Welcome to the Net Muslims Forums.
    Member Array

Default Internet Guidelines

"BEWARE: Another Anti-Islam Site" Please Forward to Everyone You Know!

By Yusuf Estes

Sending out a letter to "everyone on your list" is actually the wrong thing to do? - Why?

Good Question.

The warning emails are coming into our mail boxes day after day. "Beware! Another Anti Islam Website!" - "Tell All the Muslims!" - "Go to This Site - They Are Jews!" A link is always provided and it is 'hot' and ready to go for ease of checking it out. Then they ask you to "tell everyone on your list."

Typical of our condition today. We mean well. No doubt. But even with all the sincerity in the world it does not excuse us from being a part of this crime against Islam and against Allah. May Allah save us and forgive us, ameen.

This whole thing is wrong. It provides misguidance for all who visit and wastes the time of our scholars and teachers.

The senders do not realize that they are really helping these sites that they want to destroy.

The interent is not like the other types of information sources like books, TV and radio. When we warn other people to avoid these things usually they do not do it. But in the case of websites, the very first thing everyone does is go to the site to "check it out."

They do not realize that this is what the site developers are using to keep on going. The more you visit a site the more that the search engines will find it the next time. Also the counters on these sites can be hidden and you would not know that they are tracking information about the visitors; who comes to visit, the time of day, the type of browser used, the country or time zone that it originated in. These can be valuable pieces of information to the enemies of Islam. And we are walking right into their traps. So Muslims are helping the enemy of Islam by visiting and encouraging others to do the same. This has produced millions of 'hits' for these sites.

The best thing is to forget about these sites. If think about this it is only common sense. You don't want someone to go to a website, then just do not tell anyone. Instead you should be promoting the good websites and showing the truth of Islam.

Building websites is easy. But getting traffic to the site is hard. If no one comes then the site dies. They will close down after a while and then even possibly give up.

But when we are out there doing all the publicity work for them, they are so happy. Sometimes they even pretend to be Muslims warning the Muslims. Oh yeah.

Why?

Good question.

Think about the billions of dollars that they spend in foriegn countries and sending missionaries out there to try to confuse and convert the Muslims. How about the fact that we have done more damage to ourselves with the internet in the last 5 years than they have with all their missionaries and propaganda in the last 50 years?

These little known sites are only promoted by the visitors and forwarders of the warnings - the Muslims themselves.

We must stop this.

Warn the Muslims now. Tell them to stop forwarding the links to websites that attack Islam. All they are doing is running the risk that the new Muslims or those who are not well educated in Islam will become confused and could even leave Islam. I have already seen several cases that we have tried to help. Al Hamdililah. Some of them became better Muslims afterwards. But what about the others?

Do you want the responsibility of taking people OUT OF ISLAM on your book of records?

Of course not.

Next time you get an email about "Anti Islam Site" - drop it. DELETE it. Now.

If you write back, send this letter or a version of it. Do not even include the original message to them and do not include any websites other than those that are strong promoters of Islam, like TodayIslam.com, Islaam.com, Islamway.com, Islamworld.net, Islamguide.com, Islamonline.com, IBN.net, and so on.

Many anti-Islam websites have come up and died because no one ever visited them. The ones that get 'hits' stay on line.

Sometimes Muslims have even purchased these sites from the enemies of Islam, to shut them down. That's great right? We pay them money so they can go build another one and then send out letters to us to warn each other.

We must use our energy and time wisely. We must promote good Islam sites. We must not promote the evil.

Now it is time for you to send this to 'EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST.'

Member Array

Default Muslims over the Internet Guidelines

Muslims over the Internet Guidelines

There are many interactive forums on the Internet, including chat sites and online communities. We need to address the critical question of how Muslim men and women should conduct themselves when they come into contact with one another while participating in these forums.

The following guidelines should be observed by Muslim men and women when interacting with one another on the Internet:

1. Never display photographs under any circumstances.

To start with, photographs are simply not necessary. The written word is more than sufficient. We must also appreciate how photographs can become a great opportunity for Satan to tempt people and make their foul deeds seem fair to them.

Some people might consider such caution misplaced. However, those who understand how people are seduced and tempted and who have experience in dealing with these problems, know that nothing is far-fetched. Moreover, some people who have a sickness in their hearts manage to deceive themselves and others that something which is completely wrong is instead something that is good and that is motivated by the sincerest and noblest intentions.

2. Use typing and avoid audible means of communication.

If, for some reason, using audible media becomes necessary, then we must adhere to Allah's command: “Be not too complaisant of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire; but speak a speech that is just.” [ Surah al-Ahzab : 32]

3. Maintain a serious tone and focus in conversation.

We must not get involved in talking at length about things that are unnecessary and unjustified. In truth, many people get a thrill out of merely speaking with the opposite sex, regardless of what the subject might be. Some men just like to hear a pretty voice. Likewise, since women are indeed the full sisters of men, they also find pleasure in speaking with men.

Our tone should be serious. We should avoid all that is superfluous and frivolous.

4. Remain vigilant at all times.

Those who we meet on the Internet are, for the most part, apparitions. Men come online posturing as women and women often misrepresents themselves as men. Then, there are so many things we do not know about the other person. What is his ideology? What is his background? What country is he from? What is his line of work? What are his real intentions? All of these things are unknown.

Many young women are quick to believe what others tell them and are very susceptible to sweet words. Such people are easy victims for the predator who lays out his trap. One moment, he is a sincere advisor, another the victim crying out for someone to save him, then he is the lonely man looking for someone with whom to share the rest of his life, the next moment he is the sick man looking for a cure…

5. Muslim women who work with the Internet should keep in close contact with one another.

They need to develop strong channels of communication so they can lend a degree of support to each other in this important and possibly dangerous field of endeavor. They need to cooperate closely and share their experiences and expertise. A person standing alone is weak, but standing with others she is strong.

Allah says: “By time! Surely the human being is at loss. Except for those who have faith and do righteous deeds and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to patience.” [ Surah al-Asr ]

I also advise our Muslim sisters to focus most of their attention and their efforts on calling other women to Islam and enjoining them to righteousness. Allah says: Invite all to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious.

Also, see attachment ...
    Attached Files

Member Array

General Guidelines for Internet Users

By Sheikh: Hamed Ibn Abdullah El Aly

First:

When a Muslim hears the call for prayer, he should rise up to the remembrance of Allah and not let anything take him away from answering that call. The Lord SWT said: In houses that Allah ordered to be built and His name to be mentioned in them mornings and nights, men who are not diverted by trade or selling from the Remembrance of Allah, pray, give alms, fear a day where hearts and eyesight’s are diverted in all directions. (24:36-37)

Second:

The Internet is a way for communication that is considered a double-edged weapon. When it provides benefit, it becomes a gift. And when it provides evil, it becomes a disgrace. Muslim should use the good side of this facility to serve his religion and life, rather than its evil side that corrupts his religion and life.

Third:

It’s very important for internet users to protect their eyes from falling on prohibited scenes. The prohibited scene is considered Satan’s arrow, his weapon that he uses to spoil the Muslims heart by offering immediate pleasure, followed by long lasting feelings of remorse and regret. Watching scenes that Allah prohibited causes darkness in the heart, gloominess in the chest and heaviness and reluctance to perform actions of worshiping Allah. It deprives the soul of enjoying the sweetness of deep faith. By all means it is a tool that Satan uses to sugar coat sins with, and the moment one falls in this trap, Satan takes complete control of his heart, and play with it like a young boy who plays with a ball. The end is always a fatal loss.

Fourth:

Don’t let the internet consume your effort and time for no value. That happens when you navigate between the various sites and online groups for long hours. You waste your precious lifetime hours. That time that you should devote for people like your family, parents, children and relatives, or for your job where you earn the living for you and your dependants.

Fifth:

Visit the Islamic Sites frequently. Visit the useful sites that add to your useful information, and widens up your scales of knowledge. Stay away from the sites that promote corruption to Belief or Morals, those groups that seek the spread of Fitnah or controversy, even if this is over religious issues. Bad controversy is of no avail. Don’t interfere in conversations with the enemies of Islam unless you have the necessary knowledge and power that enables you to handle this task. And if not, ask a scholar to handle it instead.

Sixth:

Take caution against the chatting sites. They are traps for males and females to drag them into a prohibited relationship, which often starts by an innocent introduction and end up in mere pain and causes damage to life and faith.

Seventh:

Its either you control or you get controlled by the trap of the internet. If you put it under your control, you take its benefit and shed away its harm. Hence Internet becomes a gift from Allah for your welfare. And if you fall under its control, it blurs your eyes with its glittering charm and temporary pleasures, steals your money, time, life and the duties your have towards your family and beloved ones. You become the prey without being aware of it. Save yourself from this trap before you are lost, and before it is too late.

Wasting time - halal tube

It's well worth the 30 minutes.

lecture by brother Nouman Ali Khan: http://www.halaltube.com/majesty-of-divine-speech-episode-18-wasting-time

Member Array

Who are you talking to online?

Everyone needs to read all of this and have children read it too!

After tossing her books into the lounge, she decided to grab a snack and get on-line. She logged on under her screen name ByAngel213. She checked her Buddy List and saw GoTo123 was on. She sent him an instant message:

ByAngel213: Hi.. I'm glad you are on! I thought someone was following me home today. It was really weird!

GoTo123: LOL You watch too much TV. Why would someone be following you? Don't you live in a safe neighborhood?

ByAngel213: Of course I do. LOL I guess it was my imagination cuz' I didn't see anybody when I looked out.

GoTo123: Unless you gave your name out on-line. You haven't done that have you?

ByAngel213: Of course not I'm not stupid you know.

GoTo123: Did you have a basketball game after school today?

ByAngel213: Yes and we won!!

GoTo123: That's great! Who did you play?

ByAngel213: We played the Hornets. LOL. Their uniforms are so gross! They look like bees. LOL

GoTo123: What is your team called?

ByAngel213: We are the Top Cats. We have tiger paws on our uniforms. They are really cool.

GoTo1 23: Did you score?

ByAngel213: No I play defence. I got to go. My homework has to be done before my parents get home. I don't want them mad at me.Bye!

GoTo123: Catch you later. Bye

Meanwhile.......GoTo123 went to the member menu and began to search for her profile. When it came up, he highlighted it and printed it out.

He took out a pen and began to write down what he knew about Angel so far.

Her name: Shannon Birthday: Jan. 3, 1985. Age: 13 State where she lived: New South Wales. Hobbies: basketball, chorus, skating and going to the shops. Besides this information, he knew she lived in Charlestown because she had just told him. He knew she stayed by herself until 6:30 p.m. Every afternoon until her parents came home from work. He knew she played basketball on Thursday afternoons on the school team, and the team was named the Top Cats. Her favorite number 7 was printed on her jersey. He knew she was in the eighth grade at the St Mary's High School . She had told him all this in the conversations they had on-line.

He had enough information to find her now.

Shannon didn't tell her parents about the incident on the way home from the park that day. She didn't want them to make a scene and stop her from walking home from the ball games. Parents were always overreacting and hers were the worst. It made her wish she was not an only child. Maybe if she had brothers and sisters, her parents wouldn't be so overprotective.

By Thursday, Shannon had forgotten about the footsteps following her.

Her game was in full swing when suddenly she felt someone staring at her. It was then that the memory came back. She glanced up from her position to see a man watching her closely.

He was leaning against the fence behind base and he smiled when she looked at him. He didn't look scary and she quickly dismissed the sudden fear she had felt.

After the game, he sat on a bench while she talked to the coach. She noticed his smile once again as she walked past him. He nodded and she smiled back. He noticed her name on the back of her shirt. He knew he had found her.

Quietly, he walked a safe distance behind her. It was only a few blocks to Shannon's home, and once he saw where she lived he quickly returned to the park to get his car.

Now he had to wait. He decided to get a bite to eat until the time came to go to Shannon 's house. He drove to a fast food restaurant and sat there until time to make his move.

Shannon was in her room later that evening when she heard voices in the living room.

'Shannon, come here,' her father called. He sounded upset and she couldn't imagine why. She went into the room to see the man from the park sitting on the lounge.

'Sit down,' her father began, 'this man has just told us a most interesting story about you.' Shannon sat back. How could he tell her parents anything? She had never seen him before today!

'Do you know who I am, Shannon?' the man asked.
    'No,' Shannon answered.

'I am a police officer and your online friend, GoTo123.'

Shannon was stunned. 'That's impossible! GoTo is a kid my age! He's 14. And he lives in Sydney !'

The man smiled. 'I know I told you all that, but it wasn't true. You see, Shannon , there are people on-line who pretend to be kids; I was one of them. But while others do it to injure kids and hurt them, I belong to a group of parents who do it to protect kids from predators. I came here to find you to teach you how dangerous it is to talk to people on-line. You told me enough about yourself to make it easy for me to find you. You named the school you went to, the name of your ball team and the position you played. The number and name on your jersey just made finding you a breeze.' Shannon was stunned.’ You mean you don't live in Sydney ?'

He laughed. 'No, I live in Taree. It made you feel safe to think I was so far away, didn't it?'

She nodded.

'I had a friend whose daughter was like you. Only she wasn't as lucky. The guy found her and murdered her while she was home alone. Kids are taught not to tell anyone when they are alone, yet they do it all the time on-line. The wrong people trick you into giving out information a little here and there on-line. Before you know it, you have told them enough for them to find you without even realizing you have done it. I hope you've learned a lesson from this and won't do it again. Tell others about this so they will be safe too?'

Note:

Not just chatting online via Messengers, but social websites like facebook, myspace, hi5, bebo, and others are not safe as well. Many people have things on there they wouldn't even tell their parents and yet they have it displayed there for the whole world. Predators are everywhere.

This was probably written back when chat messengers were popular and these social sites didn't exist. Now these social sites exist and are far worse than the messenger (unless your webcaming) since you can post your pictures, school name, and address online.

Member Array

Careful, lads, that laptop might burn your genes

By Sam Lister

Scientists have linked portable computers and male infertility

BUSINESSMEN and teenage boys could be risking their fertility by using laptop computers, research suggests.

The combination of heat generated by the computers and the posture needed to balance the equipment on the lap leads to raised temperatures around the scrotum, a study has found. Past research shows that higher scrotal temperatures can damage sperm and affect fertility. And the introduction of new technology such as Bluetooth and infrared connections — which provide wireless links to the internet — has resulted in a growing number of men using the machines on their thighs rather than at a desk.

To keep the testicles at an ideal temperature — and for greater comfort — men naturally sit with their legs further apart than women. When working on a laptop, however, they will adopt a less natural position in order to balance it on their laps, which results in a significant rise in body heat between their thighs.

The latest findings, published in the journal Human Reproduction, give warning that teenagers and young men should consider cutting the time spent with a computer positioned on their lap because of the possible long-term damage to their fertility. Researchers from the State University of New York said their study was the first to look at the effect of heat from laptop computers on scrotal temperature.

Using 29 volunteers aged 21 to 35, the researchers, led by Yefim Sheynkin, found that sitting with the thighs together to balance a laptop caused scrotal temperatures to rise by 2.1C. But when the laptop was in use, average temperatures rose by 2.6C on the left of the scrotum and 2.8C on the right.

Research this year showed that sperm counts have dropped by almost a third in a decade
    . A study of 7,500 men who attended the Aberdeen Fertility Centre, at the University of Aberdeen, between 1989 and 2002, showed average sperm concentrations fell by nearly 30 per cent. The reasons are unclear, but drug use, alcohol, smoking and obesity are factors. Pesticides, chemicals and radioactive material have also been linked to decreases in fertility.

Now the growing popularity of laptops could also affect sperm production.
    Dr Sheynkin said: “By 2005, there will be 60 million laptops in the US and 150 million worldwide. Continued improvements in power, size and price have favoured their increased use in younger people and laptop sales now exceed those of desktop computers.”

The researcher said that laptops could reach internal operating temperatures of more than 70C (158F).The average surface temperature of the computers used in the experiment increased from nearly 31C (87.8F) at the start of the test to nearly 40C (104F) after one hour.

“The body needs to maintain a proper testicular temperature for normal sperm production and development,” Dr Sheynkin said. “Portable computers in a laptop position produce scrotal hyperthermia by both the direct heating effect of the computer and the sitting position necessary to balance the computer.”

Dr Sheynkin said they did not know the exact frequency and time of heat exposure that would lead to reversible or irreversible changes to sperm. But he said that frequent use of laptops over years without sufficient recovery time between exposures “may cause irreversible or partially reversible changes in male reproductive function”.

The study found that within the first 15 minutes of using a laptop, scrotal temperatures had increased by 1C (33.8F).

“Until further studies provide more information on this type of thermal exposure, teenage boys and young men may consider limiting their use of laptop computers on their laps, as long-term use may have a detrimental effect on their reproductive health,” Dr Sheynkin said.

COMPUTERS — THE VITAL STATISTICS

There are an estimated 100 million laptop users in the world

Of the five million laptops in Britain, about 100,000 are damaged each year and another 67,000 stolen

More than £1.5 billion was spent on laptops in Britain last year, with more than three million laptops made in this country

A recent poll found that laptops were the third most popular gadget in Britain, after digital cameras and mobile phones

While a mobile phone is sold to a Briton every minute, a laptop computer is bought every two minutes

More than 400 laptops have gone missing from government departments in more than two years, according to a parliamentary answer from Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary

Almost 600 other computers have disappeared from the Ministry of Defence in the past five years

Recent research suggests that using computers intensively heightens the chance of developing glaucoma, which can lead to blindness

People with short sight run almost double the risk. Intensive computer use has also been linked to increased incidences of short-sightedness

Other studies have suggested that radiation emitted by computer screens is responsible for headaches, anxiety, flu-like symptoms and even muscular pain

The emissions from a desktop computer were found to have a range of 18ft and be capable of penetrating through 8ft of concrete

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...395183,00.html

Member Array

Internet 'rewires our brains' and makes teenagers vulnerable to mental illness

By Daily Mail Reporter

Young people are losing the ability to concentrate because of the internet, a controversial new study suggests.

Researchers say the digital revolution may be 'rewiring' the brains of children and teenagers - making it easier for them multi-task, but making it harder to pay attention for any length of time.

The findings add to the growing concerns that the rise of the internet and the proliferation of electronic gadgets isn't just changing people's behaviour, it is also changing the way they think.

Prof David Nicholas at University College London tested the ability of 100 volunteers to answer a series of questions by surfing the internet.

Early results from the study found that 12 to 18 year olds spent less time searching for information before giving their answers than older volunteers.

On average they answered a question after looking at half the number of web pages - and spent only one sixth of the time viewing the information - than their elders.

Teenagers who have grown up with the web were also much better at multitasking - or carrying out several mental jobs at once.

The youngest volunteers - born after 1993 - were also more likely to seek out answers from their friends than use reliable sources of information.

Previous research by Prof Nicholas found that younger people use the internet in a different way to their elders, flitting more between sites and rarely returning to the same web page twice.

'The really big surprise was that people seemed to be skipping over the virtual landscape,' he said.

'They were hopping from sites, looking at one or two pages, going to another site, looking at one or two pages and then going on. Nobody seemed to be staying anywhere for very long.'

The study is due to be featured on a BBC2 documentary The Virtual Revolution on Saturday.

Some psychologists have argued that there is no evidence that the internet is changing our brains - and that young people have always struggled to concentrate.

But others have claimed the internet encourages users to dart between pages instead of concentrating on one source such as a book, the traditional staple of student research.

This new 'associative' thinking leaves the majority incapable of 'linear' disciplines like reading and writing at length because their minds have been remoulded to function differently.

Documentary presenter and social psychologist Dr Aleks Krotoski said: 'It seems pretty clear that, for good or ill, the younger generation is being remoulded by the web.

'Facebook's feedback loops are revolutionising how they relate. There is empirical evidence now that information overload and associative thinking may be reshaping how they think.

'For many, this seems to be a bleak prospect - young people bouncing and flitting between a thoughtless, throwaway virtual world.'

Other academics told the programme that younger people are losing the ability to read and study books.

Dr David Runciman, political scientist at Cambridge University,said: 'What I notice about students from the first day they arrive at university is that they ask nervously, 'What do we have to read?'

'When they are told the first thing they have to read is a book, they all now groan, which they didn't use to do five or 10 years ago.

'You say, 'Why are you groaning?' and they say, 'It's a book. How long is it?' 'Books are still at the heart of what it means to be educated and to try to educate. The generation of students I teach see books as peripheral.'

Neuroscientist Baroness Susan Greenfield, a professor at Oxford University, told the documentary that the web and social networking sites were 'infantilising' children's minds and detaching them from reality.

The Virtual Revolution - Homo Interneticus

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDBZvO4VWsg
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3DHlhTLC4
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TE8aIbCeiI
    Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40B1bsvrPnQ
    Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aomqpCSlqhM
    ---------------------------------------

Yes, the internet DOES make you depressed (and I've seen it happen to far too many clever women)
    By Dr Pam Spurr - 11th February 2010

Anybody meeting my client Anna for the first time would be forgiven for thinking she has a perfect life. She is 29, slim, attractive, well-educated and rapidly climbing the career ladder as a solicitor with a dynamic City firm.

Yet her whole demeanour is nothing more than a well-constructed facade.

Rather than spending her evenings at the latest fashionable restaurant, Anna instead spends up to five hours a night on her laptop - obsessively tracking the lives of her ex-boyfriend, old friends and acquaintances and work colleagues.

When she isn't glued to Facebook, Friends Reunited or blogs, she is trawling through gossip websites.

At weekends, when Anna has more time on her hands, it's not unusual for her to devote seven-hour sessions to her voyeuristic monitoring of people she is convinced are all leading more exciting and fulfilling lives than she is.

So, when I saw the Daily Mail report last week on new research linking addictive internet use with depression, I wasn't in the least bit surprised.

The study found that spending too long online can expose a 'dark side'. Those who didn't previously suffer from depression were made to feel gloomy and vulnerable, and those who did often logged off feeling worse.

Sadly, it confirmed a growing trend I've witnessed first-hand over the past ten years in my work as a life coach and agony aunt.

Because, in line with this research from the University of Leeds, I too have discovered that people slip into the murky realms of 'chasing' after a life - of sorts - by surfing the internet for longer and longer periods until it dominates their moods, behaviour and life.

There appears to be a direct relationship between spending more time online and feeling less happy about life, as well as an increased risk of addiction to the internet.

Let's be honest, though, when most of us think of the stereotypical sad and lonely person who gets addicted to surfing the net, we think of a geeky man who probably doesn't have refined social skills or a high 'desirability' rating. He seeks solace in vicarious thrills such as pornography or visiting tawdry chat rooms.

But, in my experience, the people who are falling victim to internet-led addiction and depression are smart, savvy, career women like Anna - and the damaging effects of spending increasing hours online are far more insidious than you can imagine.

Anna initially consulted me about a relationship issue - she'd been finding it hard to get over the man she called the 'love of her life', who'd broken up with her a year earlier.

It soon became obvious to me that she was spending too much time on the internet. She confessed that the more time she spent on social networking sites, the stronger her desire grew to keep up with how everyone else was spending their time.

With complete honesty, she said it seemed a darned sight more interesting and fun than what she was up to.

The irony was that she wasn't contacting these people but, instead, compulsively following them. Anna said she hadn't wanted go out with friends because she feared she'd bore them by droning on about her break-up.

Unfortunately, by isolating herself, she compounded the root of the problem, further damaging her fragile self-confidence.

The further irony is that you can never trust the way people depict their social lives on such sites. Yet someone vulnerable like Anna will fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

You might think it extraordinary that she wasn't actually contacting people she knew - choosing to simply watch their lives play out across the pages of a site.

But this fits in with the pattern of emotional detachment that many who spend too much time on the internet begin to feel: that they're no longer part of this vibrant community and are increasingly isolated from real life.

Anna was also embarrassed about spending hours on celebrity gossip sites - previously she'd never even have considered buying a celebrity magazine. However, she found herself getting engrossed in various stories about the rich and famous.

What was the upshot of all this time spent on her laptop? I'll tell you - she was feeling even worse than after the initial break-up, and with a growing loneliness that she said she'd never experienced previously.

She described it as like an ever-increasing 'black hole' inside of her. The more she tried to fill it - by seeing what was happening in other people's lives - the bigger it grew. Yet Anna hated it when she couldn't spend as much time as she wanted to on these sites.

Like Anna, another client of mine, Ellen, a 42-year-old divorced, stay-at home mother of two young children, experienced feelings of withdrawal - anxiousness, panic and rising anger - when she was prevented from looking at sites she spent a tremendous amount of time on. (This was usually three or four hours non-stop during the day once she got the household chores done, and then logging on again for a few more hours once her children were tucked up.)

For instance, when one of her children was home with a prolonged case of flu in late autumn, constantly interrupting her computer time, Ellen became short tempered with him. She felt dreadful about it later.

Although she originally consulted me about developing the confidence to go back to work, her unhealthy obsession with the internet became the focus of our conversations.

Again, Ellen would strike you as a well-presented and elegant divorcee who probably had to fight off potential suitors - but nothing could be further from the truth.

Although she was fascinated by dating websites, she surfed only the profiles of single men, plus those of other single women who she saw as her 'rivals' - and rivals she felt ill-equipped to compete with.

This doubly damaged her chances of getting out to meet someone and building her confidence to get back to work. She even started to shy away from occasional invitations from old friends to meet a suitable single man they had in mind for her.

Ellen confessed that she'd panic, thinking there was no way they'd like her after the 'amazing women' she'd seen on singles sites.

When so many seemingly capable and sensible women are being sucked into a nightmare of prolonged internet surfing, it's hard not to conclude a serious problem is developing in our increasingly fractured society.

Another case in point is Sarah, 31, whose overuse of the internet started with that very sense of detachment from her normal group of friends, after moving cities for a promotion in the television industry.

Arriving in London having been based in Wales, Sarah was initially excited by the prospect of a new job in a new city. However, long working hours meant she was so shattered when occasionally she had time off, that she rarely took advantage and went back to Wales.

If you end up out of touch with your friends, and too busy to make new ones, it's all too easy to hunch over your laptop for hours at a time.

She found herself trawling fashion and social networking sites. She'd peek at what her old friends were getting up to, and also what her new colleagues were doing in their spare time - and felt incredibly lonely.

Then Sarah would hit the fashion websites and spend much of her salary on clothing. Of course, the brief high she got when new outfits arrived in the post disappeared as soon as she thought about the fact that she had nowhere to wear them.

Obviously, the internet has transformed the way we communicate and has some tremendous benefits, but it will never be a substitute for real relationships or for seeking face-to-face solace in difficult times.

The common thread linking these women was a set of circumstances that damaged their self-esteem and confidence in their own unique way.

For anyone who finds themselves in similar shoes, there's much you can do - as these women all eventually did - to halt a soul-destroying search for 'a life' on the internet.

The first thing is to reconnect with someone you trust and let them know you're lonely. Then it's important to start spending time with people you like. It may mean reconnecting with old friends or developing new friendships.

Either way, it's about recognising how much you've isolated yourself and how your journey back to being part of a social group - even a small one - will be your salvation.

The big stumbling point for many women who end up in a solitary world of the internet is to have the courage to go back to the drawing board and 'reboot' their lives not only socially, but by setting limits on the stresses they place on themselves.

When your days are a little less punishing, you're less likely to seek stress relief in some supposedly 'harmless' internet surfing. Only then will you realise a real life is always more rewarding than a virtual one.

---------------------------------------

Pope says internet users risk 'solitude'

11/13/2010

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday warned that the Internet does not make people more humane but instead risks increasing a "sense of solitude and disorientation" among "numbed" young people.

"A large number of young people... establish forms of communication that to do not increase humaneness but instead risk increasing a sense of solitude and disorientation," Benedict told a Vatican conference on culture.

He also said that young people were being "numbed" by the Internet, adding that the technology was creating an "educational emergency -- a challenge that we can and must respond to with creative intelligence."

Benedict last month said the growing use of new technologies should set off "an alarm bell" as it was blurring the boundary between truth and illusion.

Member Array

How to Unblock Websites

1. Use web proxies.
    Many free online services allow you to access blocked websites through a proxy server. A proxy server is an intermediary between the user and the server where the request was send. Here is a list with the most known resources of web proxies: Proxy.org, HideMyAss.com, Kortaz.com, KProxy.com and Anonymouse.org

2. Use VPN connections.

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is like a tunnel over the public network. The advantage of using VPNs over web proxies is that VPNs are more secure because they are using advanced encryption and allow you to access all the applications (mail, chat, browser etc) in complete anonymity and not only the web sites. The most known free VPN is Hotspot Shield.

3. Use Hide IP software.

These are easy to use and even if the main functionality is to hide IP address and unblock websites, there are applications that can provide you more than that – like cleaning online tracks, testing proxies, manually adding proxy etc. Usually if you choose a free software, then this will provide you a minimal number of proxies and no other features than hiding IP address. Not My IP is one of the latest free hide IP address software that has already gained a large market followed by the old UltraSurf which is already very popular. Regarding paid applications that provide more features and have a complex structure, my recommendations are IP Privacy and Hide My IP.

4. Use Toolbars and Firefox add-ons.

Toolbars and Firefox add-ons are in fact software applications that work on specific browsers and with a simple click you can enable or disable online anonymity.

5. Use translation services.

Introduce the link of the blocked website in the translation field (for example in Google Translator) and choose a random language to translate from because translation from English to English is not supported.

6. Use Google cache.

In the Google search field type cache: before the URL of the blocked website. For example type cache:http://www.domain.com

7. Use Internet Archive.

Internet Archive allows you to view blocked websites through the Wayback Machine. This will retrieve all pages of a specific website indifferent if the website is blocked.

8. Use Web2Mail service.

Web2Mail it is a free email service that can sent to your email address specific web pages. You sign up for an account and get set to receive specific websites by email.

9. Change the http of an URL into https

This is the easiest way to access blocked websites. Of course, this might not work every time but you have many other solutions also. This is the fastest one.

10. Use IP address of the website instead of URL.

To use the IP address of a website instead of URL, you must first find its IP. To do this open command prompt and type: “ping domain.com”.

WARNING:
    Now, that you have so many methods to choose from, it is up to you for the purpose you use them for. Please remember that ONLY YOU are responsible for your activities and we take no responsibility for the same.
    This guest post was written by Elisabeta Ghidiu, who is interested in online privacy and security solutions. You can also write a guest article and share your favorite web services.

Member Array

Block Websites In Windows 7 By Editing Hosts File

Let’s talk something geeky today. Do you know how to block websites? Hmm, I am not talking about any particular browser or about any specific addon. Can you edit hosts file to block websites in Windows 7? Yea, this is what we will discuss today. Although there are several ways by which you can block websites but I guess if you know this method of editing hosts file on your system then you won’t require any other method ever.Hosts files are actually system files which without any DNS resolution maps hostnames and IP addresses. So if you want to completely block any particular website then you have to perform some steps. Lets see what are you supposed to do.Steps To Block Websites In Windows 7

• Locate Hosts file at

C: > WINDOWS > system32 > drivers > etc
    • Open the hosts file with the help of notepad. In this case we are using Notepad ++.

Quick Tip: Make sure you do this with administrator rights. If you don’t have administrator rights then first right click on notepad and Run it as administrator

• Now add a line at the end of this file

127.0.0.1 sitename.com
    • If your hosts file already has “127.0.0.1 localhost” then add the sitename after this. E.g.

127.0.0.1 localhost sitename.com

• Once you are done save the file and now try to access the site which you just blocked with any of your browsers. You will get “server not found” as the error message.

We tested it for twitter.com on 3 browsers – Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Here are the images from these 3 browsers after editing hosts file.

Firefox

Safari

Chrome

This is how you can block websites in Windows 7 by editing hosts file. The blocked site will remain blocked in every browser. There are other methods too as we told you earlier. Some people use the parental control feature of Windows. There are certain software which comes for parental control but we found this one as best method. Try it out and if you have any other method then do share with us

http://www.itechmag.com/block-websites-in-windows-7/