PDA

View Full Version : NetMuslims 2.0

Hussein
Oct-7-2007, 12:19 PM
salam

Over the next week or so, insha Allah, you will see many changes to the Web site ... including the message boards.

One of the nice, new features that we have added is an integrated Video module.

Click on the Video link from the main page and then click the "Add Video" button. Simply copy the URL from YouTube, Daily Motion and 35 other video servers and just paste it into the text field. Within seconds, it will import all data and display it on our site.

Please help me out in loading the site with your favorite videos.

We will also be adding a slew of new games, insha Allah.

*mu$Lim*
Oct-7-2007, 12:53 PM
salam

Over the next week or so, insha Allah, you will see many changes to the Web site ... including the message boards.

One of the nice, new features that we have added is an integrated Video module.

Click on the Video link from the main page and then click the "Add Video" button. Simply copy the URL from YouTube, Daily Motion and 35 other video servers and just paste it into the text field. Within seconds, it will import all data and display it on our site.

Please help me out in loading the site with your favorite videos.

We will also be adding a slew of new games, insha Allah.

Mashallah! awesome, am looking forward to the changes..... May Allah reward you for all your effort Hussein :)

Shadiya
Oct-7-2007, 06:09 PM
I like the bold choice of colour. red and black stand out.

Hussein
Oct-8-2007, 11:06 PM
Actually, that was just a temporary layout to test the new modules.

I am thinking of buying a professional template.

Kindly, everyone, go to the following link:

http://www.joomlashack.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=31

And let me know which template you guys like best. Keep in mind that most of them come in different colors. I was thinking of using a red and black template. Most of them come in red/black, but we can't use any templates that are made specifically for Joomla 1.5, since we are running version 1.0. We may actually upgrade to 1.5, but some of the modules we're using aren't 1.5 compatible.

Also, I'm starting on the new message boards. Should we keep all 30+ forums or should we group some of them together?

*mu$Lim*
Oct-9-2007, 05:53 AM
Also, I'm starting on the newmessage boards. Should we keepall 30+ forums or should we groupsome of them together?

In my personal opinion the forums intermingling, dress/ettiqite, dating and the opposite sex forums should be removed and the threads merged into general or somewhere else because these are unactive topics.....

Also there should just be one place/forum for marrige threads instead of MarriageExperiences, Questions about marriage,Women's thoughts and Men's thoughts :)

Hussein
Oct-9-2007, 09:54 AM
Good point. I guess at the time, we were trying to come up with as many forums as possible.

Aaminah
Oct-9-2007, 11:58 AM
Really any template is fine with me.

Here are my suggestions for the forums:

I Think The Opposite Sex and Intermingling and Dating should be one forum.

Marriage Experiences and Questions about Marriage should be one.

Men's Thoughts and Women's Thought should be left as they are.

And Dress/Etiquette should be with Hijab.

Muslima4life
Oct-9-2007, 04:07 PM
I think we should have a health forum. There a lot of concerns about children taking and that sort of thing. It really wouldn't be if parents were to read the back of the box. Along with other things.

Aaminah
Oct-9-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree. I've been thinking about a Health/Nutrition forum for a while now, too. We'll add it after we switch to the new boards, in sha Allah.

Hussein
Oct-9-2007, 06:47 PM
I've narrowed it down to two layouts:

http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/lush/

http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/smooth/index.php?jos_change_template=js_smoothportal_red

They each have nice features. Lush has pull down menus. Smooth has the red buttons on the left. Please help me pick one.

Kawthar
Oct-9-2007, 11:31 PM
I for one prefer the Smooth template

Hussein
Oct-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Cool... thanks for your feedback.

Muslima4life
Oct-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Can we have a local forum? You know like, post things that happened close to home.

*mu$Lim*
Oct-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Hussein I was thinking that if you are adding a health forum it can also be named Family, health and wellbeing.
jus another suggestion..... that how about merging in one the issues opposite sex, intermingling, dating and friends under the title Social issues....
and the marrige threads under the title Marriage in Islam or Marriage corner.... :)
and if you want narrow it it down it even further:razz: place classifieds into one forum...

personally I think:rolleyes: it would be easier to navigate the msg boards if there are fewer topics

Muslima4life
Oct-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Alright how about we have the Currents Events as a section. So we have local, nation and international. That'll keep abukemesic busy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hussein
Oct-11-2007, 09:20 PM
So are we all in favor of the smoothportal layout?

http://demotemplates.joomlashack.com/smooth/index.php?jos_change_template=js_smoothportal_red

The first step is to pick a layout before we create a new logo.

Muslima4life
Oct-12-2007, 06:14 AM
I guess so Hussein

Aaminah
Oct-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Fine by me.

*mu$Lim*
Oct-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm cool with it... :D

Hussein
Oct-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Just a follow up... insha Allah, the new layout will be up and running soon. We're just playing around with the new logo.

*mu$Lim*
Oct-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Inshallah.... :) :)

Hussein
Oct-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Insha Allah, this is the template we're using:

Leena is working on the logo, but I threw together two. Please let me know if you guys like any of the following logos or combination thereof:

http://netmuslims.com/misc/header1.jpg
http://netmuslims.com/misc/header2.jpg

http://netmuslims.com/misc/header3.jpg

Sis Nur
Oct-27-2007, 04:15 AM
I like the first one.

Hussein
Oct-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Any suggestions for the actual logo? Do you guys like "Net Muslims" in Arabic or the Kaa'aba with the globe in the middle?

Kawthar
Oct-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I think Net Muslims in Arabic looks better

*mu$Lim*
Oct-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I've taken a liking to header two/the second logo...:D

Sis Nur
Oct-28-2007, 05:50 AM
I think Net Muslims in Arabic looks better
I like that one also.

Abu Easa
Oct-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Masha'Allah good work brother Hussain i like the first one as well.

Hussein
Oct-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Like it or not, here's the new layout:

http://www.netmuslims.com/

Insha Allah, now I'll be updating the new message boards. I will post instructions for the new boards, insha Allah.

Sis Nur
Oct-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Masha Allah I like it, good work.

Hussein
Oct-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Insha Allah, the new Web site will be modular, i.e. we will be able to add on many custom, integrateable modules. For example, the message board component can be used for people to post comments to videos, pictures or downloads. We can list new forum posts on the main page. In the message boards, we can show the latest videos, etc. In addition, a member will only need to register for one account to be able to access all the services. Before, a user needed to register for each service. Given my lack of free time, this integration will take a bit of time.

Do I have any volunteers who want to help me out?

Sis Nur
Oct-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Let me know how I might be able to help and insha Allah I will.

Hussein
Nov-1-2007, 08:14 AM
I will soon be cancelling MyMuslimTV, since there is no longer any use for it. In the mean time, I kindly ask everyone to load up the new videos module with videos.

It supports over 30 different video servers, including DailyMotion, YouTube, Metacafe, LiveVideo, iFilm, StupidVideos, Break.com, and many more.

Just copy the link to your favorite video, click on the Videos link over at netmuslims.com and then click on Add Video. Paste in the link and then hit Apply. Select a category, add some tags and then hit save. Oh, don't forget to click the checkbox that says, "publish video".

If you log in, it will display your username. If you don't log in, it will display it as anonymous.

It only takes a few seconds to post a video, so try to get as many videos posted as you can.

jak

*mu$Lim*
Nov-5-2007, 11:28 PM
Wow! mashallah.. great work Hussein :)

Hussein
Nov-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I know I promised a new message boards, but I'm a bit behind and we just moved (again) for the sixth time this year and we don't have Internet at home, yet. Insha Allah, around December or so, I will start to implement the changes.

Aaminah
Nov-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow, six times in a year! :eek:

*mu$Lim*
Feb-4-2008, 10:35 PM
I know I promised a new message boards, but I'm a bit behind and we just moved (again) for the sixth time this year and we don't have Internet at home, yet. Insha Allah, around December or so, I will start to implement the changes.

bump :)

Hussein
Feb-5-2008, 05:42 AM
I never said which year ;)

*mu$Lim*
Feb-5-2008, 10:10 PM
lol Never said which year but I think u meant Dec 07 :razz:..... nah no pressure, I was only just wondering if there was any progress

Hussein
Feb-6-2008, 06:16 AM
Insha Allah, I will get started on it soon. I have a lot of things I need to finish first.

Hussein
Mar-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Bear with me, insha Allah. Three more Web sites to update and then the new forums are next in line.

*mu$Lim*
Mar-18-2008, 11:01 AM
inshallah;)

Hussein
Mar-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, now just one more Web site in line in front of Net Muslims. Insha Allah, we're next.

Hussein
May-1-2008, 08:39 AM
Ok, so someone maliciously hacked the Web site and installed a downloadable virus on many of our applications.

I had to disable some of the features on this site. Insha Allah, I will be replacing the video and game modules with more secure versions. For now, we have a limited number of running applications.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help me with these applications, please let me know. The work is relatively easy, but I lack the time, since I am working around the clock on two other commercial Web sites.

Hussein
Jun-9-2008, 08:09 AM
Ok, I have a question.

For the new message boards, insha Allah, do you guys want us to use your username or your real name?

For real name, you can change it to whatever you want. It doesn't have to be your real name. There is the potential security issue. Usernames are unique and real names can be changed frequently. For example, if user xyz changed his display name to Hussein, for example, you would think that that user was me.... I think I just answered my own question. We'll stick to the username, agreed?

Sis Nur
Jun-10-2008, 03:23 AM
For example, if user xyz changed his display name to Hussein, for example, you would think that that user was me.... I think I just answered my own question. We'll stick to the username, agreed?
LOL! I think we could tell the difference. But I agree, I hate trying to come up with names.

Aaminah
Jun-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Agreed.