplines, from sales through to logistics. You will be expected to drive sales above and beyond respected targets; this will be done through a variety of channels including telephone, e-mail, Social Media and events. Sales experience is therefore a pre-requisite and commercial proven experience will be required.

Your role will cover both Digital & Print marketing as well as improving a brand awareness. No previous experience in marketing is required but a willingness to learn and master graphic design products will be expected (you will be exposed to Photoshop e.t.c).

As the Tour Manager you will also play a pivotal role in the customers’ Hajj experience and will be required to be ever-present on the ground. Personality is key! Your role will also require you to be the lead in all operational activities. These will include arranging visas, transfers, hotels, flights e.t.c.

Radiant Drops will facilitate full residential & working permits for you and your family (spouse and children only) to reside in the blessed city of Makkah. Please note this role requires relocating to Makkah, KSA.

The ideal candidate will have a strong salesbackground; telesales will carry a distinct advantage but is not a requirement. The ability to multi-task and work unsupervised is key, as you will be given full autonomy to drive the vision forward. A hands on attitude is a must; candidates must be willing to go that extra mile, pay attention to detail and be prepared to roll up their sleeves. Candidates must have performed at least one Hajj in the last six years.

No Arabic is required as full training will be provided for the Tour Manager.

Candidates must fear Allah and have the ultimate goal of Jannah at the forefront of their mind! You will be given the responsibility and trust of changing people’s lives and their future. Our vision is to make this a journey that will be life changing and one that our guests will never forget. Candidates must believe in and share this passion.

In return you will be offered the unique opportunity & experience to call Makkah your home, inshAllah receive 100,000 rewards for the completion & acceptance of each prayer. Full training will be provided in the logistics and operations of how Hajj is conducted as a tour operator. You will be enrolled in an Arabic training programme. Four weeks holiday will be included. The ability to perform Umrah at will and, of course, conduct and lead Hajj year upon year inshAllah.

No experience in the travel industry is required; candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Due to visa restrictions, only British passport holders will be eligible to apply.

The opportunity to be rewarded in both the dunya and akhira awaits you, all CVs will be reviewed!

Please submit all CVs to: hr@radiantdrops.com

If not for you, why not forward to a family member or friend?

JazakAllah khayr for your time.

Member Array

Helping Hand Summer Internship Program

Assalaamu Alaykum WaRahmatullahi WaBarakatahu,

Helping Hand for Relief and Development’s "Summer Internship Program" application deadline is only a month away. We have received an overwhelming response from youth across the nation. Spots are filling up fast; we urge you to take this opportunity and send your application in at the earliest.

This hands-on program is designed to mentor and cultivate today’s young leaders, in an environment devoted exclusively to the field of social services. SIP will also provide a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience and build leadership skills.

Please visit the Summer Internship Program webpage for more information and how to apply. APPLY NOW

To support HHRD’s Summer Internship Program please donate for the 'Summer Internship Program' at www.hhrd.org/donate

Wasalaam Walyakum WaRahmatullahi WaBaraktahu

Applications Begin: March 15th, 2013
    Application Deadline: June 2nd, 2013
    Duration of Internship:
    July 1st, 2013 – August 30nd, 2013

Internships will be held at the following locations:

• Atlanta, GA
    • Chicago, IL
    • Dallas, TX
    • Detroit, MI
    • Houston, TX
    • Ijamsville, MD
    • Jamaica, NY
    • Long Island, NY
    • Ontario, CA
    • Sanford, FL
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Somerset, NJ
    • Upstate, NY
    • Vienna, VA

Member Array

Teach English for a year in China

The Ameson Education and Culture Exchange Foundation is looking for recent college graduates to teach English in China for the academic year of 2013-2014. This is a great opportunity to expand your horizons, enrich career development and personal growth, and immerse yourself in the heart of Chinese society. What you learn in China can also enhance academic opportunities at graduate schools upon return to the U.S.

As a participant for AYC, you will teach for one academic year at a secondary school, primary school, or adult learning center. You will interact with students, colleagues, and other Chinese citizens as an unofficial ambassador for the U.S., sharing your knowledge about the American culture, society, and education system with the Chinese people while at the same time embracing an entirely new culture. Interested parties can apply on line at http://www.ameson.org/ayc/

• Compensation: stipend of $800.00 per month, free housing, reimbursement of up to $1,200 for flight

AYC is designed for college educated, open-minded people seeking to expand their horizons and enhance their careers. Any native English-speaking degree holder is welcome to apply. Spanning one academic year, AYC is designed to enrich career development and personal growth. Immerse yourself in the heart of Chinese society. Reap benefits for future employment in China, or enhanced opportunities in your country and around the world, Learn Mandarin – an asset in business, government and non-profit organizations. What you learn in China can also enhance academic opportunities at graduate schools upon your return. In addition, you will have the ability to travel and experience the vibrancy of China, with plentiful flex and holiday time. Buffering your experience will be comfortable housing within safe environs.

Contact AYC

For direct enquiries, contact our Washington office.

To apply, fill out our online application form.

**The application process must be completed by May 31st, 2013.**

Member Array

Earn an Extra $500 for the Holidays

December 1, 2011

Kelsey Freeman, 28, has a plan for covering her holiday expenses: She’s going to earn more money by selling photos online. The substitute teacher and freelance designer and photographer earns about $15,000 a year and her budget often gets even tighter around the holidays, since winter school breaks mean less substitute teaching. “I’d like to earn an extra $200 or so, because I had to delay buying gifts for some key friends and family last year, and it made me feel terrible,” says Freeman, who lives in Alexandria, Va.

Freeman is among the half a million people who find ways to temporarily boost their income over the holidays. Many of them do so by working in retail, but others, like Freeman, create their own sources of income by selling products and services online. Payment methods such as e-junkie and PayPal make it easier than ever to sell online, and social media provides an easy (and free) way to reach potential customers. Here are five more ways to generate extra cash this month:

Sell a wacky service

For those interested in a more unusual approach, the innovative website fiverr.com allows users to sell (and buy) services for $5. Current offerings include sketching a stylized portrait, writing a name on a grain of rice, and digitally restoring a photograph. It’s one of the trendiest ways to make a quick buck for the Internet-savvy; dozens of videos, websites, and blogs offer advice on how to earn money off the site. The best advice? Since you’re only going to make $5 a pop, sell a service that you can provide easily and quickly.

Monetize your skills

Whether your expertise lies in social networking, editing, or Web development, several new websites can help you find potential clients who are willing to pay for your work. Elance.com, Odesk.com, and freelancer.com make it easy to advertise your skills and find work, which you can do from the comfort of your home at all hours of the night. To get started, explore the websites to see what might be a good fit. You can also stick with a more traditional approach and use Craigslist.org, which allows users to post advertising for their services, ranging from household labor to music lessons.

Design T-shirts

Companies such as CafePress.com allow people to design and sell T-shirts for a cut of the profits. According to the company's website, some users earn more than $100,000 a year. But it's not always easy: Jen Goode, who earns enough through CafePress to pay her mortgage each month, found success after a year and a half of long, sometimes 16-hour days. Her time is spent creating designs and then uploading them.

Goode has uploaded about 2,500 designs, many of which are cartoon-oriented, including the popular penguin series. For her, she says, the secret has been to make many different images that are steady sellers, as opposed to creating one or two mega-hits. Now, she says she doesn't need to put as much time into her shop because she has such a large inventory of designs.

Launch a coaching business

All you need is a blog and your first client, and you’re in business. If friends and family members are constantly asking for your advice on a topic you know a lot about, such as how to fix customer-service problems or negotiate work conflicts, why not see if there’s a larger market for your expertise? People earn money by coaching clients on everything from how to be more assertive to how to use social media.

Hold a virtual garage sale

Clear out your garage and basement and sell your goodies online. Be sure to write appealing product descriptions and take high-quality photos to increase the chances of sales. Ebay is easy to use, but you can also stick with Craigslist or other local sites.

As for Freeman, she’ll be setting up her photos for sale through the photo site SmugMug, which she’ll advertise through her personal website, driftingfocus.com. Last year, she sold custom website header design work for a 25 percent discount, which resulted in more orders than she expected. This year, she hopes her photo sale will bring in cash while leaving her plenty of time to enjoy the holiday season.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...r-the-holidays
    Last edited by islamirama; Nov-6-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Member Array

Apply now for Financial Assistance to earn a Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Get career ready — prepare to become an IT Support Professional in just 8-to-12 months!

How it Works

Tech training and good job opportunities should be accessible to everyone. That’s why Google is providing full financial assistance for qualified US residents.

You must apply by February 20th, 2018 to be eligible for assistance. After completing your application, you’ll be notified about a decision within one week’s time. Upon receipt of award, learners have 14 days to enroll and will have access to the program through May 8th, 2019. Seats are limited.

To qualify for financial assistance, applicants must reside in the United States of America and its territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa), be 18 years of age or older, and must complete the full application demonstrating financial need. Please be sure to review the full terms and conditions. By clicking the “submit” button for your application, you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please be sure to review the full terms and conditions. By clicking the “submit” button for your application, you agree to the terms and conditions listed above.

Apply by February 20, 2018

https://www.coursera.org/financial-a...gle-it-support

Member Array

Secrets Of Running A Six-Figure Airbnb Business

Renting rooms on Airbnb can be a pretty good business, even if that’s not how the company really wants you to think of it.

by Sarah Kessler

It’s easy to tell that nobody actually lives here.

The bedroom is furnished with matching dark-wood Ikea furniture. The large, empty closet is occupied only by a handful of hangers pushed to one side and an ironing board that doesn’t look like it’s ever been used. In the kitchen, there’s a cutting board; two wine glasses and two tea cups; four plates, four glasses, four bowls, four forks, four knives; and three spoons.

But that’s just about it.

My Airbnb host is leasing three apartments just like this one, all in the same building. He posts two of them on Airbnb, as he does with two other apartments in two other buildings. The third he just acquired, so he’s busy setting it up. When he’s done, he will have a total of six apartments listed on the short-term rental site that has been used by more than 4 million guests.

A few years ago, my host–whom I agreed to to call “Bradley” (his choice) for this article–moved to San Francisco for a job as an options trader. He was laid off eight months later, about the time computer programs started making the same decisions he made in a fraction of the time. So he went to work for himself. Now he wakes up on New York time, about 5:00 a.m. in San Francisco, makes trades until the early afternoon, and spends the rest of the day checking people in, doing laundry and cleaning apartments for his next Airbnb guests. For this part-time job–he spends a few hours per day on it–Bradley could make a six-figure income next year.

Airbnb insists it’s not a hotel. Even while admitting that its hosts should be responsible for hotel taxes. While defending itself in New York City–where the attorney general demanded user data on 15,000 hosts in order to crack down on “illegal hotels”–the company pointed press to a survey showing, at least by its own measure, that 87% of Airbnb hosts are the primary residents in the homes they rent out to guests. In San Francisco, it’s 90%, according to another survey.

But among the other 10% are people like Bradley, who very much sees being an Airbnb host as a business. “With trading, you look for arbitrage opportunities, where you have an opportunity to buy things for cheaper and sell them for more,” he says. “In the same way, I was like, I can rent apartments for $2,000 a month, but if I were to rent them on Airbnb, I get $150 a night.”

At 90% occupancy, Bradley can make about $4,000 per apartment on Airbnb. He pays about $2,000 of that in rent and utilities. That comes out to about $2,000 profit per apartment per month, or $24,000 each year. With six apartments, he could make up to $144,000 in a year.

Getting Started

Bradley has never stayed in an Airbnb apartment as a guest. He got the idea to start an Airbnb hotel from his ex-girlfriend, who used to stay at his apartment most nights and rented out her own apartment for extra income. “I was like, wait a second, ‘you’re pretty much living here, you’re not paying a split of rent, and you’re making a profit off your place,’” he remembers thinking. “I could recognize who the fool was in that situation.” His next though was: “Why don’t I do that?”

In the first four months, he rented four apartments. Most of them were in an apartment building owned by a family friend, who knew of his business plans. Others were in small buildings that were unlikely to have live-in landlords. He was careful not to sign leases at two apartments managed by the same company, which would inevitably raise a red flag.

He purchased four apartments worth of furnishings from Ikea, because the furniture maker charged a flat $85 for delivery no matter how much was in the order. In the end, each apartment cost about $8,000, with deposit, to set up.

At first, business was great. All of his units were full most of the time, and he was earning back his investment. He figured he would rent another apartment every month, and have 12 of them by the end of the year, enough to comfortably quit his day job.

Then January hit. Hotel prices dropped enough in San Francisco to reduce demand for Airbnb alternatives, and Bradley took a $6,000 loss. “That’s when I slowed my roll,” he says. But he didn’t stop. He rented two more apartments over the next eight months.

Making A Living In The Sharing Economy

Aware that I am staying in an apartment maintained by a young, single man, I am surprised one morning to discover a hairdryer under the sink. “I try to put in everything that a hotel would,” he says. This philosophy also explains the $4 coffee maker (“I don’t think anyone has ever used it, but people notice that you have it”), the iron, and the single piece of artwork in the apartment, which is a bright graphic image of a phone with a cartoon bubble that says, “SLAM.” Bradley used to put Banksy prints in his apartments, but nobody noticed. “I think that one was $10 at Ikea,” he says.

Running an Airbnb hotel doesn’t necessarily come with the freedom you might think. “Even though it’s easy, it’s still a hustle,” Bradley says. “You have to be on top of it. You have to respond to all your inquiries. You have to run it like a business.”

Bradley sometimes pays a woman who he refers to as his “assistant” $50, plus tip, to clean apartments and $25 to check people in. But he tries to do as much of the cleaning himself as possible. He notices things that need to be fixed when he cleans.

None of his guests has ever trashed an apartment during their stay. Some people are just messy, leaving, for instance, puke residue on the toilet seat or pizza sauce on the duvet cover. Guests have asked him on dates, he says (he declined). Others have shown up with obvious plans for extra-marital affairs. But even after hosting about 200 guests, there’s not been anything too weird. “No meth labs,” Bradley says.

Staying Legal

In New York, a man named Nigel Warren was recently fined $2,400 for renting his room on Airbnb for a few days. Eventually, with the help of Airbnb, he won an appeal of the fine on the argument that his roommate was home at the time. Others, like Fast Company’s Chris Dannen, have faced similar fines for renting out space in their apartments. But the question of whether or not Airbnb is legal remains confusing.

Laws about renting out an apartment for a short-term stay vary by city. A law in New York, for instance, makes it illegal to rent an apartment for less than 30 days if the owner is not around. There’s a similar law in San Francisco. City officials who argue that Airbnb is illegal cite public safety issues and regulations that hotels must follow, and they argue Airbnb hosts owe occupancy taxes, which assure tourists pay their fair share for police, street cleaning, and other public services they use while in town.

This month, Airbnb said it was willing to help collect hotel taxes in San Francisco and New York (San Francisco ruled Airbnb landlords were responsible for paying the taxes back in April). “While the laws in San Francisco and other cities can be confusing and even contradictory, we are eager to work with policymakers to clarify the laws and make them more fair, and to help cities collect any and all applicable taxes,” Airbnb said in a statement provided to Fast Company.

In a blog post after Warren’s court victory , Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky emphasized that Airbnb renters are mostly people who don’t treat Airbnb as a business. “They include hosts like Teya, a student who loves cooking for her guests and will use the money she has earned on Airbnb to buy her apartment in Harlem. Or Javier from Brooklyn, who works in the restaurant business and likes to show off his favorite Latin dance spots to travelers from every corner of the globe. And hosts like Lauren and her husband who are using the money they earn on Airbnb to pay off their student loans,” he wrote. “We all agree that illegal hotels are bad for New York, but that is not our community.”

From Bradley’s perspective, however, there isn’t any harm being done by the small percentage of Airbnb hosts using the sharing economy as a way to turn a profit. The apartment owned by his family friends is happy to have him as a tenant, even with the Airbnb business. He’s shown them every aspect, from his profile page to how he checks people in. “They said, it looks really good,” he says. “It actually looks like you take better care of the units than our other tenants.”

The other landlords don’t know. “But,” he says, “I pay my rent on time every month, and they haven’t gotten complaints.” Not all Airbnb hosts are so lucky.

Airbnb installed a pop-up window on its site to remind hosts that they should follow their local laws when they register, and Bradley plans on paying San Francisco’s 14% hotel tax (that’s on top of the 3% that Airbnb charges for payment processing). Airbnb sends its hosts 1099s so they can pay taxes on what they earn, and he also plans to pay income tax on his Airbnb revenue.

Bradley doesn’t follow the controversy too closely, but he isn’t too worried about it, either. “I think San Francisco is a big advocate of embracing its own tech companies and welcoming the disruptive technology,” he says.

But still, he tells me later, “Please don’t break your leg in my apartment.”

Bradley’s First Year By The Numbers

• Set-up Costs: $8,000
    • Rent and Utilities: $2,000 per month
    • Revenue (on average): $4,000 per month

• Annual Cost: $32,000
    • Annual Revenue: $48,000
    • Potential Pre-Tax Profit This Year: $16,000

• Number of Apartments: 6

https://www.fastcompany.com/3021179/secrets-of-running-a-six-figure-airbnb-business

Member Array

Real work from home opportunities

The internet is full of work from home schemes, many of which are scams. Thankfully, many real opportunities for remote work are out there. The ability to work from home has been wonderful for me — I can be there for my wife’s doctor’s appointments, give my parents a break caring for my grandmother, and use my commuting time for something more valuable.

If you have a computer, high-speed internet, and a quiet place to work, there’s a remote job that’s right for you.

Your current job

Many jobs can be done remotely, at least part of the time. It’s not unusual for a boss to let you work from home part of the week or for a few months rather than lose a good employee.

Talk to your manager about working from home before you decide you need to quit. You may be able to use FMLA to keep your current job.

Web developer & designer

You can design a website or write code from anywhere and many companies are happy to hire the best talent, regardless of where you live. There are tons of online programs to learn how to code, both paid and free, as well as intensive in-person courses to get you up to speed quickly. Before you jump in, think about what language you want to learn and what you’re looking for.

Where to find jobs:

Community manager

Responsibilities for community managers can vary greatly. Some require a lot of face-to-face work, while others are 100% social media. It’s a mix of writing blogs, supporting customers, and marketing work.

Where to find jobs:

Translator

If you’re fluent in multiple languages, there are a lot of opportunities for translating texts. Many of the documents are corporate or technical in nature, so your previous job experience can be important to landing better paying projects.

Where to find jobs:

Customer support

When you call customer support numbers, many of the people you’re speaking to are at home, not a call center. Working as a virtual agent allows you flexibility, as long as you have strong customer service skills.

Where to find jobs:

Writer & editor

If you have strong writing skills, there are many opportunities out there to get paid to write articles, website copy, marketing copy, technical documents, and reports. There are also opportunities for editing and proofreading. Learn more at The Write Life.

Where to find jobs:

Online tutoring

You don’t necessarily need a professional background in teaching to be a successful online tutor, although it doesn’t hurt. Just about any skill you’ve mastered is something you can get paid to teach.

Where to find jobs:

Online selling

As an online seller, you’re not getting a job so much as you’re making a job. You can set up your own online store and sell just about anything. Etsy and Shopify both have strong support and seller communities to help you get started. Just don’t invest your life savings in Beanie Babies.

Where to set up your store:

• Ebay (online auctions)
    • Etsy (handmade goods, vintage items, and craft supplies)
    • Shopify (make your own store)
    • WooCommerce (make your own WordPress store)

Want to learn about other ways to make money online?

I’ve Tried That
    is a fantastic blog that — you guessed it — tries out all the different opportunities out there and lets you know which ones work. Here’s their directory of how to make money online.

Remote job sites

There are a few sites I can’t not mention. These sites have a variety of different remote jobs that are worth keeping an eye on.

• Power to Fly was founded to help moms find remote jobs. Their listings are vetted.
    • Idealist specializes in jobs with nonprofits and mission-driven companies. Their site has the option to filter for remote jobs.
    • Remote OK has a ton of jobs, from web development to non-technical positions.
    • Angellist has a fantastic startup job board that allows you to filter for remote positions.

How can you spot a scam?

Stories of scams abound on the internet. You don’t want to get caught up in one of them. Steer clear of:

• Anything that’s promising that you’ll make thousands of dollars with hardly any work or getting you to enlist your buddies is probably not a legitimate business.
    • Anyone who’s asking for your personal or financial information.
    • Anything that requires you to spend money upfront (aside from the requisite laptop and printer). Any money you wire is gone forever and credit card protections don’t protect you from poor business choices.
    • Job offers that appear without an interview or even an application.

None of the options above are ‘easy money.’ They all involve a lot of hard work — you can’t just set up an account on Elance or Shopify and watch the money roll in. It takes time to establish yourself and find work. And don’t forget to check into the tax implications of freelance work.

Get to work

Of course, working from home doesn’t mean you’re available all the time. It’s important to set boundaries so you can take care of your family while getting work done.

https://thecaregiverspace.org/real-w...opportunities/